Year 2 Regression Under Frost

On 11/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

Matt Rhule is someone that more Husker fans should be talking about.  The guy turned around Temple and had sone wonders at Baylor too.  Baylor was a dumpster fire just a couple seasons ago and he has them soaring high in his 3rd year.  We can potentially debate if Baylor was a bigger turnaround job than Nebraska was, but I think that is the type of outcome we should all expect from Frost and company in his 3rd season.  

I think something to note for the offense is the style we are trying to run and the pieces we had. Frost has sucked inside the opponent's 30 yard line, no doubt about it. But the bigger picture of stats is being compared to other teams and offenses is dumb. If he ran an offense that ate up the clock and ran most the time, there would be less b!^@hing. This offense you have to have horses, we don't have enough of them. 3 n outs come a lot more quickly in this offense. I think a lot more points are on the horizon. 

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The numbers McClintock cited line up with the data I gathered when comparing Nebraska to common competition in 2018 vs 2019. In reality the 2018 offense may have overperformed while the 2018 defense underwhelmed, so seeing the offense take a step back from a good 2018 and the 2019 defense make a marginal improvement from a poor 2018 season does little to answer this question:

Is the Nebraska program where many fans expected it to be after 2 full seasons with Frost as the head coach?

Another important question is now looming:

What does the 2020 team need to do to keep faith in Frost and his staff (assuming Frost retains his entire staff for a 3rd season)?

On 12/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, seaofred92 said:

Let's be fair, here....

Baylor was blessed to not get something of a very stiff NCAA violation with all the crap that went down under Briles and Ken Starr.

They weren't going to be stupid and run a coach after coming off a mess like that.

Oh, look at that:

image.png.e1dc0901bc37d41f5ba102823b59d5f1.png

Co-Coordinators?!?  BLASPHEMY!  And Glenn Thomas was his o-Coordinator at Temple!  He was DEMOTED!

:laughpound

Q. Specifically, how far do you expect your quarterback play with Adrian Martinez to be compared to where it was a year ago with everything he learned last year?

SCOTT FROST: Yeah, I wouldn't trade our guy for anybody in the country at that position, at the quarterback position.

2019 Media Days in Chicago.

And August, 2019 - “We're better than we were a year ago ...... light years ahead” (Scott Frost).  Unfortunately, black hole.

So where are we?

We got our dream hire.  We got the guy most of the other top programs looking for new leadership wanted in 2017.  We got a home grown guy.  We got a guy who HAS won a natty, here in dear old Nebraska!

So two years in, we are 9-15.  We haven't sniffed a bowl game since Mike Riley was our coach.  We haven't beaten Iowa in 5 tries.  We lost our home and home to "rival" Colorado.  We aren't gaining any ground in recruiting yet.  We aren't any better off than we were when he got here.

So what does it mean?  Does it mean Riley sunk us even more than we thought possible?  Maybe a little.  Does it mean the rest of the conference is that much further ahed of us?  Maybe a few teams, definitely not most of them.  Does it mean Frost isn't as good as we thought?  Unfortunately, that might be it.

Fact of the matter is, he hasn't exactly blown any of us away yet with teally anything he's done.  Recruiting is about the same.  We barely improved record wise this year.  And so far his game management has been fairly suspect in many crucial situations in must win games.  Let's face it, he had a perfect storm at UCF.  He inherited a team with talent that wasn't well oiled.  He got them oiled quickly.  Plus he didn't have to look far for new players.  And the league he was coaching in was ripe for the picking.  When he left he had built something.  But it wasn't the Boise State story some expected.

Truth is, he is still a coach learning the ropes.  We can't forget that.  He has a total 4 seasons under his belt as a head coach now.  He will undoubtedly get better.  And this team, it's going to get better.  I expect we take that year 2 leap a year late in year 3 and a much better one in year 4.  I'm trying to be patient because I have no choice.  I'm sick of saying next year.  It makes me sick.  5 years of absolutely putrid football.  It needs to improve damned soon.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

So where are we?

We got our dream hire.  We got the guy most of the other top programs looking for new leadership wanted in 2017.  We got a home grown guy.  We got a guy who HAS won a natty, here in dear old Nebraska!

So two years in, we are 9-15.  We haven't sniffed a bowl game since Mike Riley was our coach.  We haven't beaten Iowa in 5 tries.  We lost our home and home to "rival" Colorado.  We aren't gaining any ground in recruiting yet.  We aren't any better off than we were when he got here.

So what does it mean?  Does it mean Riley sunk us even more than we thought possible?  Maybe a little.  Does it mean the rest of the conference is that much further ahed of us?  Maybe a few teams, definitely not most of them.  Does it mean Frost isn't as good as we thought?  Unfortunately, that might be it.

Fact of the matter is, he hasn't exactly blown any of us away yet with teally anything he's done.  Recruiting is about the same.  We barely improved record wise this year.  And so far his game management has been fairly suspect in many crucial situations in must win games.  Let's face it, he had a perfect storm at UCF.  He inherited a team with talent that wasn't well oiled.  He got them oiled quickly.  Plus he didn't have to look far for new players.  And the league he was coaching in was ripe for the picking.  When he left he had built something.  But it wasn't the Boise State story some expected.

Truth is, he is still a coach learning the ropes.  We can't forget that.  He has a total 4 seasons under his belt as a head coach now.  He will undoubtedly get better.  And this team, it's going to get better.  I expect we take that year 2 leap a year late in year 3 and a much better one in year 4.  I'm trying to be patient because I have no choice.  I'm sick of saying next year.  It makes me sick.  5 years of absolutely putrid football.  It needs to improve damned soon.

I think there's a good chance you're way off in your assessment of recruiting.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

So where are we?

After 2 seasons with Frost as the head coach, I think much of what you said is true.  Here are a couple things to consider...one in defense of Frost and one that may not speak as well of him.

1.  Frost inherited a Nebraska team that was 28-23 in the four years before he arrived and with one bowl win.  It was not a great stretch over a 4 year period. 

2. Frost inherited a UCF team that went 31-21 in the four seasons before he arrived including a Fiesta bowl win and a top 10 finish to the 2013 season. 

At Nebraska the culture was starting to go downhill with some of Pelinis antics and the transition to Riley was not smooth. Riley dug things into the ground all around.

Meanwhile at UCF Frost took over for a coach who had many strong seasons at the school and that resulted in fewer transitions for the players brought in the back in 2014 to 2016.  Thus he had a better culture with better talent and everything worked out magically in 2017 despite not having recruited most of the players who made an impact.

In summary, was Frosts 2017 season a true depiction of his coaching aptitude? After seeing these past 2 seasons I feel too much weight had been placed on that one season. But, he also inherited a bigger mess at Nebraska so he does deserve another season to show significant improvements in the program.