BlitzFirst

AdBlocker Warning

Heya,

I have my ad blocker disabled.  I have privacy badger disabled.  I have NO BLOCKING mechanisms on my browser for this forum.  And I'm prompted 4-5 times in a row to disable my ad blocker.  It's stupid and your website metrics will be slanted for fake page views giving you bad CTR for your ads and reduce the amount of money you make.

Think you can fix that piece of trash pop up to stop doing it after 2 times or something?   This is some really stupid s#!t.

• Thanks 3

I'm also having this issue - though I have Ka'block which is not listed as one of your selections to whitelist directly I've done so - each time I load a new page or click a link Im prompted.

Have I somehow missed the opportunity to purchase no ads or has that not become available yet?  

This is unbearable, I'd assume your traffic is down from where it was when you purchased the site - at what time does that decline make this model unmanageable on your end?   Has there been any more consideration given to funding the site with a donation drive as we've done in years past?

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I'm also having this issue - though I have Ka'block which is not listed as one of your selections to whitelist directly I've done so - each time I load a new page or click a link Im prompted.

Have I somehow missed the opportunity to purchase no ads or has that not become available yet?  

This is unbearable, I'd assume your traffic is down from where it was when you purchased the site - at what time does that decline make this model unmanageable on your end?   Has there been any more consideration given to funding the site with a donation drive as we've done in years past?

Traffic is UP.

Because you have to refresh the page 3-4 times for the ad blocker.

7 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

AH!  Thank you.

Curses.  This is so sad.

I've hosted websites since 1996 and been a Unix/Linux System admin since then...I've installed and managed over 30 different content management systems and forums.  I know where the owner is coming from...but I don't support it any longer because forums, blogs, and websites have changed with the onset of ad blockers in recent years.  Ads are no longer the money maker they used to be.  Thus page impressions and click-through rates for ads no longer matter much in the big scheme of things...he probably sees the increased traffic and thinks that it means the changes are seen as positive.

What he's forgetting is that people don't have to come here..This forum isn't tied to a news source like Huskermax is so people only come here for the community.  By limiting pages, inserting tons of ads, and requiring ad blocker turn offs, he's going against the standard function of the forum, limiting discussion, and thus adversely affecting the community.

Communities exist because people are willing to gather in a place (virtual or physical) and discuss things.  If you take the joy out of that with these annoyances, people will find a new place to gather and your investment on buying this website will be a losing investment.

@BigRedMax

I've been a community manager for 2 different communities on the internet since 2007 with 10's of thousands of members in each...hundreds of thousands in one of them.  If I had made the changes you've done on those discussion forums, I'd have killed those communities.  You're killing this board with your changes and your lack of response, direction, communication, and understanding shows that you're willing to take a chance on killing it to attempt to turn a profit and that alienates the users here even further.

• Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Communities exist because people are willing to gather in a place (virtual or physical) and discuss things.  If you take the joy out of that with these annoyances, people will find a new place to gather and your investment on buying this website will be a losing investment.

This is exactly correct. Unlike HuskerMax, this site is 100% driven by content the Users provide.

If the users go, this site goes.

And all the changes @BigRedMax is making are driving people away.

• Thanks 1

@BlitzFirst I purchased this site from the previous owners and it will take an absolute minimum of two years for me to recoup my investment so I am in it for the long haul. The only way I will recoup that investment and keep this site going is from a revenue stream. I do agree that advertising revenue is an ever changing medium and it will always be around in some form or fashion. The previous owners ran the site at a loss for many years and have now received a return on their investment that they deserve by selling the site. 

@knapplc It is not my intention to drive people away. It is my intention to find the happy medium of keeping the site going without a subscription model and the only way to do that is from advertising. It is unfortunate that with the upgrade the programmer I hired twice placed code that put the ads on top of the content. Not a good start and I will see to it that it doesn't happen a third time. 

• Plus1 1

Thanks for the reply.

There are other ways to recoup investment without the annoying ads.  Also, your ad provider...whoever they are... should have a way to block certain content based on a list of topics that shouldn't be displayed in ads.

example:

For my blog which was about Linux...I blocked all Microsoft based ads as a topic.  It would be silly of me to have a linux based blog with Microsoft products being advertised and would be a conflict of interest.  Keep in mind, I'm not talking about a personal blog but a professional one which had over 300k monthly views for quite some time.  I used to be #1 on Google Search before they changed their algorithm and before I stopped actively blogging.

I also recommend a possible subscription service...but instead of making it a lump sum like Huskermax...it might be beneficial to make it be something like 1-2 dollars per month with a cancel membership anytime...something like how they do with Patreon.

