Another Thread Complaining about Ads

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

@GSG If you close the ad at the bottom, does the white bar go away to or not? Mine stays there blank, obstructing everything below it.

On the mobile version the box stays. So what I did was change to desktop in my chrome setting so I could close the whole bar to make my post. It was a pain in the a$$ to say the least

Not a complaint, but just a general comment about ads:  

You can't stop the ads on this site, but you can influence their content.  Last week I decided to try a new brand of golf balls.  So I googled "srixon Q-start yellow sale" (not in quotes).  I got a decent price and bought a couple dozen.  So then for the next several days about half my ads on HB were for golf balls!  I'd rather see ProV1X ads than ads for some random s#!t I'm not interested in.  

Last week a friend asked me whether I though a used Flightscope is a good deal (golf ball flight sensor).  So I googled that.  This morning all seven ads on the front page of HB were for different golf related products. 

Summary:  You can't stop the ads, but you can at least influence their content by making a few directed google searches.  Using the word "sale" in the search seems to increase the influence of that search.  The searches I make daily for my job never result in related ads (I think) because I'm not looking to buy something or compare prices (and don't use the word "sale" in the work searches).  

So there's that.  :) 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, NUance said:

You can't stop the ads on this site, but you can influence their content.  Last week I decided to try a new brand of golf balls.  So I googled "srixon Q-start yellow sale" (not in quotes).  I got a decent price and bought a couple dozen.  So then for the next several days about half my ads on HB were for golf balls!  I'd rather see ProV1X ads than ads for some random s#!t I'm not interested in.  

Last week a friend asked me whether I though a used Flightscope is a good deal (golf ball flight sensor).  So I googled that.  This morning all seven ads on the front page of HB were for different golf related products. 

Summary:  You can't stop the ads, but you can at least influence their content by making a few directed google searches.  Using the word "sale" in the search seems to increase the influence of that search.  The searches I make daily for my job never result in related ads (I think) because I'm not looking to buy something or compare prices (and don't use the word "sale" in the work searches).  

So THAT'S why I'm seeing all of these DIY home proctology exam ads. 

• Plus1 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, NUance said:

This is true to a point.  Yes I am now seeing ads for shoes as I was just on d!(k's Sporting Goods site ordering some.

But I am also seeing ads for Thai and Filipino Women.  I have not searched for dates from Asian women, so what in my browsing history are causing those ads?

FWIW, digital advertising is not exclusively based off of browsing history. Sometimes there's remnant backfill that's serving to anyone anywhere it can just to get impressions. Some agencies may also just be lazily pushing ads to the masses or do some very basic targeting like 'males in area X' or 'males between ages y and z.' 

Digital advertising can be very sophisticated but not always.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

This is true to a point.  Yes I am now seeing ads for shoes as I was just on d!(k's Sporting Goods site ordering some.

But I am also seeing ads for Thai and Filipino Women.  I have not searched for dates from Asian women, so what in my browsing history are causing those ads?

Heh, I'm seeing those same ads fr Thai and Filipino women.  I'm pretty sure I've never done any search that would result in that.  

Experiment: I tried an experiment just now:  I googled "lazy boy barcalounger sale" (not in quotes though), and opened an ad for a barcalounger.  I'm not in the market to buy a chair--just wanted to see how it affected my HB ads.  

Result:  Within one minute I was seeing barcalounger ads on HB.  The big ad right in the middle of a thread!  lol  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 4:22 AM, The Dude said:

The damn CMU banner is bigger than the Huskerboard banner.  :lol:

Screenshot_20200329-041454_Chrome.jpg

In fairness, that's somewhat common. My company regularly fulfills a high impact ad position that's 1920x600 and is waaaay bigger than most sites' mastheads.

• 2 weeks later...