For Comparison....

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

If it works, everyone is talking about how great the playcall is. I agree I would've called it differently, but honestly we don't have the oline to punch it in if defenses are waiting for that. I know that's sad, but it is what it is. The announcers and everyone were freaking out about the genius of Purdue's reverse for a touchdown, that could've easily been snuffed out and they'd be talking about what a dumb call it was. So yeah, I would've called it differently and it's fair to criticize. But we've got to recognize no one would have a problem with it if it had been blocked how it was supposed to be.

Shovel pass...on the two?  The other team ran a shovel pass on the previous possession and Daniels almost got a Big Man TD.

Just now, alexhortdog95 said:

Shovel pass...on the two?  The other team ran a shovel pass on the previous possession and Daniels almost got a Big Man TD.

And we got 40 yards out of one against Northwestern. Theirs was an inside shovel, ours was basically an inverted option - which we ran inside the 10 against KSU to great success a couple times in '95, I believe. The point is it could've worked, and missing a block on it had essentially the same result as missing a block on a dive.

Again, not what I would've called. And it's entirely possible people still wouldn't like the playcall if it had worked - but I doubt it. I think Frost wishes we were at the point where we could trust our team to just pound it in, but we're not.

1 minute ago, broganreynik said:

Do all the buy-in folks not think it’s a coach’s duty to get his players bought in? There are obvious situations where it wouldn’t matter, but Lamar Jackson is a perfect example as someone who WAS bought-in* but they’ve lost him.

* or so the coaches and all the buy-in folks were saying

I've said enough about Jackson in the other thread, but picking one play of Jackson loafing when it looks like the tackle should be made is not an example of a player "no longer bought-in."

• Fire 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

And we got 40 yards out of one against Northwestern. Theirs was an inside shovel, ours was basically an inverted option - which we ran inside the 10 against KSU to great success a couple times in '95, I believe. The point is it could've worked, and missing a block on it had essentially the same result as missing a block on a dive.

Again, not what I would've called. And it's entirely possible people still wouldn't like the playcall if it had worked - but I doubt it. I think Frost wishes we were at the point where we could trust our team to just pound it in, but we're not.

I've said enough about Jackson in the other thread, but picking one play of Jackson loafing when it looks like the tackle should be made is not an example of a player "no longer bought-in."

I don't think that if Jackson wasn't bought-in that he'd be out there playing.  Remember, he was sat down last year for some time as well.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Do all the buy-in folks not think it’s a coach’s duty to get his players bought in? There are obvious situations where it wouldn’t matter, but Lamar Jackson is a perfect example as someone who WAS bought-in* but they’ve lost him.

Lamar Jackson, the guy who's currently fifth in the nation in passes defended, and who just made a pretty brilliant INT against Purdue?

I don't think we can realistically say he's not bought in.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Jackson is not a team player... He plays for himself and is one of the reasons he will get passed on in the NFL (among other reasons).  Next time any of you are in the stadium before the game and the team is doing their warm up where they are clapping, find the ONE person NOT clapping and you will find Lamar..

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

Jackson is not a team player... He plays for himself and is one of the reasons he will get passed on in the NFL (among other reasons).  Next time any of you are in the stadium before the game and the team is doing their warm up where they are clapping, find the ONE person NOT clapping and you will find Lamar..

You are going to see what you want to see.

30 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There have been plays all season where I've seen a defensive player standing straight up as the play blows by him. 

I swear to God there was a play on Saturday where Darrion Daniels had an open corner into the backfield,  and merely continued to play handsy with the offensive lineman. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

If it works, everyone is talking about how great the playcall is. I agree I would've called it differently, but honestly we don't have the oline to punch it in if defenses are waiting for that. I know that's sad, but it is what it is. The announcers and everyone were freaking out about the genius of Purdue's reverse for a touchdown, that could've easily been snuffed out and they'd be talking about what a dumb call it was. So yeah, I would've called it differently and it's fair to criticize. But we've got to recognize no one would have a problem with it if it had been blocked how it was supposed to be.

It's understandable that Frost would have reservations about the OL, when they struggle to get a push most of the time. I like the play call later in the game, when they used Mills as a lead blocker for the QB run. That helps you get a little more punch at the point of attack from other sources than the OL.

4 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

“I realized the coaches, it wasn’t out of spite, it was more for me and my future to benefit me,” Jackson said of being benched after the Purdue game.  But Jackson is a thinker. He’s an overthinker, he says. And he couldn’t decide what his next move was without knowing exactly why he’d been pulled. He needed answers.

