Chinander Defence: 103 lost points in last 3 games

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Pelini got credit for suh taking off under his watch 

Yeah, he rightfully got credit for that, because he took an underperforming player and team and elevated their potential a long ways. If you do that, you should get credit.

If you are unable to do that, you don't think that's a legitimate criticism of your coaching abilities? It doesn't seem consistent to give credit where it's due, but then absolve blame where it's due. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, he rightfully got credit for that, because he took an underperforming player and team and elevated their potential a long ways. If you do that, you should get credit.

If you are unable to do that, you don't think that's a legitimate criticism of your coaching abilities? It doesn't seem consistent to give credit where it's due, but then absolve blame where it's due. 

I agree. I think our staff has underperformed and were great G5 coaches and getting schooled by experienced P5 staffs 

i do think we have some major talent issues but if they are great coaches like many believe they should be able to at least muster bowl eligibility. 

They didn’t inherit any Suh talent 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

They didn’t inherit any Suh talent 

Is that actually true, or is it only true because they haven't been capable enough to develop the potential of any untapped players? 

Like if Bo wouldn't have been able to develop Suh and co, we would have said, "Well Bo didn't inherit any talent." but it wouldn't have been true.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Is that actually true, or is it only true because they haven't been capable enough to develop the potential of any untapped players? 

Like if Bo wouldn't have been able to develop Suh and co, we would have said, "Well Bo didn't inherit any talent." but it wouldn't have been true.

I don’t think frost inherited any .98 kids? That’s what suh was 

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but the only credit I gave Frost for that was weathering the storm of inexplicable underperformance and getting the team to the level they should have been performing at all along. 

There was zero legitimate or justifiable reason that team should have been 0-6. I'm not putting the blame on Frost, more just saying that it was a weird inexplicable fluke sort of thing that made no sense. The worst we should have been halfway through last season was 3-3.

By actual quality/ability/potential last year's team was closer to a 7-5 type of squad. Urban Meyer correctly said something along the lines of us being the scariest two win team he'd ever played. This year's team doesn't actually seem like it's underperforming the way last year's did; this year's team just seems completely maxed out at being a sucky team. If we went 7-5 last year and then had this season, it would feel even worse right now. Frost did himself a favor starting out 0-6 because it gave the fanbase a narrative that it wasn't his fault.

I think that Frost does have culpability in last season and this season's losses.  It appears to not be the PC thing to say......

Some of his time management last year and this.  The complete lack of really using the 4 game RS Fresh rule.  IMHO, we are much better team than the record shows (at least on paper).  I think it is lack of depth, player development, coaching (from the top down) etc....Everyone basks in the wins is also all responsible for the losses.  Everyone..

This season has been an implosion.  I didn't see it coming at all.  I had us 7-5/8-4 at worst/best....Never staring another 4-8 season in the face.  Trying to find a reason, people (myself included) look to the loss of Stan, Oz, Foster and Farmer being part of the reason.  Those were Riley guys....IIRC you had mentioned player development. I had mentioned Bo developing SUH, you can also throw in others.  As it relates to Frost you can look at Shaqueem at UCF, maybe Lamar and Oz here.... That's the concerning part, have we seen a lot of improvement not just from year 1-2, but just in this season alone?  I am of the opinion, that we have regressed across all areas. IMHO there is a lot of blame to go around.  I would think that what Frost says in public is different behind closed doors.  I know he appears very prideful, but even he has got to see that what worked at UCF might not work here.  That might mean parts of the process, scheme, recruitment, athletic types, staff etc.....Just hoping we can somehow scrape together 2 wins and get to a bowl.....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I think that Frost does have culpability in last season and this season's losses.  It appears to not be the PC thing to say......

Some of his time management last year and this.  The complete lack of really using the 4 game RS Fresh rule.  IMHO, we are much better team than the record shows (at least on paper).  I think it is lack of depth, player development, coaching (from the top down) etc....Everyone basks in the wins is also all responsible for the losses.  Everyone..

