Year 2 Regression Under Frost

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

You are looking at this from the end point. We have a lot of building to do to get to that end point. What is encouraging today isn't so tomorrow. If you really think this is the product Frost will roll onto the field year after year because that's what it was this year I'm not sure we will see eye to eye. 

Well the resume Frost has at Nebraska is based on the past 2 years.  Even within this season we did not see him mix things up much, and there is no sign he is going to make an overhaul to his staff or schemes in the coming years. 

I also am looking at the long view, and when I assess Chin's 4 years as a D coordinator, there is nothing in his resume that suggests he can lead a stout defense.  UCF had to score 50 points to beat their best competition.  Frost needs to surround himself with experienced coordinators that know what they are doing which will allow Frost to be the CEO of the team and hone in on minor areas needing attention. Right now Frost is trying to do it all...address the offense, defense and special teams which all struggled mightily.  If he chooses to focus mainly on the offense for 2020 then we are left trusting Chin again to fix the defense, and our special teams will continue to be a joke.  Had Chin shown success at other schools along the way I would have more faith in him, but I simply do not see it in him.  

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Well the resume Frost has at Nebraska is based on the past 2 years.  Even within this season we did not see him mix things up much, and there is no sign he is going to make an overhaul to his staff or schemes in the coming years. 

I also am looking at the long view, and when I assess Chin's 4 years as a D coordinator, there is nothing in his resume that suggests he can lead a stout defense.  UCF had to score 50 points to beat their best competition.  Frost needs to surround himself with experienced coordinators that know what they are doing which will allow Frost to be the CEO of the team and hone in on minor areas needing attention. Right now Frost is trying to do it all...address the offense, defense and special teams which all struggled mightily.  If he chooses to focus mainly on the offense for 2020 then we are left trusting Chin again to fix the defense, and our special teams will continue to be a joke.  Had Chin shown success at other schools along the way I would have more faith in him, but I simply do not see it in him.  

Chinander has improved every defense he has been DC for. I'm sorry but coaches can't make a team a top defensive unit right away. It takes players too. The best you can ask of a coach is make the team better than the year before. He has done that consistently and hasn't been given enough time anywhere to see where that progression plateaus. 

HuskerNation1: “...the resume Frost has at Nebraska is based on the past 2 years. Even within this season we did not see him mix things up much, and there is no sign he is going to make an overhaul to his staff or schemes in the coming years.”

If there was a button to push to make everything all-better, Frost & Co. would have pushed it a long time ago. But they seem to be confused about how to get this ship going in the right direction. That is not recipe for confidence going into next season and beyond.

I think all the Husker powers-that-be have to reevaluate everything about the program. What kind of players are we going after? Why aren’t we doing a better job of mentoring the players we do have? What are the dynamics going on behind the scenes between coaches and players? Why do players keep making the same mistakes? Where are the failings?

Everyone involved in the program needs to look in the mirror and figure out how to do a better job working their particular piece of the Husker program puzzle.

Football is blocking and tackling and wanting it more than the guys on the other side of the scrimmage line. Husker fans have never lost Husker pride, but nationally that pride of Nebraska football has to be built back up again. Nobody fears playing the Big Red. That has to stop. Maybe the Huskers won’t be great any time soon, but opponents can come away gaining respect for a Husker team that played their hearts out and left it all on the field. You might be out-manned, but you never have to be out-hearted.

Martinez is the least accurate passer (and perhaps the slowest blinker, certainly the most indecisive) in the QB room.  He would have the most value in the QB room as a runner, if he used his 225+ lbs frame to run people over, but he's constantly running laterally or trying to find the ground or out of bounds.  Our QBs that give up 20 to 40 lbs to him run with much more authority.  For some reason, Martinez has it in his head that he's "the franchise QB" who can't afford to potentially get hurt.  I don't know whether that has been coached into him or if he determined that on his own, but until he adjusts this attitude, he's of no value to us.  There had better be a QB competition this off season AND he needs to be put on a short leash come early next season.  We open with Purdue, then play  3 quality non-conference foes (one FCS and two mid majors).  Anything less then a 3-1 start spells another December at home.  Adrian may be a great "practice" player, but if he can't get it done on Saturday's we need to move on.  The coaches needs to be more concerned with winning games, than the possibility of losing a poor performing QB, with "potential", to the transfer portal.  I've heard Verduzco say on several occasions that if you have 2 QBs you have no QBs, but when you have a QB that's performing as poorly as Martinez has this year, you ARE getting paid the big bucks to make those changes sooner than later.  

30 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Chinander has improved every defense he has been DC for. I'm sorry but coaches can't make a team a top defensive unit right away. It takes players too. The best you can ask of a coach is make the team better than the year before. He has done that consistently and hasn't been given enough time anywhere to see where that progression plateaus. 

UCF went from being 41st in team defense in 2016 to 53rd in 2017. How did he make the 2017 defense better than 2016?  I realize the 2015 UCF team was not great, but the 2014 UCF team had a top 10 team defense.

And unless I am wrong he has only been a DC for 4 seasons.  There is a huge difference from being a position coach vs being responsible for the entire defense.  To compete in the BIG a team really needs to consistently have a top 30 defense, and to compete for a national title, we really need to be pushing top 20 or top 25 with a very robust offense.  We are 67th in team defense this season. How many more years do we give Chin before he can deliver a top 20 or top 25 defense on a consistent basis?  

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Tell that to PJ Fleck

Fleck did make the decision in year 2 to fire his Defensive coordinator.  Minnesota's team defense was 59th in 2018 and is currently at 28th in 2019.  That is a huge jump by over 30 spots in the team rankings.  I think Fleck made a good executive decision to help Minnesota advance to the next level.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

And Matt Rhule 

And Chris Petersen

And Urban Meyer

And Nick Saban

And pretty much any good coach.

Matt Rhule is someone that more Husker fans should be talking about.  The guy turned around Temple and had sone wonders at Baylor too.  Baylor was a dumpster fire just a couple seasons ago and he has them soaring high in his 3rd year.  We can potentially debate if Baylor was a bigger turnaround job than Nebraska was, but I think that is the type of outcome we should all expect from Frost and company in his 3rd season.  

27 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Matt Rhule is someone that more Husker fans should be talking about.  The guy turned around Temple and had sone wonders at Baylor too.  Baylor was a dumpster fire just a couple seasons ago and he has them soaring high in his 3rd year.  We can potentially debate if Baylor was a bigger turnaround job than Nebraska was, but I think that is the type of outcome we should all expect from Frost and company in his 3rd season.  

We'll talk about him when he takes over at PSU

Husker fans would love him. He uses a fullback

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

The Cincy that barely beat USF this year?  USF being at 4-6 when they played them?  The USF that had over 400 yards total offense?

Yeah, I don't think Cincy will thump us man...sorry, they're just not as good as you're making them out to be.

They went 11-2 last season, and are 10-2 and ranked #17 at the end of this season. I'll trust the consistent performance under a good coach over the last two seasons rather than your cherrypicked transitive property perspective. 

• Plus1 7
Just now, Landlord said:

They went 11-2 last season, and are 10-2 and ranked #17 at the end of this season. I'll trust the consistent performance under a good coach over the last two seasons rather than your cherrypicked transitive property perspective. 

This. It's not gonna be a cakewalk