What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

Was there today.  Wasn't mad walking out of the stadium.  I think the transition is going to be a tougher one that many people want to believe.  

Certain things were still frustrating to see.  Poor angles defensively, all out whiffs still defensively.  Straight up missed tackles.  Martinez throwing the ball basically into the ground while his running back who is wide open can do absolutely nothing but watch it hit the turf in front of him.  Watching the defense get zero pressure on the quarterback all the while letting Purdue basically march right down the field to score the go ahead touchdown on the final drive. 

Frost is our guy without a doubt to me at least but the play calls offensively.  Some of them are just head scratching.  I feel with some different play calls Nebraska probably still walks out of there with the W even despite our lackluster d we had today.  I feel like a lot of the calls are not setting up this offense for success but in fact seem to do just the opposite.  I am not sure of the rationale behind some of the calls but regardless I left that stadium today just as big of a Husker fan as I have ever been.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned that Illinois is actually a much better team than us and I am sure they are in disbelief that they lost to this pathetic husker team. The way this team plays does not belong in any of the power 5 conferences. Let us see how many recruits decommitt after this game...if I were the father of a recruit, I would not want my kid going to a team that has no heart, no pride, and absolutely zero swagger. Somehow we have become what we have always hated...the only positive record we have is our sellout record and that is safe because thank God it is not up to this team but up to the fans who have remained loyal over two decades of the most s#!tty football ever.

Rahmir has appeared in 3 games, his last two he played a total of 3 plays no touches

Hickman appears on offense today, his second game,  targeted on some kind of ill fated screen attempt and then never seen again

NPG 3 games, special teams mostly 

Myles Farmer, see NPG

D Chase 3 games, 1 catch

J Green, one game

This isn’t something learned from this game for myself, but this staff really is not using the 4 game redshirt rule to it’s or any players advantage and best interest

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Was there today.  Wasn't mad walking out of the stadium.  I think the transition is going to be a tougher one that many people want to believe.  

Certain things were still frustrating to see.  Poor angles defensively, all out whiffs still defensively.  Straight up missed tackles.  Martinez throwing the ball basically into the ground while his running back who is wide open can do absolutely nothing but watch it hit the turf in front of him.  Watching the defense get zero pressure on the quarterback all the while letting Purdue basically march right down the field to score the go ahead touchdown at the end. 

Frost is our guy without a doubt to me at least but the play calls offensively.  Some of them are just head scratching.  I feel with some different play calls Nebraska probably still walks out of there with the W.  I feel like a lot of the calls are not setting up this offense for success but in fact seem to doing just the opposite.  I am not sure of the rationale behind some of the calls but regardless I left that stadium today just as big of a Husker fan as I have ever been.  

Agree.

some more bad observations:

1.  Daniels gives us the ball on the 2 with his shovel pass interception.  We can only get 3 points through bad play calling, predictable tendencies, weak offensive linemen and poor play.

2. Poor tackling.  I saw three tacklers surround the runner behind the LOS but come to stop waiting for the runner to commit.  One jukebox and our tacklers are late and get dragged for a 3 yard gain.  Generally, far too many yards after contact.  LBs missing tackles.

3.  QB passes up good running for bad passes.  Not so much today but backs who stop forward movement, pump their feet thinking the next move will be a great run.  They should makes their jukes at speed and get the yards possible.  

4. I perceive the OC has a tendencies to call the same plays where old UCF videos help the opponent call the right defense.   IMO, far too many throws to the sideline behind the LOS with the runner naked or having a small receiver for a blocker.  If you can’t play a North-South game with power off tackle, short and medium passes over the middle and QB runs.  I don’t Husker football will do well.

We simply will not change anything up during the course of the game (or at halftime). We run the same offensive plays over and over and over (if I never see another swing pass it will be too soon) on offense and we do nothing to pressure the QB when our front three can’t get there (which they don’t). 

And we never seem to bench a player who isn’t performing (all those adamant AM supporters who refused to entertain the idea of giving Vedral a series or two, looking at you). 

The stubbornness of this staff astounds me. All you fans saying it’s talent and players haven’t “bought” in?  Then bench their asses. You think it’s going to be any worse than that garbage we’re seeing out there now. 

Ultimately, it’s on the staff. If players aren’t performing, whose fault is that?

Either that they’re playing that poorly, or that they are even on the field. 

Frost seems to like running Wan'dale between the tackles. It's horrendously stupid, and a disservice to him. 

Considering the resources put into the program, only Tennessee compares to Nebraska in complete ineptitude, but they play in a much more difficult division.

The schedule is difficult for at least the next two years. Best case scenario is 1 bowl game in Frost's first 4 seasons. It's a total joke. There are no excuses for this. 

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

Rahmir has appeared in 3 games, his last two he played a total of 3 plays no touches

Hickman appears on offense today, his second game,  targeted on some kind of ill fated screen attempt and then never seen again

NPG 3 games, special teams mostly 

Myles Farmer, see NPG

D Chase 3 games, 1 catch

J Green, one game

This isn’t something learned from this game for myself, but this staff really is not using the 4 game redshirt rule to it’s or any players advantage and best interest

A great opportunity to see what the guys can do in real games against real competition and they let a guy get a play here and play there.....just pi$$ poor management IMHO.  Bowing an opportunity to get experience and develop guys....Especially with the whole culture and buy in BS...