What if we beat Wisconsin?

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Thats what I would say to show support to my fellow assistants in public also, especially if I knew they were taking heat from the fan base and media. Doesnt mean he actually is happy about it. The offense also gave them every opportunity to win the game. Didnt we have 2 leads in the 4th and couldnt close the deal.

We are not going to just outscore other good teams. Oregon could never outscore other great teams. UCF never played any great teams to prove they could.

It is such a bad idea to say oh we will score 45 a game so we can allow 35. Until you play a team of equal talent and now you only score 20-25. Then what? 

4-8

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Thats what I would say to show support to my fellow assistants in public also, especially if I knew they were taking heat from the fan base and media. Doesnt mean he actually is happy about it. The offense also gave them every opportunity to win the game. Didnt we have 2 leads in the 4th and couldnt close the deal.

We are not going to just outscore other good teams. Oregon could never outscore other great teams. UCF never played any great teams to prove they could.

It is such a bad idea to say oh we will score 45 a game so we can allow 35. Until you play a team of equal talent and now you only score 20-25. Then what? 

Well then we shouldn't have hired this staff because that is the philosophy. You clearly don't understand what they are trying to do. When the defense makes a stop or gets a turnover to the opposing 3 WE HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE. If we don't this scheme doesn't work. You can whine about it all you want to but I promise you Frost puts that loss on the offense. Because at the end of the day this scheme is designed to win by being up 2 scores in the 4th so you don't even have to worry about the defense getting a stop. Thats the way our coaches have created this scheme.

2 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

except stop the last drive.

Ultimately they shouldn't have been put in that position. The defense obviously needs to get better and some day we will be good enough on D to get a stop on the final drive. But the offense had every opportunity to make it a sizeable lead early. Everyone including the coaches know we are limited on defense, why are we wanting them to make the play with the game on the line? I don't get the hate for the D when the offense has been so inconsistent and that is supposed to be our major strength as a team. Again we can argue about it forever but ultimately the staff prides itself on scoring big points quickly and running away with games in that fashion. If we are gonna have an offensive minded coach the offense needs to work well or games will be lost.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ultimately they shouldn't have been put in that position. The defense obviously needs to get better and some day we will be good enough on D to get a stop on the final drive. But the offense had every opportunity to make it a sizeable lead early. Everyone including the coaches know we are limited on defense, why are we wanting them to make the play with the game on the line? I don't get the hate for the D when the offense has been so inconsistent and that is supposed to be our major strength as a team. Again we can argue about it forever but ultimately the staff prides itself on scoring big points quickly and running away with games in that fashion. If we are gonna have an offensive minded coach the offense needs to work well or games will be lost.

Kinda sounds pie in the sky. We want to be up by 2 scores in the 4th so it doesnt matter how s#!tty our defense is. I have to believe every coach and team in the country wants to be up by 2 scores in the 4th- but thats not reality. Problem is there is 3 phases to a football team. TEAM. Not offense supported by 2 other units. A team. You win as a team and lose as a team. The offense had chances early and the defenses had chances late. They both failed. Maybe if we valued defense more we might have won a few extra games. If you had a good D and got a 3 and out. How is that not better than a team that on play 7 throws a pick or get a strip fumble?

Just imagine how many possessions our offense would have if you had a bunch of 3 and outs. Instead of other teams driving down the field scoring while you try to get turnovers?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, SFW said:

I will consider it a victory if we score on Wisconsin.  

I was going to say that maybe the question we should ask is "What if we don't score on Wisconsin?".  I know they've been blanking opponents so I looked at their games.  They shutout USF, Cent MI, Kent and Michigan State.  NW did score 15 on them 3 in first qtr and 12 in the 4th.  I can't remember how many of the 12 were after the game was out of hand.  Wisconsin is a much tougher team and will run over our squishy soft defense so no chance of a win.  Hopefully we can keep them under 50.  I think we can score on them but what a disaster if we don't.

If the Huskers beat Wisconsin it means...