So the Sunday after the Purdue loss, Jackson knocked on Scott Frost’s office door. He sat with the coach and defensive coordinator Erik Chinander.

“What’s the problem?” Jackson asked.  “We expect you to be a pro,” the coaches told Jackson. “Act like a pro.”

They told Jackson that this — getting benched, seeing this adversity — this is what you have to go through to get to where you want to go. They saw potential in him, but what he was doing wasn’t cutting it. The penalties, the attitude. He needed to be better. Chinander told personal stories about his life that Jackson could relate to. Frost told Jackson that he thought he could play among the best of the best.

“I realized the coaches, it wasn’t out of spite, it was more for me and my future to benefit me,” Jackson said.

After the meeting, Jackson and Frost hugged. They exchanged “I love yous.”

And after that meeting, Jackson changed. He completely bought in. He’d do whatever it took to earn his spot back.

“I had no problem going out there and working and improving and getting my spot back,” Jackson said. “They were on my side. So I had no problem with staying. I didn’t even think about leaving after that.”

It took two weeks, but Jackson is back as Nebraska’s starting corner, where he’s been for three years since stepping on campus.

Jackson did not play corner in high school. He was a phenom who played nearly every other position, including kick returner, safety and quarterback. So for years, as he’s learned the position, he’s been an easy target for fans frustrated with Nebraska’s struggling defenses.

Jackson’s very aware of the criticism. He reads the tweets about himself. He reads the message board comments. He listens to the radio.  “I don’t run from it,” Jackson said. “I read it all, I listen to what people gotta say.”  It hurts him. But he internalizes it and uses it as fuel. After his benching, Twitter was ablaze with takes on Jackson, and speculation swirled that he may hit the road like other California kids have this year.  But Jackson stayed. He wanted to prove everyone wrong.

Yeah, sounds like he's not bought in to me....sigh....

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

“I realized the coaches, it wasn’t out of spite, it was more for me and my future to benefit me,” Jackson said of being benched after the Purdue game.  But Jackson is a thinker. He’s an overthinker, he says. And he couldn’t decide what his next move was without knowing exactly why he’d been pulled. He needed answers.

So the Sunday after the Purdue loss, Jackson knocked on Scott Frost’s office door. He sat with the coach and defensive coordinator Erik Chinander.

“What’s the problem?” Jackson asked.  “We expect you to be a pro,” the coaches told Jackson. “Act like a pro.”

They told Jackson that this — getting benched, seeing this adversity — this is what you have to go through to get to where you want to go. They saw potential in him, but what he was doing wasn’t cutting it. The penalties, the attitude. He needed to be better. Chinander told personal stories about his life that Jackson could relate to. Frost told Jackson that he thought he could play among the best of the best.

“I realized the coaches, it wasn’t out of spite, it was more for me and my future to benefit me,” Jackson said.

After the meeting, Jackson and Frost hugged. They exchanged “I love yous.”

And after that meeting, Jackson changed. He completely bought in. He’d do whatever it took to earn his spot back.

“I had no problem going out there and working and improving and getting my spot back,” Jackson said. “They were on my side. So I had no problem with staying. I didn’t even think about leaving after that.”

It took two weeks, but Jackson is back as Nebraska’s starting corner, where he’s been for three years since stepping on campus.

Jackson did not play corner in high school. He was a phenom who played nearly every other position, including kick returner, safety and quarterback. So for years, as he’s learned the position, he’s been an easy target for fans frustrated with Nebraska’s struggling defenses.

Jackson’s very aware of the criticism. He reads the tweets about himself. He reads the message board comments. He listens to the radio.  “I don’t run from it,” Jackson said. “I read it all, I listen to what people gotta say.”  It hurts him. But he internalizes it and uses it as fuel. After his benching, Twitter was ablaze with takes on Jackson, and speculation swirled that he may hit the road like other California kids have this year.  But Jackson stayed. He wanted to prove everyone wrong.

Yeah, sounds like he's not bought in to me....sigh....

Ill rely on what I see over what someone said every day...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

So here's some stats on the defense pulled from Huskers.com

2018: 31.2 ppg, 195.8 rush yds pg, 5.0 yards per rush, 6.7 avg per pass, 12 avg per comp., 237.8  pass yds per game, 433.5 avg yds per game

2019: 29.11 ppg, 173.7 rush yds per game, 4.3 yards per rush, 7.04 avg per pass, 232.33 pass yds per game, 406 avg yards per game.

So for me it appears that statically we are better than last year. Also considering we have been worse on offense.

• Thanks 1