This allows people more flexibility and more control with their membership...when the community feels in control they are a happy community.

Something else I'd do immediately is to increase the page length...roll back that change that made all the pages shorter.  It's the #1 complaint from everyone.  More page impressions isn't improving your CTR.

I'd also get hire someone to work on the mobile skin for this website and I'd see if they know of an extension for managing the ads instead of custom programming...that way, compliant skins/themes you put in place for both mobile and standard browsing will automagically have tasteful ads in place that don't cover entire swaths of the forum.

8 hours ago, BigRedMax said:

It is not my intention to drive people away. It is my intention to find the happy medium of keeping the site going without a subscription model and the only way to do that is from advertising. It is unfortunate that with the upgrade the programmer I hired twice placed code that put the ads on top of the content. Not a good start and I will see to it that it doesn't happen a third time. 

I can 100% sympathize with this. I get that you invested bigly in this site, and you deserve to recoup that investment. Nobody wants you to lose on this venture. I think we all get that, first and foremost, you're a Husker fan. Like all of us. But... something about all of this is different.

I've been utilizing HuskerMax for a decade at least, maybe longer. The ads there have never been like the ones on this site since the ownership changed. Clearly there's something different.

Maybe use the same adserver you use on HM. Maybe specify to this adservice very directly what you want. All I can say is, if the changes to this site don't cease, it'll die.  And HM won't benefit from that.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I've been utilizing HuskerMax for a decade at least, maybe longer. The ads there have never been like the ones on this site since the ownership changed. Clearly there's something different.

I don't know about that.  HM used to crash my browser and was unusable for a time due to the amount/type of ads.

13 hours ago, knapplc said:

If you are referring to the ads that covered up the content that was due to coding errors by the programmer I hired and has been reversed. There are fewer ads here than on HuskerMax and that is by design. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:25 PM, BigRedMax said:

@BlitzFirst I purchased this site from the previous owners and it will take an absolute minimum of two years for me to recoup my investment so I am in it for the long haul.

I'd say be prepared for it to be much longer than that. 

It is not my intention to drive people away. It is my intention to find the happy medium of keeping the site going without a subscription model 

It's not Scott Frost's intention to have two losing seasons in a row here. I imagine it's his intention to compete for championships. Thus far you and Frost have had similarly discouraging results :lol:

and the only way to do that is from advertising.

Yeah, sorry, that's just not true. At all. I'd forgive you for actually believing that, because you seem to be an older guard traditional business man, but 2019 has plenty of other really good options if you'd like to learn a new trick.

There is one version of a freemium model where you pay for a 'sub' which allows ad free, which you allegedly say is going to exist, but idk at least from my position seems like you should've gotten that in place as an option before you pissed off hundreds of users hiring a junk programmer to cover the site in junk ads.

There's another freemium model where the community is free but is propped up by some specific paywall content, or merch, or access to events, etc.

There's models where you repurpose content for profit. I would be pumped to buy a 'best of huskerboard 2019' book print for $10.

There's microtransaction/cryptocurrency models being used where you pay fractions of a cent for every page load, for example.

There's a patronage model. 18 year old kids are making $50,000 a month by providing a compelling product, engaging with and respecting their audience, and giving them an option to monetarily support the creators/platforms/spaces they get value from. I personally contribute about $25/mo broken up between one to two dozen podcasts, youtube channels and online communities I get value out of. I work for a relatively obscure and not well known podcast that generates $12,000 monthly JUST from the online patronage community (we also have ads and sponsors and merch and paywall content.

Lots of different options. If you care to actually do the work and be involved. 

The thing is, you believe advertising is the only option because its easy and effortless, but most importantly because you don't see this community as anything other than an opportunity for you to make money. You don't respect and value what the community actually is. You just see it as an opportunity to gain a commodity. And everybody here knows it, and isn't buying it. People are making hilarious amounts of money on the internet these days, but usually they're doing it in a way where they actually treat their audience or community as people to be respected and invited into a meaningful relationship. It's abundantly obvious you don't care about actually belonging at Huskerboard, and that more than the intrusive ads is the actual underlying reason people are getting very fed up very fast. 

Not a good start and I will see to it that it doesn't happen a third time. 

I wanna bet money on this :lol:

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I would be pumped to buy a 'best of huskerboard 2019' book print for $10.

Just read all my posts and you'll have the same thing.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, knapplc said:

.......... driving people away.

Geez, only 4 members online in Husker Football topics.  Ghost town.  Used to be 6 months ago, whole bunch of online members.

You are right ....... driving people away.

• Plus1 1