What if we beat Wisconsin?

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It takes time coming from 116th. There are personel constraints right now, we don't have alot to work with. You don't go from bad to good, you have to get to average first.

I understand everything you're saying we just disagree on whether or not chin is the guy thats gonna do it. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fun fact, we are paying him less than we paid Diaco! And last year, we actually still payed Diaco more than Chins because we paid off his $875k salary for the year.

Gross

9 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah at this pace well have a top 25 defense by 2030. I get that he doesn't have a lot to work with but he has failed to do simple things like match up personnel when the other teams offense subs in different personnel. Congrats he's less bad than diaco. Give him a raise.

116th>>92nd +24

92nd>>68th +24 

Avg:+24 

At this rate 

68>>44 in 2020

44>>20 in 2021

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

116th>>92nd +24

92nd>>68th +24 

Avg:+24 

At this rate 

68>>44 in 2020

44>>20 in 2021

I would love to be wrong about chin if we have a top defense in a couple years I'll gladly apologize foe every negative thing i said about him. Also lets see where those rankings are after we play Wisconsin and iowa.

This thread has been a good read for me.  I like seeing the title now;  it's not as jokey as it seemed at first.  It now has a twinge of "stranger things have happened" to it.  Even a "we can do it if we put together a complete game" fantasy.   And the game is still well over a week away. 

Damn, sometimes being a Husker fan makes a person crazy.  Damn I'm going there with my wife and daughter after an hour or so in the Zoo Bar.  And damn I'm going to think about this thread title and damn I'm wanting that f#&%ing win.   Damn!  Do it, guys!  Give us something special this year.  Win this.. damn "impossible" game! 

Thanks for the thread.  Sorry.. .. carry on.... 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

I would love to be wrong about chin if we have a top defense in a couple years I'll gladly apologize foe every negative thing i said about him. Also lets see where those rankings are after we play Wisconsin and iowa.

What if the numbers stay pretty much the same? Is improving 48 spots in total defense over a 2 year period doing a bad job? 

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What if the numbers stay pretty much the same? Is improving 48 spots in total defense over a 2 year period doing a bad job? 

If at the end of the season the defense is around 60ish then sure he's done an ok job. But with 3 games left and a team that isn't exactly trending up i would be suprised.  I guess the thing that bothers me the most about chin is the there are little things he could do that would make those numbers even better. Like not staying in a base 3-4 when the other team has 4 wideouts on the field. For 800k a year i wish we didn't have an inexperienced coach that had to learn on the job.

Just now, LumberJackSker said:

If at the end of the season the defense is around 60ish then sure he's done an ok job. But with 3 games left and a team that isn't exactly trending up i would be suprised.  I guess the thing that bothers me the most about chin is the there are little things he could do that would make those numbers even better. Like not staying in a base 3-4 when the other team has 4 wideouts on the field. For 800k a year i wish we didn't have an inexperienced coach that had to learn on the job.

We will see. Wisconsin has a good offense but Maryland and Iowa aren't as good so I think we can finish close to where we are now. 

You say he could do little things to make it better but how do we know that qould really make things better? Especially Saturday, we were extremely limited at DB. He isn't perfect but I'd like to see what he can do with the guys they are bringing in because I think there is alot of talent there.

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We will see. Wisconsin has a good offense but Maryland and Iowa aren't as good so I think we can finish close to where we are now. 

You say he could do little things to make it better but how do we know that qould really make things better? Especially Saturday, we were extremely limited at DB. He isn't perfect but I'd like to see what he can do with the guys they are bringing in because I think there is alot of talent there.

Next year the defense will be young but it should "look" closer to i think what they want from body type and numbers. Hopefully we wont have to see as many linebackers covering receivers. 

• Plus1 1

Next year the defense will be young but it should "look" closer to i think what they want from body type and numbers. Hopefully we wont have to see as many linebackers covering receivers. 

A pass rush is Frost's #1 defensive priority for next season.  It will help solve some other issues.

Just now, LumberJackSker said:

I completely agree. We will have more to work with next year and we need to improve accordingly. I just think Chinander has gotten an unfair shake given he is getting us better. Its not static though next year we have to be better in every way. This isn't good enough and I think they all know that. But its a process and I can see it coming along.

That's my biggest concern going forward. I'm not sure who that pass rusher will be and so far chin hasn't been able to manufacture it by bringing extra pressure. 

Frost had said several times he doesn't want to have to manufacture it.

All 3 starters on the DL are gone next year.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost had said several times he doesn't want to have to manufacture it.

All 3 starters on the DL are gone next year.

True but they have to get someone at olb that is threat off the edge. Next years defensive ends will most likely be stille starting on one side with either thomas, Rogers or robinson on the other. Thats a lot of youth or guys that haven't proven to be pass rushers. At best the defense is probably a few years away from being able to pressure the qb with 4 assuming they recruit well.

3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

True but they have to get someone at olb that is threat off the edge. Next years defensive ends will most likely be stille starting on one side with either thomas, Rogers or robinson on the other. Thats a lot of youth or guys that haven't proven to be pass rushers. At best the defense is probably a few years away from being able to pressure the qb with 4 assuming they recruit well.

Maybe.

I'm less concerned about experience and want raw talent on the DL.

The Davis twins were experienced......