What if we beat Wisconsin?

3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

That's my biggest concern going forward. I'm not sure who that pass rusher will be and so far chin hasn't been able to manufacture it by bringing extra pressure. 

I’m concerned as well.

3rd and Chinander doesn’t get what most DC understand if there are 5 blockers you bring six and so on.  You don’t bring it from 15 yards behind the line.  

You don’t fear getting beat deep or giving up big plays.  

30 point Chinander brings minimal pressure and drops 7 to 8 into zone coverage, that bends and breaks consistently.  

B10 OC’s love playing us...the opponents even talk about after games.  They all know it.....Chinander is easy pickings.

6 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If the offense can put it in the endzone consistently when the D gives them the ball in Purdue territory 9 out of the first 10 times including once at the 3 yard line maybe the tone around here is a little different. 

Also what are we dead last in? Not total defense. We are better than last year in every statistical category which was better than the year before in every statistical category. What more should he be doing exactly?

The bolded is 1000000% correct. The defense is pretty bad, but the offense has been the greater disappointment by far. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Offense has laid enough eggs this year.  Colorado game being an eye opener.  Minny game was a bad game, but the offense was moving the ball, but kept stalling out.  Not having a place kicker for a few games was a minus as well.  Purdue for me was squarely on the offense.  Should have been a blow out by halftime, and it wasn't.  

Wisky is beatable.  They have a very good defense, but Illinois beat them, and Ohio ST rolled them.  Wisky might lose another game or two.  If our fans can't get fired up for that game, in our house and provide some support, then I don't know a game that would matter more.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Offense has laid enough eggs this year.  Colorado game being an eye opener.  Minny game was a bad game, but the offense was moving the ball, but kept stalling out.  Not having a place kicker for a few games was a minus as well.  Purdue for me was squarely on the offense.  Should have been a blow out by halftime, and it wasn't.  

Wisky is beatable.  They have a very good defense, but Illinois beat them, and Ohio ST rolled them.  Wisky might lose another game or two.  If our fans can't get fired up for that game, in our house and provide some support, then I don't know a game that would matter more.

Even consider the Ohio State game. If the offense scores on the (second?) drive when they were moving the ball and then AM threw the pick, you never know what that would do to the momentum of the game. We probably still lose by 3-4 TDs but it wouldn't have been near as bad.

• Plus1 2

One question I have for the staff. So it appears they have been coaching a little scared all year. Scared of getting burned on defense. Scared of turnovers on offense so they havnt cut it loose. So the question I would have is- can we stop coaching scared and see what happens? 

Maybe if the defense cuts it loose and call defensive series more aggressive like they did at UCF and see what happens. 

Call the offensive plays like you did at UCF and see what happens. 

I mean we are 4-5 and look like dog s#!t. By playing it safe we are sucking even worse than if we played with a little edge. Maybe some lack of buy in is creeping in because the guys can tell the play calls are all safe and they dont feel trusted. Maybe they want to play free and loose but they dont buy in because they hear no fear of failure but they see fear in the coaching? 

Just a thought- I have no idea whats going on inside the program. But our offense couldnt get worse- so instead of trying to not turn the ball over cut Martinez loose and see what happens. Send some receivers down field and start getting them the ball. 

Defense- who knows. Just do something different. 

I don't think we really know if they're coaching scared, or afraid of failing. If they figure blitzing has say a 10% chance of success on a given 3rd down, is it really "fear of failure" making them call a safer defense instead? Or is it being smart?

Obviously I don't know the percentages, but there's a fine line between doing things out of fear and doing things because you believe they give you the best chance of success.  And I think we're more aggressive than people remember just based on the eye test, we blitz a fair amount and have attempted more shots recently.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think we really know if they're coaching scared, or afraid of failing. If they figure blitzing has say a 10% chance of success on a given 3rd down, is it really "fear of failure" making them call a safer defense instead? Or is it being smart?

Obviously I don't know the percentages, but there's a fine line between doing things out of fear and doing things because you believe they give you the best chance of success.  And I think we're more aggressive than people remember just based on the eye test, we blitz a fair amount and have attempted more shots recently.

If the safe bet was actually working I would say ok you got something there. But when 3rd and long is converted every time and 3rd string qb's have a 100% completion rate on the final drive of the game. You might want to reconsider your calls

34 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If the safe bet was actually working I would say ok you got something there. But when 3rd and long is converted every time and 3rd string qb's have a 100% completion rate on the final drive of the game. You might want to reconsider your calls

Yeah, I mean given the result they have to be rethinking calls. But there were a bunch of other issues that drive. That was easily offensive PI on the first completion, the TE extends his arms and shoves Honas back like 3 yards for separation. Still not convinced they got the first down on the sneak. If Barry doesn't completely whiff on a bad running back on 2nd and 6 they have another 3rd and 5 on their own side of the field to convert. The one blitz we ran that drive was a corner blitz, and it resulted in a completion to the receiver Clark came off of.

My biggest issue on the last drive isn't the lack of blitzing/aggression. It's that we always had Honas on the TE, which is just a mismatch. And even then, he actually had decent coverage on the long completion. But I don't know of a better alternative without Taylor-Britt - I don't have any more faith in Dismuke or Bootle covering him, and significantly less if it was Barry or Miller. Domann sure, but I don't think they wanted to go straight man because of our lack of pass rush.  So I guess you can argue we should've gone down swinging, but I truly believe it would've been easy completions to the TE either way. We are not a good blitzing team - which is more on the coaches as well IMO, but it's not playcalling necessarily.

I don't like that I was concerned with the TE going into the game and that's who beat us on the final drive, and to me that is indeed a knock on Chinander. But I am struggling to come up with a better option, and aside from one crossing route where he just ran away from Honas the coverage was pretty tight. So I assume they had thought of it and practiced it, and we can argue whether it was hubris, idiocy, or a lack of other options.

For reference, this was Friday: