Year 2 Regression Under Frost

Frost happened upon a formula that can make a Florida kid successful, a system not really all that dissimilar to Florida under Steve Spurrier.  When he came back to Nebraska he denied his roots and stuck to the UCF plan.  His offense is consistent in that it either a drought or it pours, but lacks the steadiness of a rainy day.  His defense plays a similar all or nothing style, without the journeyman level of talent he could find in Florida.

18 minutes ago, madrat said:

Frost happened upon a formula that can make a Florida kid successful, a system not really all that dissimilar to Florida under Steve Spurrier.  When he came back to Nebraska he denied his roots and stuck to the UCF plan.  His offense is consistent in that it either a drought or it pours, but lacks the steadiness of a rainy day.  His defense plays a similar all or nothing style, without the journeyman level of talent he could find in Florida.

Frost has definitely denied his roots.

His offense works better in lesser talent leagues, or it only works when you have superior talent.   It’s not a big boy offense.

If Frost wants to stick with his sideways offense he needs a killer defense and special teams.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

After 2 seasons with Frost as the head coach, I think much of what you said is true.  Here are a couple things to consider...one in defense of Frost and one that may not speak as well of him.

1.  Frost inherited a Nebraska team that was 28-23 in the four years before he arrived and with one bowl win.  It was not a great stretch over a 4 year period. 

2. Frost inherited a UCF team that went 31-21 in the four seasons before he arrived including a Fiesta bowl win and a top 10 finish to the 2013 season. 

At Nebraska the culture was starting to go downhill with some of Pelinis antics and the transition to Riley was not smooth. Riley dug things into the ground all around.

Meanwhile at UCF Frost took over for a coach who had many strong seasons at the school and that resulted in fewer transitions for the players brought in the back in 2014 to 2016.  Thus he had a better culture with better talent and everything worked out magically in 2017 despite not having recruited most of the players who made an impact.

In summary, was Frosts 2017 season a true depiction of his coaching aptitude? After seeing these past 2 seasons I feel too much weight had been placed on that one season. But, he also inherited a bigger mess at Nebraska so he does deserve another season to show significant improvements in the program.

UCF 2017 was Fools Gold and we fell for it.  

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Redux said:

I wouldn't go that far.  He just coached the team he had.  He hasn't done that here yet.

If you go back and watch the ending of their last 3 in 2017, they got crazy lucky.

Poor clock management and bad defense down the stretch of games, just what we are now getting without the luck.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, madrat said:

+1 Well said

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think this is a fair point,  but that really means next year is a "Put up or shut up" year as the team should consist of at least 75% of his recruits that he and his staff chose to bring in. 

It is.  And he HAS to know now that losing close games is not going to cut it in year 3.

1 hour ago, SFW said:

We may have more draft picks this year on D than they did.  Problem is we are playing better talent each week and getting flat out....out coached.

Draft picks mean squat as far as chemistry and buy in go.  If a unit gels it doesn't matter.  That UCF unit gelled in clutch situations.  Frost's Husker squads have not. 

• Plus1 1

Does everybody have their mind made up about him?  Did anybody change their mind about him as the two seasons unfolded? 

I've seen posts here that fall solidly in favor of Frost and progress some have seen.  I've seen (and written) posts here that express more than just disappointment, but dismay and dread for the future as we made bad teams look good and good teams look very good (with a few exceptions).  

I'm beginning to think he has more than I first thought.. but not by much.  I still think Scott Frost is limited and that he's a fine coach for conferences like AAC, etc, or perhaps as a position coach somewhere as before in his career.  I still think he's in over his head and that The Peter Principle applies. 

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Does everybody have their mind made up about him?  Did anybody change their mind about him as the two seasons unfolded? 

I've seen posts here that fall solidly in favor of Frost and progress some have seen.  I've seen (and written) posts here that express more than just disappointment, but dismay and dread for the future as we made bad teams look good and good teams look very good (with a few exceptions).  

I'm beginning to think he has more than I first thought.. but not by much.  I still think Scott Frost is limited and that he's a fine coach for conferences like AAC, etc, or perhaps as a position coach somewhere as before in his career.  I still think he's in over his head and that The Peter Principle applies. 

The opinions I'm most interested in are those of Jason Peter for example.  He has a good idea what goes on behind the scenes as Frost gives him access to practice.  He's a credible voice that wants the best for the football program.

While you might spend your time twisting in the wind about what's going on, there are some very credible men that believe Frost is headed in the right direction with the program.

Nearly every former player that I've read or heard has said Frost can obviously improve as a coach, but the talent level he's working with isn't there yet.

The 2019 season is done.  If you want some optimism, which you truly might not, take an occasional glance at the what's happening on the recruiting trail.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
On 12/5/2019 at 12:30 PM, BIG ERN said:

If he ran an offense that ate up the clock and ran most the time, there would be less b!^@hing. This offense you have to have horses, we don't have enough of them. 3 n outs come a lot more quickly in this offense. I think a lot more points are on the horizon. 

If this site is accurate:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

we ran the ball 60.74% of the time and threw it 39.26% of the time. Ohio State ran it 61.96% of the time and threw it 38.04% of the time.

So Frost does run an offense that tries to run the ball to move the chains. We just couldn't do it because we didn't start blocking decent until the 9th game of the year (Wisconsin). I just don't think it's true that "3 & outs come more quickly in this offense." I think our offense just sucked this season.

• Plus1 2