What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

12 hours ago, huskered17 said:

I remember thinking, I wish Daniel's would have got the TD. Even with us sitting at the 2, I was worried we wouldn't get it. Seen that all to much. After the first play, i was thinking well, we are in fg range. 

Our 0-line is good enough to get 2 yrds. We have Miles who is built for those kind of runs. After the 2nd play I just laughed and waited for the fg try. I think Frost sometimes over thinks the offense, Miles hits the line three times if need be, or blocks for A M and he go's up the gut. Maybe scoring there takes the heart out of Purdue. Will never know. 

This is the last time we go 4-8,[ yes, I don't think we win another game, hope I'm wrong].

Frost will get it turned around, but he may have to make some hard choices, in the next couple of season's.

GBR!!!

I remember a UCF game where Frost ran it 4 times up the middle on short and goal.  If I had to guess, he doesn't have confidence in the O-line.

• Plus1 1

That we have a bunch of cry baby fans. They have blamed the coaches, every single one since Osborne.  We have a groomed Osborne guy, that wants to win far more than any of us.  He trusts his coaches and in fact has proven they are winners.  

Give it some time, of course it sucks, and just imagine how he feels.  Being questioned about everything he does.  Losing to teams he never imagined he would lose to.  Kids not playing like he thought they would.  He sees more, knows more, than anyone on this board.  Give it a rest.  Two years on this project is no where near enough time to fix it.  

It is a talent issue, like it has been for a long time.  A lot of the talent has left from past recruiting classes, that talent has to be replaced.  Talent is not just a star rating, it is heart, and I think that is what he recruits.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, skersfan said:

That we have a bunch of cry baby fans. They have blamed the coaches, every single one since Osborne.  We have a groomed Osborne guy, that wants to win far more than any of us.  He trusts his coaches and in fact has proven they are winners.  

Give it some time, of course it sucks, and just imagine how he feels.  Being questioned about everything he does.  Losing to teams he never imagined he would lose to.  Kids not playing like he thought they would.  He sees more, knows more, than anyone on this board.  Give it a rest.  Two years on this project is no where near enough time to fix it.  

It is a talent issue, like it has been for a long time.  A lot of the talent has left from past recruiting classes, that talent has to be replaced.  Talent is not just a star rating, it is heart, and I think that is what he recruits.

1.  Winners?  When this season is over, they will have one winning season in four.  That's not my definition of a winner.  

2.  He knows more than anyone on the board?  He's not as bright as you may think.  I had to listen to some Ducks' fans give me a bad time tonight.  They talked about Frost saying he didn't want the Oregon job because top recruits wouldn't go to Eugene.  He was dead wrong there.  Their recruiting is light years ahead of ours and the Ducks program, after a few bad years by their standards, is back to being really, really good.  They're playing well with young, highly recruited kids and a coach who cut his teeth with Saban.  

They also reminded me that Helfrich was fired because neither he nor Frost could recruit or develop a QB.  That's why they went the transfer route for QB's, but that didn't work out and Helfrich was fired.  I'm not counting Mariota because he was recruited by Helfrich and coached by Chip.  And before somebody chimes in that he brought in Herbert, Herbert wasn't recruited by anybody else and walked onto his favorite college team as he and his family have lived in Eugene for generations.  Oh, and guess who didn't go after Tua Tagovailoa even though he said he would sign with Oregon when offered.  Yep, same duo of Helfrich and Frost.

3.  It is a talent issue.  I agree and have said so for years now.  However, Frost chased away a bunch of those kids you mentioned in your third paragraph.  Riley had a scheme that was completely different than Bo's, but he was able to use Bo's kids because he tried to play to the kids' strengths while using some of his system.  He didn't have a mass exodus because some kids didn't fit his scheme.  Guys say Riley's kids are lazy and soured on work.  At least Riley didn't have a pow wow with the kids after getting fired and told them to not try for the new coaches.  Riley had to deal with that via Bo.

I, too, was happy when Frost got hired.  That happiness has since been dented.  This program is going backwards and the blind faith off Frost is puzzling.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's from Nebraska.  I read guys who say fans have to be patient and we can't fire any coaches because that approach hasn't worked for 20 years.  These same guys didn't say that stuff when Riley was at the helm.  Again, it's the Nebraska thing.  Sit down, think about the direction of the program, pretend Scott Frost is from Waco, Texas and then tell me you still have faith and why.  My faith has been dashed these past three games.  "I'm hoping the Big 10 is going to have to modify their system to us."  Check and mate.    

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I learned that I am jealous of non-traditional schools like Memphis, SMU (8-1), Baylor (what's with that - they were scum a few years ago because of the whole Briles thing - now look at them), Wake Forest (basketball school), Minn ( they have greater disadvantages than NU- look at their year), Cinci (basketball school), Utah, App State, Iowa State, KSU and yes even Kansas - based on their recent past they are already looking much improved under the Mad Hatter, Les Miles (should have beaten Texas). 

How a school with all of the resources like NU fall this far, this long is only a product of gross negligence.  If this was a business (and it is),  the CEO, CFO would be outed and law suits would be piling up.  Yes we got rid of the former AD and his lackey of a coach.  But where was the oversight from the board of regents?  MIA.  

I also learned that I'm thankful for Rutgers - there is someone below us in the conference as we have fallen from mid-tier to bottom tier.

I also learned, that character is built by patient enduring.  (Romans 5:1-8).  God is wanting to build a lot of character into me!!

I will  patiently endure the current crisis of faith, and trust that morning will soon follow this present darkness.   

:rant

Really only 1 thing pissed me off in this game - I hope I'm wrong, but I think they played Rahmir for one freaking play. I get wanting to use him in games where we have a comfortable lead and they can live with more mistakes, but if that's the case don't play him until we have a lead.

