What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But I was asking myself: how bad would it really be for Purdue to win? All my other sports instincts were rooting for the injured underdog with more heart and better coaching smarts. 

I was thinking it's going to be bad to lose this one and we've got to pull it out.  I also found myself admiring Purdue for their effort.  I think the scouting report is out on Nebraska and it's straight out of the movie "The Hustler"- stick with them, they're losers.  We can talk about offense, defense and coaching but it's not going to change the truth.  We lost because Purdue wanted the win more than us.  It's that simple.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I was thinking it's going to be bad to lose this one and we've got to pull it out.  I also found myself admiring Purdue for their effort.  I think the scouting report is out on Nebraska and it's straight out of the movie "The Hustler"- stick with them, they're losers.  We can talk about offense, defense and coaching but it's not going to change the truth.  We lost because Purdue wanted the win more than us.  It's that simple.

Yeah- this one doesn't hurt near as bad as I thought it would.  Hats off to them, love the effort and they deserved it.  

Watching UFC when he was there, they were crazy good, complex O like Oregon.  Attacked the edge with mismatches.  Playmakers on D.  It looked not very much like what we see out of same coaches at Lincoln.  Maybe they have "dumbed it down"... no faith in players?

Maybe substandard players make any scheme look stupid?

I remember flipping between Riley and UCF and thinking how much moee stupid the NU offense was.... Now Frost is here and it still looks stupid...what changed, what stayed the same?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Is it funny how no one says "I wish we hadn't fired Bo."  But I will, I'm glad Bo is no longer in Lincoln

Well thats one thing and I wont begrudge you that, but just in terms of putting a respectable team on the field, best we've had since 2003 so far...

Just now, dvdcrr said:

Well thats one thing and I wont begrudge you that, but just in terms of putting a respectable team on the field, best we've had since 2003

I guess that's just the way I roll.  I want the whole package- someone that's a good coach and respectable.  Plus, he was going to die on the sidelines. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Wrap up just a couple of those tackles and we win this one.  I just don't understand why it takes contact from four different players to bring down one RB or baby faced QB?  This would appear to me to be an easy fix.  

Purdue lost their only good rb before the season, haven't run on anyone all season, our crappy defense managed to bring their run game to life. 

• Plus1 1

have you ever thought about the word "disgruntled" In order to be disgruntled wouldn't someone first have to gruntled or engruntled?  And if that was the opposite of disgruntled it would be a good thing?  Like Barry was so gruntled at the post office, that he gave out homemade brownies and chatted up everyone he saw and didn't fart on a single package all day..

• Haha 2

Nebraska once again makes a toothless opponent look like world beaters. Our coaches call offensive plays which are counter to what every other college team uses to beat Purdue. Purdue gave up like 300+ yards per game in rushing. Husker coaches are too cute to do that and went pass happy. For once being a hard nosed QB, Frost is anything but that as a coach these days.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Yeah- this one doesn't hurt near as bad as I thought it would.  Hats off to them, love the effort and they deserved it.  

This loss hurts.  I consider a season successful if we're competitive in every game and give full effort.  This season is failing badly.  We have good enough talent and coaches to win most of our games.  We need to get past the effort losses.  It's not just during games.  Our execution on offense and defense is so sloppy it's obvious we're not putting the effort into practice to get things right.