Year 2 Regression Under Frost

31 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If you want some optimism, which you truly might not, take an occasional glance at the what's happening on the recruiting trail.

Nah.  I mean, I do see what's going on with recruiting (and hopeful recruiting as with a juco here and there talked about).  But I get my optimism from performance during the season.

It's just that, no matter the quality of the guys coming in, they've still got Scott Frost as the head coach.  You know?

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Nah.  I mean, I do see what's going on with recruiting (and hopeful recruiting as with a juco here and there talked about).  But I get my optimism from performance during the season.

It's just that, no matter the quality of the guys coming in, they've still got Scott Frost as the head coach.  You know?

Great coaches are able to maximize performance from the talent they have. Frost had enough talent to have more wins than 9 over the past 2 seasons, so I agree with you that truly great football is a combination of talent and coaching acumen. The talent we can upgrade with recruiting, but the coaching acumen will require changes in philosophies and approach.  We will likely hear this offseason if Frost intends to make any changes or stick with what he's been doing previously. 

To get to Sker's comment, there are some good recruits we are talking too, and Nebraska is currently 28th in the 247 composite.  We still have a long way to go to crack the top 15 or 20 this year which is where we need to get to in order to compete against some of the top programs in the country.  We finished 23rd in 2018 and 18th in 2019, so hopefully Frost and staff can improve upon those results for the 2020 class.  Do you think he can improve upon the team recruiting ranking from 2019?

"Regression" is a hard word for me to use as a blanket statement for two reasons: first, they won more games this year than they did last. It may have only been one, and that may not matter that much to some people, but it matters to me. I'm long past the point of taking wins for granted.

Second, I saw improvement in some areas (i.e. penalties), but felt there was a fair amount of stagnation and/or regression happening in other areas. Some of that stagnation or regression was also shockingly disappointing i.e. Martinez' play, some of the play-calling, lack of overall WR depth, etc.

I guess where I would land is that I did expect a bit more by this point. I don't feel ashamed to admit that because I bet you that's probably the feeling for a lot of people (including the coaches/players) at One Memorial Drive. But, I'm still all board the Frost train at this point.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

We've got many years of rough waters ahead.

fify ;)

And I hope we're wrong.  Moos could have shied away from the pr gimmick of getting Scott Frost, ".. to save the sellout streak," as he said, and instead thought things through and went after a proven big name guy to really right this program.  Somebody who top recruits would have followed in.   I hope I'm mistaken in my feeling that he's going to regret what he did. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

fify ;)

And I hope we're wrong.  Moos could have shied away from the pr gimmick of getting Scott Frost, ".. to save the sellout streak," as he said, and instead thought things through and went after a proven big name guy to really right this program.  Somebody who top recruits would have followed in.   I hope I'm mistaken in my feeling that he's going to regret what he did. 

I'm good with the direction "we're" headed.  Thanks.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

fify ;)

Who should he have hired instead? It wasn't a pr gimmick, Frost was the hottest available coach for any opening, not just Nebraska. It's fair to wonder how good a coach he currently is to some degree - this isn't the AAC, and that easily could've been a 10-2 season instead of 12-0. But that's true for a lost of undefeated seasons, and it at least shows he's not a bad coach. I think a little more time is justified before claiming he's not a good coach, and that top recruits won't follow him.

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

fify ;)

This is a terrible take.  There was no other choice to be made and to think otherwise is just being in denial or intentionally contradictory. 

Everyone wanted Frost and there was no one else who matched the bold who would have come.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Who should he have hired instead? It wasn't a pr gimmick, Frost was the hottest available coach for any opening, not just Nebraska. It's fair to wonder how good a coach he currently is to some degree - this isn't the AAC, and that easily could've been a 10-2 season instead of 12-0. But that's true for a lost of undefeated seasons, and it at least shows he's not a bad coach. I think a little more time is justified before claiming he's not a good coach, and that top recruits won't follow him.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

This is a terrible take.  There was no other choice to be made and to think otherwise is just being in denial or intentionally contradictory. 

Everyone wanted Frost and there was no one else who matched the bold who would have come.  

I understand the way that many Husker fans are seeing that.  It was quite tempting for me to see it that way, too.  But I see it very differently, and I dare say in some cases, going by what you guys are saying, the very things you're mentioning as what is so good about the hire are what have others worried, not the least of which is, "everyone wanted Frost."   That is a horrible reason to hire somebody for big bux at a school that has had a progressively failing football program for two decades (and counting).  That reason smacks of a gimmick. 

