What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

22 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

This same coaching staff so brilliantly gameplaned for Auburn in their bowl game before they came. How were they able to scout an SEC team so well, while working for two schools, when they seem genuinely surprised at every single B1G team they play. 

Good point...maybe the film staff or scouting staff structure is totally different?  Maybe Frost and co need to check this?

5 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Good point...maybe the film staff or scouting staff structure is totally different?  Maybe Frost and co need to check this?

Or maybe they had a roster full of kids champing at the bit to win, who actually prepared and performed their assignments with vigor.  

I find it hard to believe that when an ENTIRE coaching staff comes to a new school together after going 13-0, they magically forget how to coach.  They did beat a B1G school by 4 TDs that year also remember.

• Plus1 1

I suffered through the game today, it was cold and windy. One of the things I noticed is that this team is very flat there is no emotion, no excitement for big plays, no anger at stupid plays. They just kind of go through the motions. So I am working on this theory. Maybe part of the problem is that the team realizes they are flat, but there is no real leadership on the team. So players are trying to hard to lead by example. Like Martinez seems to always want the big play, the long bomb down the field, so he can amp the team up. People on defense are missing. Tackles and not wrapping up because they all seem to be going for the full speed knock out hit every time. I saw so many defenders doing this today and it’s what got me thinking. Not a full blown thesis yet, just looking for an explanation of the baffling product on the field 

11 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Watching UFC when he was there, they were crazy good, complex O like Oregon.  Attacked the edge with mismatches.  Playmakers on D.  It looked not very much like what we see out of same coaches at Lincoln.  Maybe they have "dumbed it down"... no faith in players?

Maybe substandard players make any scheme look stupid?

I remember flipping between Riley and UFC and thinking how much moee stupid the NU offense was.... Now Frost is here and it still looks stupid...what changed, what stayed the same?

UCF's D was more disruptive but if we're being real they weren't particularly good overall It was an alright D that complemented the #1 scoring O in the nation. UCF fans were actually glad to see Chin gone. On the P5 level G5 alright becomes substandard and all those turnovers UCF got are harder to come by. In terms of O they certainly had better line play but it shouldn't be underestimated just how damn important Milton was. IMO all our close losses are wins with Milton at qb. Before this season we thought AM would make the jump Milton did, instead we're remarking that Vedral would have won this game. Plus there are years of film now and we play against better-coached teams. Now teams are better at attacking what Frost and Chin do. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Rahmir has appeared in 3 games, his last two he played a total of 3 plays no touches

Hickman appears on offense today, his second game,  targeted on some kind of ill fated screen attempt and then never seen again

NPG 3 games, special teams mostly 

Myles Farmer, see NPG

D Chase 3 games, 1 catch

J Green, one game

This isn’t something learned from this game for myself, but this staff really is not using the 4 game redshirt rule to it’s or any players advantage and best interest

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Frost seems to like running Wan'dale between the tackles. It's horrendously stupid, and a disservice to him. 

Considering the resources put into the program, only Tennessee compares to Nebraska in complete ineptitude, but they play in a much more difficult division.

The schedule is difficult for at least the next two years. Best case scenario is 1 bowl game in Frost's first 4 seasons. It's a total joke. There are no excuses for this. 

I'm thinking the running backs coach may be the worst of the assistants. Decides Bell is better than Ozigbo...complete uncoordinated mess this year with not a single breakout game from any of the backs. Reading comments like these confirms it.

20 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Ironic post on a day where he probably had his worst tackling game

Agree.  I like JoJo but he had a poor game not wrapping but exposed throwing shoulder tackles that didn’t work.  He did a poor job setting the edge as one got brought back on a penalty I recall.  And then of course the dagger Purdue TD he sells out as they walk in for the winning TD where he should have held the edge.