Year 2 Regression Under Frost

6 hours ago, madrat said:

He certainly cannot manage talent at his current position.  It really takes half a season to recognize guys like Mills or Ozigbo are the workhorses?  Not a good look.

I'll agree on Ozigbo but not Mills. He didn't get patient with blocks until half way through the year 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I'll agree on Ozigbo but not Mills. He didn't get patient with blocks until half way through the year 

I'm not sure the OL even knew where they were blocking.  But watching his reads he only missed a couple of lanes.  The patience issue was kind of overblown.  The guy had no issues following blocking at his previous school and his ability to break tackles for YAC was never in question.  The only real knock on him was something he corrected by his own homegrown method, carrying the football with him everywhere.  He wasn't the only guy that had butterfingers at that time, because it was at the same time period we couldn't even consistently complete snaps.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, madrat said:

He certainly cannot manage talent at his current position.  It really takes half a season to recognize guys like Mills or Ozigbo are the workhorses?  Not a good look.

I see it a different way. Coming into the season, there was an air of "Frost is going to go 'Full UCF Year 2'" with the playbook. He tried that, and it actually worked fairly well through the first half of the season.

Then Martinez got hurt in the Northwestern game. And then Washington got kicked off the team. I believe Frost played the trump card to redshirt Rahmir Johnson, not Held.

So you're kind of painting it as if Held was micromanaging all of these decisions...when the reality is that Mills was really the only viable back by about the 2/3 point in the season due to all of this. Then Frost altered the game plan to make Mills the focal point of the offensive attack, the line started blocking a bit better, and boom - you have Mills with 188 yards against Wisconsin.