You hire a coach to run a (formerly) major program who is with no doubt proven.  Scott Frost can be seen that way only if we use our imagination as to his resume.   Moos was stating things himself, nobody put those words in his mouth;  it's a quote (after another Nebraska loss).  He was responding to criticism of the hire;  he stated that he wanted to save the sellout streak.  I have no doubt that he was also hopeful that, besides the sellout streak and satisfying the fan base with a good Nebraska name guy, he had other reasons and confidence.  But he also stated that he'd be fine with just six wins this second season.  Hello.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I understand the way that many Husker fans are seeing that.  It was quite tempting for me to see it that way, too.  But I see it very differently, and I dare say in some cases, going by what you guys are saying, the very things you're mentioning as what is so good about the hire are what have others worried, not the least of which is, "everyone wanted Frost."   That is a horrible reason to hire somebody for big bux at a school that has had a progressively failing football program for two decades (and counting).  That reason smacks of a gimmick. 

You hire a coach to run a (formerly) major program who is with no doubt proven.  Scott Frost can be seen that way only if we use our imagination as to his resume.   Moos was stating things himself, nobody put those words in his mouth;  it's a quote (after another Nebraska loss).  He was responding to criticism of the hire;  he stated that he wanted to save the sellout streak.  I have no doubt that he was also hopeful that, besides the sellout streak and satisfying the fan base with a good Nebraska name guy, he had other reasons and confidence.  But he also stated that he'd be fine with just six wins this second season.  Hello.

Who though? None of the "proven" ones are taking a Nebraska rebuild job. Les Miles? No thanks. I don't think the sole reason Frost was hired was to save the streak. He was as qualified as you can be with only 2 years of head coaching experience, which can definitely be seen as less qualified than other coaches. But it's not like we hired him straight from a coordinator position. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

Here are some stats I compiled against common competition between 2018 and 2019. Our offensive production went way down in 2019 overall.

2018 Win/Loss Points Scored Points Allowed Total Yards Yards Allowed
Colorado L 28 33 565 395
Illinois W 54 35 606 509
Northwestern L 31 34 482 487
Ohio State L 31 36 450 481
Minnesota W 53 28 659 474
Purdue L 28 42 582 516
Wisconsin L 24 41 518 533
Iowa L 28 31 400 419
Average   35.6 35.6 552 485

2019 Win/Loss Points Scored Points Allowed Total Yards Yards Allowed
Colorado L 31 34 469 464
Illinois W 42 38 674 299
Northwestern L 13 10 319 293
Ohio State L 7 48 231 580
Minnesota W 7 34 299 450
Purdue L 27 31 375 449
Wisconsin L 21 37 493 482
Iowa L 24 27 284 324
Average   21.1 33.1 409 431

Holy Chinander

• Haha 1
On 12/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Undone said:

If this site is accurate:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

we ran the ball 60.74% of the time and threw it 39.26% of the time. Ohio State ran it 61.96% of the time and threw it 38.04% of the time.

So Frost does run an offense that tries to run the ball to move the chains. We just couldn't do it because we didn't start blocking decent until the 9th game of the year (Wisconsin). I just don't think it's true that "3 & outs come more quickly in this offense." I think our offense just sucked this season.

Time of possession - we run a no huddle. We don't eat the clock and times we have this year is because Frost didn't trust this offense. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Time of possession - we run a no huddle. We don't eat the clock and times we have this year is because Frost didn't trust this offense. 

No arguments there. I guess I've lost track about whether the main point is our defense getting gassed or our offense not moving the chains.

I've said this a bunch of times and will probably say it another couple dozen times throughout this offseason: I think that terrible special teams play was the biggest problem this season. I don't really have a problem with play calling and I'm not even that concerned about Martinez's sophomore slump turning into a junior slump.

Fix the damn special teams problems by game one and we go to a bowl next year.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Undone said:

No arguments there. I guess I've lost track about whether the main point is our defense getting gassed or our offense not moving the chains.

I've said this a bunch of times and will probably say it another couple dozen times throughout this offseason: I think that terrible special teams play was the biggest problem this season. I don't really have a problem with play calling and I'm not even that concerned about Martinez's sophomore slump turning into a junior slump.

Fix the damn special teams problems by game one and we go to a bowl next year.

I always felt Held would be a better option at ST than Dewitt 

• Plus1 1
On 12/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, Redux said:

Draft picks mean squat as far as chemistry and buy in go.  If a unit gels it doesn't matter.  That UCF unit gelled in clutch situations.  Frost's Husker squads have not. 

Yep.  Recruits respond to team mission, not much to team stated mission.  They feel it and they're together.. very few words.. lots of fire.