This season has been an implosion.  I didn't see it coming at all.  I had us 7-5/8-4 at worst/best....Never staring another 4-8 season in the face.  Trying to find a reason, people (myself included) look to the loss of Stan, Oz, Foster and Farmer being part of the reason.  Those were Riley guys....IIRC you had mentioned player development. I had mentioned Bo developing SUH, you can also throw in others.  As it relates to Frost you can look at Shaqueem at UCF, maybe Lamar and Oz here.... That's the concerning part, have we seen a lot of improvement not just from year 1-2, but just in this season alone?  I am of the opinion, that we have regressed across all areas. IMHO there is a lot of blame to go around.  I would think that what Frost says in public is different behind closed doors.  I know he appears very prideful, but even he has got to see that what worked at UCF might not work here.  That might mean parts of the process, scheme, recruitment, athletic types, staff etc.....Just hoping we can somehow scrape together 2 wins and get to a bowl.....

"This season has been an implosion.  I didn't see it coming at all."   Those of us who worried about that and expressed that worry were seen as some sort of non-Real Husker fans.   I am no NO expert on any football, and not on Husker football.  But I have gotten aware of a culture change here at Nebraska.  It's a true culture of finding a way to lose most games.  It's a flip-flop of what it should be which is of course finding a way to win most games.

The criticisms of Frost should start at him not seeing that and saying it and reacting to it successfully. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

"This season has been an implosion.  I didn't see it coming at all."   Those of us who worried about that and expressed that worry were seen as some sort of non-Real Husker fans.   I am no NO expert on any football, and not on Husker football.  But I have gotten aware of a culture change here at Nebraska.  It's a true culture of finding a way to lose most games.  It's a flip-flop of what it should be which is of course finding a way to win most games.

The criticisms of Frost should start at him not seeing that and saying it and reacting to it successfully. 

^This.  Just because I am critical on this staff or any other doesn't mean I or anyone else is a bad fan.  I am a die hard fan of my team.  I do  not follow them because of a coach.  Frost is just a huge plus.   I cheered as loud and passionately for TO losing bowl after bowl, as I did for Solich going 7-7 and then the dark years of Cally, Bo (really thought he'd turn it around), Riley (had to google who the hell he was) and finally Frost.    Frost has garnered loyalty/credibility  because of who he is and what he accomplished at NU.  A direct link to TO.....I was just hoping for more success and less regression.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

^This.  Just because I am critical on this staff or any other doesn't mean I or anyone else is a bad fan.  I am a die hard fan of my team.  I do  not follow them because of a coach.  Frost is just a huge plus.   I cheered as loud and passionately for TO losing bowl after bowl, as I did for Solich going 7-7 and then the dark years of Cally, Bo (really thought he'd turn it around), Riley (had to google who the hell he was) and finally Frost.    Frost has garnered loyalty/credibility  because of who he is and what he accomplished at NU.  A direct link to TO.....I was just hoping for more success and less regression.

I love to consider myself a student of the game (who doesnt, right?)

When I look at football games, I look at things away from the ball. 

How are the linemen run blocking?

Who is constantly getting overpowered in one on one matchups?

Who is getting open consistantly?

Is your QB making his reads consistantly?

How is the RPO game working? (this one irritates me)

Who isn't scared to come up and run fit?

I try to see the positives and negatives in every game, and then put a mental list together.  Are they still making bone-headed penalties?  No, that got cleaned up in last years pre Bethune-Cookman game.  I've seen a marked improvement there, yes.  Still some unfortunate penalties at bad times (See Wandale's called back TD in the first half last week), but they're making a lot less "stupid" penalties.

To be honest, I knew this team was having issues after the Colorado game.  Washington's run should have lifted them up, but once they got hit with that flea flicker, I was like, "Who pressed the self destruct button, darnit?!?"

You want to put games away, and that takes a killer instinct that Nebraska teams have lacked for YEARS now, at this point - on both sides of the ball.  When I see that come back, then I'll look at this team differently.

• Plus1 3

9 hours ago, lo country said:

I think that Frost does have culpability in last season and this season's losses.

Also - to this point - anybody that says that the head football coach of any team doesn't have ANY culpability in losses but then credits same head coach for wins, needs to be looked at with a grain of salt...

• Plus1 3