There was a lot of disappointing stuff, it's amazing how much we can shoot ourselves in the foot and still almost pull it out.

Martinez was off - they mentioned a lot of guys being sick (only Taylor-Britt sick enough to not play though), wonder if the QBs were in that boat. I'm sure some people are saying that's how Martinez has been all year, but this was different IMO. He really does need to work on his touch - he's got a little bit of the Cody Green style of throwing everything on a line, no arc. That just doesn't leave a large margin for error on deep balls like the one to Noa or screens.

Tackling was atrocious, and I think that's largely a talent thing. I love guys like Sullivan, but they are just at a big disadvantage there.

As I feared, our plan to deal with the TEs on the game winning drive was to have LBs man them up. We do not have the LBs to do that, that was frustrating.

On the bright side, Lamar balled out. Oline pass protected ok I guess? And for a chunk of the 3rd quarter, we got a little pass rush with our Dline. Darrion's INT was the best moment of the season so far for me. I'm still optimistic about the future, but this year has been brutal.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Really only 1 thing pissed me off in this game - I hope I'm wrong, but I think they played Rahmir for one freaking play. I get wanting to use him in games where we have a comfortable lead and they can live with more mistakes, but if that's the case don't play him until we have a lead.

There was a lot of disappointing stuff, it's amazing how much we can shoot ourselves in the foot and still almost pull it out.

Martinez was off - they mentioned a lot of guys being sick (only Taylor-Britt sick enough to not play though), wonder if the QBs were in that boat. I'm sure some people are saying that's how Martinez has been all year, but this was different IMO. He really does need to work on his touch - he's got a little bit of the Cody Green style of throwing everything on a line, no arc. That just doesn't leave a large margin for error on deep balls like the one to Noa or screens.

Tackling was atrocious, and I think that's largely a talent thing. I love guys like Sullivan, but they are just at a big disadvantage there.

As I feared, our plan to deal with the TEs on the game winning drive was to have LBs man them up. We do not have the LBs to do that, that was frustrating.

On the bright side, Lamar balled out. Oline pass protected ok I guess? And for a chunk of the 3rd quarter, we got a little pass rush with our Dline. Darrion's INT was the best moment of the season so far for me. I'm still optimistic about the future, but this year has been brutal.

I agree with you about Rahmir. 

As for everything else, I think so much of this are factors that make the other factor worse. Yes, our play calling isn't great, but if you don't have the players you can't call the plays. Right now we're seeing the same thing out of 2AM that we saw out of Tanner Lee that drove me nuts. Swing pass, ball at the feet of the receiver. When you can't run certain plays, you get predictable and can't break things for larger gains. 

This is happening on both sides of the ball where we have limited depth and arguably one good position group on the whole team (secondary). I don't think it's just a players issue, but the players impact the play calling in meaningful ways.  

4 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I agree with you about Rahmir. 

As for everything else, I think so much of this are factors that make the other factor worse. Yes, our play calling isn't great, but if you don't have the players you can't call the plays. Right now we're seeing the same thing out of 2AM that we saw out of Tanner Lee that drove me nuts. Swing pass, ball at the feet of the receiver. When you can't run certain plays, you get predictable and can't break things for larger gains. 

This is happening on both sides of the ball where we have limited depth and arguably one good position group on the whole team (secondary). I don't think it's just a players issue, but the players impact the play calling in meaningful ways.  

Right - there are a lot of factors and we can all pick the ones we think are the biggest, but they definitely feed into each other. As bad as it is right now, I trust Martinez to improve and the coaches to bring in the players they need to make it work. I thought we had enough of them to do that this year, but I also thought Morgan was going to be a 2nd round draft pick so what do I know.

The Good: 2 Punt Blocks! Daniels' INT was nice, same with Lamar's. Jurgens looked like a beast on some plays. Get this boy in the weight room and development - maybe he could approach Remington's level of play.

The Bad: Most of the rest of the game. The fact that we can't double their 3 front and get some push is PATHETIC. They're moving up too soon - have to create some room before you ace up, fellas! Austin can see this, right? Right?

The Ugly: Most of the rest of the game. Shovel pass on the goal line? I love you, Scott, but come ON. 3 ISO's/QB Powers and a sneak if necessary gets us 6 instead of 3. They don't call aiding the runner anymore, so you get our 6'3" 200+ lb QB under center and have two running backs push him across the goal line. EVERYONE does this. Except us. 

Chinander is a mystery to me. I'll give him a little credit - we went up 10 nothing, and his plan stymied them for the 1st Quarter or more. Good. But guess what, the other team isn't going to keep trying the crap that hasn't worked. They will adjust. They did adjust, and we didn't. They KILLED us with those Mesh routes, and Chin had no answer - in fact, he kept doing the last thing a defense should do against mesh - man coverage. Chasing those guys across the field with our slower defenders and picking each other off is a recipe for disaster, losing to a 2-6, injury-depleted team. The fact that we let a walk-on 3rd string QB lead this injury-depleted team without their best player march 82 yards down the field and score easily on a trick play is depressingly pathetic. Throw the house at this kid, Chin! Playing it safe obviously doesn't work with these guys. God, what a nightmare.

Haven't posted in this thread yet.

The minute we lost Washington our offensive situation got pretty bad. In my opinion our team is better when Wan'Dale is a receiver. Washington would have matched up so well against Purdue.

I give Frost a ton of credit for bringing in offensive weapons and getting them to a high level, even in their true freshman season. Amidst all of the disappointment of how bad we've sucked in year 2 it's important to keep that in mind. 

We just have a bad situation at running back right now, though. 

• Plus1 1