Year 2 Regression Under Frost

Just now, Packerhuskerfan said:

UCF fans were happy to see Frost take Chin with him.  Frost needs to get a new DC in the off season and have open competition at the QB spot.  Also, until Frost is willing to adopt to the Big 10 style of play, it will be tough going.

Frost does not need to change his offensive scheme. It can and does work in the Big 10 - look at Ohio State. Hell, look at us in the last half of last season. 

Just like any offense, you need to execute. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The Maudfather said:

Frost does not need to change his offensive scheme. It can and does work in the Big 10 - look at Ohio State. Hell, look at us in the last half of last season. 

Just like any offense, you need to execute. 

I agree.  To a degree.  OSU is full of (80%) 4*-5* kids....Any system would work.  They also have a power element to their spread and not all finesse. I'd also love receivers over 5'10.....Some big tall, physical guys who can win the 50/50 balls and take the top off a D. Again, that's additional personnel and execution.....Disappointed Sat we couldn't punch it in form the 2.....Missed shuffle pass (execution) and IMO, lack of faith in the OL.  Although if I read the box sores correct, Mills carried 6 times that game...(coaching)(Mills was 6-18 3.0 YPC)

I am still waiting for the Husker Power part to catch up.  When the O is clicking, it works...Just seems like we don't have that secret sauce when it is not.  No game plan B.  I think that's a combo of personnel, execution, coaching.....

• Plus1 1

Its easy to blame Chin for all of our woes, but our offense and its staff is questionable as well.  If our offense had shown any signs of life against Colorado, that game would have been over by halftime.  Same for the Purdue game.  I think our offense is as much for the blame as the defense.  If we could sustain a drive, take some  pressure off what is suppose to be our weakest link, it would help.  

Its all about talent and depth.  We lack in both areas, and will until we get every position at least filled with 2 deep Big 10 talent, this might be the scenario for another two seasons.  Our offensive line is or could be the worst in all of college football.

Yeah comparing our roster to Ohio St and others likewise is pointless.  They are Top 5 recruited talent for many seasons now.  If we get a Top 15 class, thats a start in the right direction.  Ohio St replaces draft picks with more draft picks the following year.  

NFL draft is still the biggest indicator of talent on a roster.  Were lucky to have a player selected and others have to replace a whole roster.  When we start to see players get drafted, our win-loss record will reflect it.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, lo country said:

I agree.  To a degree.  OSU is full of (80%) 4*-5* kids....Any system would work.  They also have a power element to their spread and not all finesse. I'd also love receivers over 5'10.....Some big tall, physical guys who can win the 50/50 balls and take the top off a D. Again, that's additional personnel and execution.....Disappointed Sat we couldn't punch it in form the 2.....Missed shuffle pass (execution) and IMO, lack of faith in the OL.  Although if I read the box sores correct, Mills carried 6 times that game...(coaching)(Mills was 6-18 3.0 YPC)

I am still waiting for the Husker Power part to catch up.  When the O is clicking, it works...Just seems like we don't have that secret sauce when it is not.  No game plan B.  I think that's a combo of personnel, execution, coaching.....

This offense is literally built for less talented teams, to a degree. 

Certainly needs a capable QB with decent mobility and better decision making. It's a spread option team, for the most part, built on finding numbers advantages with crafty pre snap motions and efficiently making reads. We run the triple option offense from the shotgun, with some modern flare and downfield passing. Again, it's about reading the defense efficiently.

Really, it's a fun offense to watch when it's humming. We just don't have that McKenzie Milton type guy just yet to put this thing into hyperspeed. We'll hit on a QB eventually - could be Luke or could be Smothers. Smothers has a ton of McKenzie Milton in him from the film I've seen. Let Frost continue to recruit to this scheme and we're going to be fine. 

The offense works a little better without the cutesy situational gaffes, but I respect the fact that Frost is still learning too. 

• Plus1 2

The scheme itself isn't the problem. it's most of the people involved in making it work.

Frost's playcalling has been pretty questionable at times this season. What particularly annoys me is a preoccupation with the screen/horizontal-passing game(especially don't get throwing to Stoll) and getting too damn cute down near the goalline.  Also there's been plenty of times when it looked like Frost does have a "fear of failure" and gone into "playing not to lose" mode. 