1. That the big turnaround in attitude and establishing a winning culture is on. Or...

2. That Wisconsin is dis-spirited and did not bring their “A” game... Or,

3. That Husker Nation will feel better about things... until the next game.... Or,

4. That Coach Frost can get a few nights of better sleep... Or,

5. That the Cheese State’s Burrowing Mammals (a proud part of the Weasel family of critters) will gain a bit of respect for the Big Red... Or,

6. The weather will be used as an excuse for the losing team. Even if it’s beautiful out.....Or,

7. Fans in Wisconsin will give up their Dairy State Red Jerseys and start buying Husker Red jerseys...Or,

8. Husker fans sold on Frost will say I Told You So, and those who have doubts will say But It’s Just One Game... Or,

9. ALL of these things... Or,

10. It is just one game and won’t mean a (darn) thing much. But it will change the conversations around these parts for a day or two.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Kinda sounds pie in the sky. We want to be up by 2 scores in the 4th so it doesnt matter how s#!tty our defense is. I have to believe every coach and team in the country wants to be up by 2 scores in the 4th- but thats not reality. Problem is there is 3 phases to a football team. TEAM. Not offense supported by 2 other units. A team. You win as a team and lose as a team. The offense had chances early and the defenses had chances late. They both failed. Maybe if we valued defense more we might have won a few extra games. If you had a good D and got a 3 and out. How is that not better than a team that on play 7 throws a pick or get a strip fumble?

Just imagine how many possessions our offense would have if you had a bunch of 3 and outs. Instead of other teams driving down the field scoring while you try to get turnovers?

I'm not saying we don't want to get good at defense. All I'm really saying is in this scheme the defense has been good enough this year that we should have won more games. Good enough isn't good or where we want to be, but this is a process. We were very bad at defense 2 years ago and we are trying and succeeding at getting better. In the meantime we can still win games because of our scheme but the key is the offense must take advantage. If they took advantage of the multiple times they got the ball in Purdue territory we aren't having this conversation. I just don't get why people aren't talking about the failures on offense more because in my opinion that is what is causing us to lose more by a decent degree.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not saying we don't want to get good at defense. All I'm really saying is in this scheme the defense has been good enough this year that we should have won more games. Good enough isn't good or where we want to be, but this is a process. We were very bad at defense 2 years ago and we are trying and succeeding at getting better. In the meantime we can still win games because of our scheme but the key is the offense must take advantage. If they took advantage of the multiple times they got the ball in Purdue territory we aren't having this conversation. I just don't get why people aren't talking about the failures on offense more because in my opinion that is what is causing us to lose more by a decent degree.

Fair enough. I think for me, its probably just because Frost has proven he knows what he is doing on offense so I have faith he will get it going. Chinander has never really shown anything ever. His years as DC are all about the same 30 points or so. Sometimes the average goes down when they play really s#!tty teams- but when they play good teams its usually closer to 40 points allowed.

So to summarize I believe Frost can do again what he has already proven to do. Chinander I have little faith he will become something different than what he always has been. Leaky as s#!t on D.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Fair enough. I think for me, its probably just because Frost has proven he knows what he is doing on offense so I have faith he will get it going. Chinander has never really shown anything ever. His years as DC are all about the same 30 points or so. Sometimes the average goes down when they play really s#!tty teams- but when they play good teams its usually closer to 40 points allowed.

So to summarize I believe Frost can do again what he has already proven to do. Chinander I have little faith he will become something different than what he always has been. Leaky as s#!t on D.

And thats fair enough. Chinander has never fielded a great defense, only a defense that was good enough. Thus far he has proven to me he can do that but not much else.

That said, because he can do good enough I'm willing to give him a chance because if you are right about Frost good enough will get us a long way. It won't win us championships though and we need to be better than good enough on D. I think they know that and want to put a dominant D out on the field and will work hard to get there.

I believe in Frost and I think Frost believes in Chinander to be better than good enough. They are young but they all seem hungry to me. That quality is a bit rare and can take a coach who was average at one point and make him great down the road. I am willing to give Chinander a little time to prove if he can do that because imo he has had less to work with and has slowly improved things. We will see over the next few games, maybe the improvement is a mirage, but I think we are getting better under his coaching and if we can wait it out for the talent we have been bringing in to grow he might just surprise us with a good unit.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

These segments are fun to learn from. Urban Meyer explains how Illinois & tOSU used the size of Wisc's OL against them. Hopefully we can scheme something similar, but again, I'm not sure we have the speed or instinct at LB to do these same things...

Or the coaching 

• Plus1 2