Mike Riley

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many times do we have to say those scenarios aren't created equally and Devany himself said Jennings got talent on the team. Learn your husker history please

So Devaney owned his team and didn't chuck former coaches and current players under the bus to excuse any sort of failure and instead won? Which is what you would expect a good coach to do. 

• Fire 1
Just now, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Again, you are making my point.  Perhaps you should re-read my post you quoted and responded to.  It says just what you said in fewer words. 

No I'm not. I read your post just fine. You are insinuating if Devaney can follow up Bill Jennings and win right away then so should Scott Frost and since he hasn't he is in over his head. If you want to look at things without any context at all i guess be my guest.

1 minute ago, dspanther05 said:

So Devaney owned his team and didn't chuck former coaches and current players under the bus to excuse any sort of failure and instead won? Which is what you would expect a good coach to do. 

Or the team he inherited actually had good players that wanted to win and the team Scott Frost inherited was not nearly the same on either of those levels. Yea, I'll go with that

1 minute ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Jennings/Frost suck with the same players Devaney/(A good coach now) could/would succeed with. 

Devaney wouldn't be doing any better with this mess

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Or the team he inherited actually had good players that wanted to win and the team Scott Frost inherited was not nearly the same on either of those levels. Yea, I'll go with that

Devaney wouldn't be doing any better with this mess

We can agree to disagree there. I just want to set the goal posts of when this is Frosts team and how long we get to keep blaming the previous regime? Is it year 5 when it's a full turnover? Looking at next years schedule we are going to need to get exponentially better to go .500 so I don't think its next year. So probably year 4 we might have a chance at a winning record. 

Just now, dspanther05 said:

We can agree to disagree there. I just want to set the goal posts of when this is Frosts team and how long we get to keep blaming the previous regime? Is it year 5 when it's a full turnover? Looking at next years schedule we are going to need to get exponentially better to go .500 so I don't think its next year. So probably year 4 we might have a chance at a winning record. 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

20191103_075224.jpg

Devaney inherited a much better situation.  You don't want to blame the previous regime thats fine but any way you slice it we are short on upperclassman talent and leadership and that will make it hard for any team to win. We need to be better next year but chances are we will be given how little we will be losing. People can critisize Frost and all but how about lets not make comparisons to things that shouldn't be compared.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

The 2021 schedule is tougher than 2020 in reality, even with more big games in Lincoln.  The schedule next year eases into a brutal November.  2021 has a rough September on the road. 

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Where'd ya go @Huckleberry Muhammad? Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative

lmao .. I'm having breakfast.

Anyway, what the hell are you on about now?   You may be staring at trees.  Back up, there's a forest!  The forest is:

Jennings/Frost suck at coaching Husker football.  Devaney/(a good coach) didn't/don't/won't.  Very simple.  Climb down from the tree, back up, look at the pretty forest.  :D

• Haha 1

Martinez failing to make the plays necessary to win isn’t a play calling issue- that’s a player issue. How many times was someone wide open and the throw wasn’t made or how many times did Martinez have room to run and he chose to throw an ill advised pass instead? I liken Martinez to the kid who stays up for 2 days to study for the final. He tries so hard to be ready, but when he gets there, he biffs it big time. 

Now on the defensive side of the ball, I saw drives where we did well. The frustrating thing for me is having a 3rd strong QB be able to lead their team on a game winning TD drive, and seeing us being destroyed by middle throws, continuing to play man coverage when we should have been in zone. That is a coaching problem. But you have to remember where these coaches came from... Memphis best SMU last night 56-48, so they are used to having a D that can give up points, but having an offense that can overcome that- we can’t.

The fact we weren’t in zone on that last defensive play is infuriating. The fact the staff didn’t tell him to take a knee and save time on he clock on the ensuing kickoff is infuriating. These are coaching errors that need fixed, as is not using that timeout on the 4th down. 

I don’t think this coaching staff is a lost cause, but I do think that because of a lack of talent and because we have players not making plays, they are probably stumped on how to get the results seen in practice on the field. There were times in the beginning of the Osborne era where people called for him to be canned, and aren’t we glad they didn’t listen?

It’s okay to be frustrated. It’s okay to be pissed. Losing games we should have won is never fun. But for those calling for Frost’s head... have some patience, and give it time. Eichorst and Riley damaged Husker football in serious and insidious ways, and removing that level of toxicity from our program takes time... so give it to him. 2 years is nowhere near enough time.

The bottom line is this: Scott Frost is as much an investment to this program as any of our players. He’s young and new to head coaching. He needs to learn. He needs to do better. There isn’t anyone out there who I would trust more for this job than Frost. He has more heart than any coach we could hire for this job, and he has a desire to bring Nebraska back. Maybe we should trust him to make the changes, get the players he wants in here, and let him. 

P.S.- There are positives to be taken from this game, too. Snaps were MUCH better. OL play was much better overall. And when is the last time Nebraska had 3 QBs who could all be starters? Progress is being made. Don’t let the loss give you Husker vision. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Anyway, it is possible for a great coaching crew (and Frost and his crew have been together for a while) to take a ragtag group of players and game by game work out ways to win most of those games.  It's been done by great coaches for decades on end.

Frost is proving he's not in that category of coaches.  Not even close.

What r u smoking.  You can not change a culture overnight.   The pac 10 is a soft conference and that's what NE was/is.  Comparing 70 yrs ago is asinine, everything different.  It's called tv, recruiting services & social media.