What Did We Learn - Purdue

Mavric

That Frost needs to make changes, that most all of our talent is young, and that we will find new and exciting ways to lose games. That the Eichorst/Riley sh*tshow is still having ramifications now, and that we need to have faith in Frost to fix it. I know he can. I don’t think there’s a better person for the job. 

What should’ve been evident when we couldn’t outclass south Alabama or Colorado should be evident now. This team is not talented and even worse does not play with the intensity necessary to overcome the talent deficiency. Maybe with some game changing talents the offensive and defensive game plan will look a little better but game management has been just as awful. Winning cures a lot but losing shows all the ugly stuff swept under the rug and this fan base is entirely too emotional and short sighted.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I learned that:  

- Our team plays to the lowest common denominator; worst team in college football?  No problem, we'll play to your level, let you stay in the game and win at the end with your third string walk-on QB.  

- No matter how much the players and coaches say we don't have a culture problem and that this week was another great week of practice, when this team takes the field, they look like a Pee Wee league team playing.  

- That I would take the coaching staff and all of the players from the Wyoming program in a heartbeat over the crap I witnessed yesterday.  Wyoming would have killed Purdue.  

- Outside of a handful of players, I would start all of the freshmen that haven't played yet this year in the remaining games, at least get them some experience, even if it is a$$ whoopings at the hands of Wisconsin and Iowa.  We aren't getting those extra practices again this season.  

- That I am sick of analyzing this team's losses.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

I remember thinking, I wish Daniel's would have got the TD. Even with us sitting at the 2, I was worried we wouldn't get it. Seen that all to much. After the first play, i was thinking well, we are in fg range. 

Our 0-line is good enough to get 2 yrds. We have Miles who is built for those kind of runs. After the 2nd play I just laughed and waited for the fg try. I think Frost sometimes over thinks the offense, Miles hits the line three times if need be, or blocks for A M and he go's up the gut. Maybe scoring there takes the heart out of Purdue. Will never know. 

This is the last time we go 4-8,[ yes, I don't think we win another game, hope I'm wrong].

Frost will get it turned around, but he may have to make some hard choices, in the next couple of season's.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Watching UFC when he was there, they were crazy good, complex O like Oregon.  Attacked the edge with mismatches.  Playmakers on D.  It looked not very much like what we see out of same coaches at Lincoln.  Maybe they have "dumbed it down"... no faith in players?

Maybe substandard players make any scheme look stupid?

I remember flipping between Riley and UCF and thinking how much moee stupid the NU offense was.... Now Frost is here and it still looks stupid...what changed, what stayed the same?

Please tell me the same thing about Chinander’s defense. They attacked. Complex. This D can’t cover anyone coming out of the backfield. Rb or Wr. 

- Someone mentioned it in the gameday thread, but it felt like a bad omen when Daniels didn’t score the TD. It seemed like there was no way we could mess that up, but I still had that sinking feeling like we just might. Compare that to last week’s big fumble return for Indiana. Granted, the guy ran out of gas, and had a blocker that didn’t do a damn thing, but Vedral hustled down the field and stopped the TD. Disastrous but maybe the defense can save the day by holding them to a... nope easy TD on the first play.

- It’s hard to tell if it’s more a fault of scheme, positional coaching, talent or some mix of the 3, but our LBs are not good. I love Ruud, but looking back, he got promoted to a P5 coaching position with a pretty light résumé. Probably should have at least had G5 positional coaching experience before making that jump. He will get it right, but definitely learning on the job so far.

- This feels almost identical to Riley where every now and then (with wildly fluctuating occurrence) things look SO damn good that you can really see the vision the coaches have for the team. Sometimes the offense clicks so beautifully that you would think we have a top 10 offense at work. Same with the defense. There are times where our DEs look incredibly athletic and there are times where they are on skates. Just really frustrating that we can’t or won’t compete for an entire game, every game.

- Maryland isn’t very good but neither was Purdue. Very troubling that we may lose out after starting 4-2. Hoping for at least one coaching upgrade this offseason.