Not sure what's going-on with AM but he hasn't developed in the slightest and has actually seemed to regress some. He was the lowest-graded player on our O Saturday,  I think Vedral wins that game.

Our O-line does improve over the course of the season, why I think Austin will work-out fine once he has his own recruits. They had their best game against Purdue. But they've been plenty problematic, it all starts up-front.

TE's have been underwhelming both seasons. Add Beckton to the list of coaches I could do without.

At WR we have JD and that's about it. Would have Wandale too but we need him at rb right now. Noa has his moments but hasn't had the impact I thought he would. The loss of Andre Hunt may have hurt us more than we thought, he was penciled in to start this season. Wonder if others enter the transfer portal with Miles. On the positive side we've caught the ball better the last two games.

Turnovers and dumb penalties just can't happen.  Playing smart, clean, detail-oriented football is vital. Quality teams really get after it AND are technically sound

Between all these issues one thing or the other has killed a lot of drives.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 11/5/2019 at 3:36 AM, Danimal said:

The scheme itself isn't the problem. it's most of the people involved in making it work.

Not sure what's going-on with AM but he hasn't developed in the slightest and has actually seemed to regress some. He was the lowest-graded player on our O Saturday,  I think Vedral wins that game.

That spells leadership issues, to some.  Me included.  It also spells the "losing culture" meme I'm suspecting (in the long run).

I feel that Frost can't sense that stuff yet.  What I do like is what he did at UCF under those conditions.  It seems that it should be happening here.  It ain't.  I wanna say, "yet."  It ain't yet.  Or..it just ain't.  :confucius:dunno

On 11/4/2019 at 10:01 PM, Nebhawk said:

Its easy to blame Chin for all of our woes, but our offense and its staff is questionable as well.  If our offense had shown any signs of life against Colorado, that game would have been over by halftime.  Same for the Purdue game.  I think our offense is as much for the blame as the defense.  If we could sustain a drive, take some  pressure off what is suppose to be our weakest link, it would help.  

Its all about talent and depth.  We lack in both areas, and will until we get every position at least filled with 2 deep Big 10 talent, this might be the scenario for another two seasons.  Our offensive line is or could be the worst in all of college football.

I agree with most of your sentiment.  All staff positions need to be under evaluation, including on offense. What exactly is Troy Walters doing?  How about the offensive line coach...I have not seen much improvement from that group.  

I agree that the overall offensive scheme has been proven to be effective which is why I believe more attention is being placed on the defense.  Chin's schemes and coaching has not yielded any great defenses in his short tenure as a DC, so there is no baseline to show it can work. If he had a proven track record elsewhere with a really good to great defense, I agree with those suggesting he needs to be given more time, but that is simply not the case.

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

How about the offensive line coach...I have not seen much improvement from that group.  

I think some of our upperclassmen OL have hit their ceiling.

But to say that Cam Jurgens isn't being developed well is just not true.

If Jurgens is a sign of what Frost and Austin can do, our freshmen OL guys will be just fine.

Just now, TheSker said:

If Jurgens is a sign of what Frost and Austin can do, our freshmen OL guys will be just fine.

A guy's floor matters in this discussion. In Jurgens' case, he had no place to go, but up.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Well he is snapping the ball correctly if you are calling that great development.  But for those guys who were here last year too, I am not seeing much growth into this year, and with all the talk of how much stronger the team got in the offseason, we should see at least marginal growth from 2018 to 2019.

13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well he is snapping the ball correctly if you are calling that great development.  But for those guys who were here last year too, I am not seeing much growth into this year, and with all the talk of how much stronger the team got in the offseason, we should see at least marginal growth from 2018 to 2019.

Jurgens has developed in to our best blocking lineman.

The OL did get stronger, but as I said in my post they are probably at their ceiling.

Let's hope the ceiling of players like Benhart, Fritzche and Anderson is much higher.

39 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A guy's floor matters in this discussion. In Jurgens' case, he had no place to go, but up.

He was a tight end, so that isn't true.

But I understand pessimistic views.....there's plenty of them right now.

There are at least two elite former Husker linemen that think Austin is going a pretty good job.

And for someone that had "no place to go, but up" he's the best of our 5 right now......