Be prepared for 2 more yrs of this

5 hours ago, lo country said:

I think @DefenderAO might have been meaning that the staff has "tells" that have carried over from their UCF days and have not added any wrinkles in year 2 at NU....

It does seem that teams do exploit our execution better than we do theirs.  We might have some tells that we are unaware of.  Some of our opponents might also value film work a lot more than ours....

That’s it. The fact other teams watch 2016-17 film from UCF to prepare for 2019 NU is a tell. 

Coach Osborne was one of the greatest play callers, in his later years, college football has ever seen. His ability to prepare and adjust in-game was set apart. 

Scott should glean from these characteristics. I hope those two are talking fine details to this regard. How to adapt - play calling, recruiting...situational leadership. Team loading the box? Counters and triple O pass plays to keep em honest. Too slow? Recruit speed and keep your trench power advantage. 

Scott’s ability to adapt and learn will be key in NU recovering its brand. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

That’s it. The fact other teams watch 2016-17 film from UCF to prepare for 2019 NU is a tell. 

When a coaching staff is new, watching film of a previous coaching stop is far from unusual.

There was likely more than one UCF opponent who watched Oregon film.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, TheSker said:

When a coaching staff is new, watching film of a previous coaching stop is far from unusual.

This staff is no longer new.  Maybe someone can gift the entire staff highlight reels of 2019 B10 play so they can get a jump on developing a new routine.  

• Plus1 1

I really don't think looking at successful UCF film would harm anyone.  They see how it is supposed to work with athletes that know how to work the system.  I am sure, or feel relatively certain that our staff looked at things Brom did before his current job.  Seems normal to me.

I think Skers is spot on on this.

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

Maybe the first year makes a lot of sense. This is over halfway through year 2. But the personel and players are all different- with different levels of understanding the scheme. So our offense is not doing what you see in UCf film. But the defense is still doing the same play calls in the same situations as 2 years ago apparently 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, lo country said:

No worries.  I'm sure we will post more during the Wisky game.  Two weeks to figure something out and somehow get the W....Illinois beat them.

I think Wiscy underestimated Illinois,  got caught looking ahead to the OSU game. Plus they turned the rock over three times.  Wiscy overachieves, without the big talent edge other top teams have it really shows when they don't come to play. Unfortunately I don't see them screwing the pooch again this year. Wish we had the bye before Mary or Iowa.

52 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I think Wiscy underestimated Illinois,  got caught looking ahead to the OSU game. Plus they turned the rock over three times.  Wiscy overachieves, without the big talent edge other top teams have it really shows when they don't come to play. Unfortunately I don't see them screwing the pooch again this year. Wish we had the bye before Mary or Iowa.

I think Illinois is showing that they are pretty decent.  I think they lead the nation in points off turnovers, so them getting takeaways vs Wisconsin was pretty much what Illinois does.  They also gave the blueprint (Urban's words, not mine) of how to beat Wisconsin.  

With that said I fully expect Wisconsin to be a well oiled machine when they come to Lincoln.

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

Our schedule is so tough next year we don't really have a choice in winning big games if we want to win ANY games

ahhh....remember the days when the schedule didn't matter and we took on everyone, with an edge, and we were the feared team?  Yeah, it has been a LONG time ago for that to have taken place.  Now, we worry about how hard our schedule could be.  The Bob Father has to be rolling over in his grave.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Archy1221 said:

Martinez was awful this game and Frost was gonna let him ride it out no matter what.  Very disappointing and a pre-cursor for the next two years.  Martinez is a minimum of 2 seconds too late finding the correct receiver (if he ever even does find the open receiver) and very rarely hits him in stride.  We can’t win consistently with him, yet since he started last year, I’m afraid the coaches won’t make a change till graduation takes him out.

O-line sucks on most running plays, we have to lead the nation in offensive negative yardage plays.  

The Defensive line is god awful obviously, but they way they are awful is disappointing to see.  They never stay in their lanes so the o lineman just take them the way the D line tries to go and opens up huge running lanes for QB.  On running plays, our D-line constantly turns their shoulders instead of staying square and again, the oline at that point has leverage to push them out of the hole. 

Linebackers suck!  Enough said. 

D ends/OLB seem to not grasp the concept of containment 9 games into the season.  

Many if these things are coachE but either

the players are tuning out the coaches (not good) or the coaches have no idea how to get through to the players ( also not good). 

Bottom line, this team sucks, is getting worse, and I don’t see next year being too much better.  

It will be better.  Things have a way of improving after riding out the tough times.  Martinez' greatness will shine through, he has tremendous talent.  Once the players who aren't buying in realize they are stuck with these guys they will come around.

It wouldn't hurt if we could make the program a little less Green somehow IMO

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think Illinois is showing that they are pretty decent.  I think they lead the nation in points off turnovers, so them getting takeaways vs Wisconsin was pretty much what Illinois does.  They also gave the blueprint (Urban's words, not mine) of how to beat Wisconsin.  

With that said I fully expect Wisconsin to be a well oiled machine when they come to Lincoln.

I don't think people are giving Illinois enough credit.  We were lucky to play them when we did because they were still trying to find their way.  Even when they played us, they played with a lot of fire.  They were one of the hardest hitting teams I had seen for a while. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, teachercd said:

For all of Urb's faults, that dude knows football.  He appears to have a positive impression of Frost. Wish he or Frost would reach out to each other and get suggestions on what/how to improve in the B1G.