What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

34 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I know I don't like for the team to lose.

I know I don't like the football I see being played by the boys in Red and White.

I am still convinced Scott Frost is the coach for this team.  I am still convinced he is a few years out and lots of painful lessons away from being a great coach.

I don't know enough about coaching vs talent to say whether other coaches should be released.  I'm in favor of keeping the whole staff around one more year (based on my admitted lack of knowledge).  But I also know I'd not be surprised to see one or two be gone.  I do know we've seen a lot of coaching changes the last 15 years, and it doesn't ever seem to have caused a better level of football.

I do know the difference between all out effort and lack of effort, and I've seen both on the field this year.  I know one is acceptable.

I know I will still be a loud, proud Husker fan till my red blood stops flowing, but I also know I'll be listening on the radio while I do hobby type stuff for the rest of the games this year, and not watching on TV.

I know many won't agree with me, but I know it doesn't matter.

while I have not coached football (at any level) I have done some coaching experience (15 years) in other sports.  Great coaches can only do so much, you can dream up strategy (scheme) and practice it until everyone is too tired to walk off the field.  but in the end, the players do have to execute that strategy.  no coach teaches a QB how to miss-read a defense or miss wide open receivers.  Nor does a coach teach a defensive player how not to fill the assigned A gape..  The players know what they need to do, when the do it as trained they look great.  They get out of position and all hell breaks loose (which we saw plenty of today).  If you need a scape goat then choose your poison, there are many choices there. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, beastieboat said:

Purdue marches down the field 80+ yard drives twice to end the first half. Where are the black shirts? It sucks that We are a mediocre big 10 team. I miss the good ole days of battling OU and Texas. Now we limp around the Big 10 west,

Mediocre?  We're about to finish 4-8 for the third year in a row.  Mediocre would be an upgrade.  

I heated up some days old pizza, and let it sit for a minute to think what I want to post. That was 35 minutes ago. I’m at a loss. I keep writing things and then deleting them.

Honestly, it feels like rooting for an intelligent, narcissistic alcoholic. They know they’re better than their addiction, and believe they’re smart enough to beat it on their own, but they tailspin into drinking every time something doesn’t go their way. It’s not just the team, it’s a portion of our fan base too. 

The coach is young & is one of our own. If you think there are better options out there for our program, you’re up in the night. It’s getting to the point where people won’t want to come here because of the fans and the unrealistic expected instant gratification. These coaches need time to grow themselves. A rebuild takes time. As fans, we’re only going to shoot ourselves in the foot if we don’t support this current team. The Husker fan base comprised generations of the Best Fans In College Football. That’s our tradition. Don’t let that die too. 

We show up and fill every seat at every home game. We travel well. We persist because we care about the tradition, and everything this program is supposed to stand for: A culture of Hardwork, Dedication, Determination, Fortitude and Community. 

As fans, if we’re going to expect players to value those pillars, we need to value them too. Don’t give up on this coach and his staff. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I learned:

defense is really pretty bad.  LB’s & DE’s are non existent. Just need talent across the board and, I’ll go on record: Chin at DC might need a replacement. Once Purdue figured out our scheme we really didn’t stop them the rest of the game. They only stopped themselves. (Been that way alllll year, look decent then crap, he flat out gets out coached. )

Offense was pretty good at times. 

If/when AM  ever consistently runs when things break down, we’ll be unstoppable on offense. He needs to see the 5-12 yds in front of him and just get them. 

O-line was pretty good today especially on passes. 

Special teams had 2 blocks and a couple decent returns. 

We haven’t played well in 4 Qtrs of all 3 phases of a football since I honestly can’t remember. And it’s sad. 

Learned I realized I am not even sure I want a bowl game this year. Just end this year ASAP. So  I guess after the loss that's the bright side, because there wont be a bowl game this year.

I learned my emotions of Nebraska football has tanked. Any other year or time I'd be standing up and heart racing on that final Purdue drive, instead I found myself reclined on my couch just figuring the Purdue TD with it's third string walk on QB was inevitable and was going to happen.

I learned immediately dial flipping after the game and happen to land on Ok State/TCU game, that Nebraska doesn't even look to have the athletes or players that Ok State/TCU have. Those dudes are big and look like athletes. I don't see any of that on Nebraska's roster. No physically intimidating players. The cupboard is more than bare at Nebraska.

• Thanks 2

What did we learn? Hats off to Purdue. No longer Pur-don’t. Pur-DID.

Purdue was the team with energy. They wanted it. At 2-6, they could have easily mailed it in today on what was called a “cold, dark, dank day”. Easy to give up. They didn’t. They showed passion and the greater desire to win. 

Nebraska was just beaten by a 2-6 team with their fourth string QB leading a late-game drive. Let that one sink in. When was the last time the Huskers lost a game just like that? Probably... never.

Halloween isn’t over yet. Strange goings on out there. Maybe more to come.

Once again, where is the energy on the field for Nebraska? These guys seem disconnected and just waiting to find out “how we’re going to lose this week”.

Even if Huskers should surprise Wisconsin or Iowa, nobody can call this season a success. It looks like all them own this. It’s not just the coaching staff or play calling or the players or the planets being in the wrong places. It’s ALL of that together.

I learned that

(1) this team is extremely inventive when it comes to finding new dumb ways to lose a football game even when the opposing team do everything they can to lose the game

(2) our OL finds new ways to suck

(3) The true Adrian Martinez was abducted by aliens and was replaced by a defective replica

(4) we can make adjustments to save our lives

(5) the team has zero confidence and do not believe they can beat a squirrel

(6) Frost is completely and utterly lost when it comes to fixing any of the issues that plague this team

(7) we are NOT OK...I wish we were an OK team. On the contrary, we are as Not OK as we can ever be

(8) this season is the most disappointing season ever and it is still not over

(9) this was our last chance to make a bowl game and we screwed it up

(10) Frost showed his inexperience when he kept our best weapon out there on the sideline when we had a last drive..no excuse for not taking a timeout and putting in your best chance to win.

every week I hope we can come out and play some football and we get nothing but disappointment. This team should walk back home to Lincoln with their coaches and think of how they are letting us down week in week out.

1.  Apparently Rahmir is not to be trusted running the ball.  I'm baffled by his lack of use.  

2.  Our ILBs still fail to hit their gaps, get off blocks, tackle in space, cover a slow tight end, wrap up a tackle without being drug 5 yds down the field,.................SMH.

3.  Our TE's continue to not be a factor on offense.

4.  Only half the secondary can tackle and that might be overstating it.

5.  We are possibly the worst blitzing team I've ever seen.  We run right into a lineman and stick to him like flypaper.

6.  AM should have taken a redshirt year

7.  We don't capitalize on other teams mistakes.

8.  Scott's our guy but this is going to be a longer process that everyone thought and he may have to end up changing some coaches before it's all back on track.

• Plus1 2