Year 2 Regression Under Frost

On 11/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

I work with trainers all the time and do not believe that some 20 and 21 year old lineman could have reached their ceiling in the 2018 season. There is always room for additional strength at that age unless they have some unique genetic condition.  There also should be room for growth from a technique perspective which is where the Oline coach comes into the picture. 

Truth.  A male collegiate athlete does not reach a ceiling at 21.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, lo country said:

I agree.  To a degree.  OSU is full of (80%) 4*-5* kids....Any system would work.

In the past I would say that is true, but on the defensive side of the ball OSU has changed their system and it has made them a lot better than last year. Talent can't always overcome a bad system. Look at the splits from last year to this year for OSU on defense. Different coaches, different system. So no, it isn't just talent, you need a good system and talent.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, jaws said:

In the past I would say that is true, but on the defensive side of the ball OSU has changed their system and it has made them a lot better than last year. Talent can't always overcome a bad system. Look at the splits from last year to this year for OSU on defense. Different coaches, different system. So no, it isn't just talent, you need a good system and talent.

Which is why they are light years better than last year, and probably even better than the year they won the Natty.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:13 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Man negativity is so easy to find here. People need to try positivity for once.

You must not have been here THIS preseason. 

I prefer REALISM to either pessimism or positivity. They say when a Pessimist looks into a tunnel they see the darkness. An Optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel. A Realist knows that light is just the next train (challenge) coming.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

You must not have been here THIS preseason. 

I prefer REALISM to either pessimism or positivity. They say when a Pessimist looks into a tunnel they see the darkness. An Optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel. A Realist knows that light is just the next train (challenge) coming.

Oh I was.

• 2 weeks later...

So we have officially ended this season with one more win, but we lost 8 games in 2018 by a total of 98 points and 7 games in 2019 by a total of 101 points.  While there have been some marginal improvements with some players, we saw Martinez and the entire offense take a significant step back.  In 8 games against the same opponents between 2018 and 2019, we saw a 14-point drop in points per game (35 points a game in 2018 vs Colorado, Illinois, NW, OSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa vs 21 in 2019).  

The defense made a marginal improvement allowing 35 points a game against these same 7 teams while in 2019 allowing 33 points a game.  

Overall we saw a similar performance on the D side with significant regression offensively.  Both sides had some good moments this season but they also had their share of bad moments. Special teams was a struggle all season long.

Let us not kid ourselves...we will also have a year three regression because our schedule is much harder next season and Frost and his incompetent coaches have shown zero ability to prepare the team to play. Take today’s game for example, Ferentz did absolutely nothing special. His team played boring error free football depending on Epensa, Ojimudia, Nate Stanely, and Sargent. They definitely do not have better talent than us but obviously their coaches are much better than ours. This game came down to Frost making horrible decisions when the game is on the line. Our unspecial teams were extremely unspecial as they have been all year. Do we really think that our coaches are magically going to become experts next year...No...the fact that Frost stuck with Martinez who showed zero spark tells you that he does not have what it takes to turn this sinking ship. At least not yet. The changes he makes in the offseason will tells us how we will be next year but I am sure NO ONE IS HOLDING THEIR BREATHS.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 11/18/2019 at 7:34 AM, jaws said:

Talent sure did pick up a new system quickly.