For Comparison....

2 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Because there have been two football coaches fired for on the field performance (Banker and Bohl), as far as I know.  Your commitment to win shows when you show me you don't practice nepotism (like the majority of the coaching ranks at the pro and college levels do).

How did that work out for us? 

No, YOU say I am saying that.  I know what I'm saying.

Like I said before:  I am in with the guy. 

But we've all heard "we're gonna fix it," and "it's on us," from now FOUR DIFFERENT COACHING STAFFS.

Bill Callahan:

“The bottom line is we need to make tackles. We need to make plays. That’s football and that’s life.  We have got to get better. We have to find a way to get better. It’s frustrating. We found ways to come back in this game and it still slipped away.  I’m taking it one game at a time. We will assess where we are after we watch game film. We are going to keep marching on. We make no excuses, none whatsoever. I take total accountability for what has happened.  We are going to keep working, keep pounding the rock. We are persistent and insistent on our philosophy we have tried to ingrain. We are going to keep pounding the rock."

Bo Pelini:
“Like I said all along, there's character in the room, we have to play smarter. We're not about moral victories. Nebraska never will be as long as I'm head coach. If we start being about moral victories, you need to get a new coach.  (This game) doesn't change what we have to do. We've got to go back to work. I told them one thing; this shows us is the potential we have as a football team. You can't get too high or too low, you've got to just go. This doesn't change what we've got to do tomorrow or the next game. We've got to keep progressing as a football team. You put in the hard work, you practice well, you learn the game plan, you do some things and execute.

Mike Riley:

"When I go to bed tonight, I'll be hoping for that, because I would love to do this. I truly believe I'm exactly the right person to do this. The football parts, I've been doing it so long, we know how to fix, and we also are doing a good job recruiting."

Scott Frost:

"We had a long talk just that we all need to get better: coaches, players, everybody needs to get better," Frost said. "You know, the thing that I know how to do as a coach to keep moving it forward is just work harder. Keep practicing harder, keep trying to get guys better. And I told them that I think the last two games are games that we easily could have won, and we didn't for a lot of reasons and  there's stuff we can all do better. And the guys are hurting right now."

Don't know about you, but after you've heard the same thing over and over and over for over 15 years now....you get kinda tired of it.

Don't give me coach speak.  Give me results.  If you're willing to do what it takes to win, show me.  Because there have been two football coaches fired for on the field performance (Banker and Bohl), as far as I know.  Your commitment to win shows when you show me you don't practice nepotism (like the majority of the coaching ranks at the pro and college levels do).

Coach speak doesn't go away, Saban talks about continuing to get better as much as anyone. Obviously the results need to come, but firing people isn't always what it takes to win.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Coach speak doesn't go away, Saban talks about continuing to get better as much as anyone. Obviously the results need to come, but firing people isn't always what it takes to win.

I'll expand on this too - people tired of hearing the same things, what do you want them to say? We're not good right now. No press conferences until we are? Talk about how we don't need to get better? They all say the same things because it's true - when you're bad you need to get better. In the end the results matter more than what's said, but we need more time for conclusive results.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Don't disagree, but Saban is willing to do what needs to be done.  He surrounds himself with talented coaches.  He isn't scared too fire (or give a friendly nudge - i'm looking at you, Lane - to)  a coach that doesn't pull their weight on the staff. 

Dabo fired his offensive coordinator and his running backs coach in 2011.  That was in his second year.  The guy has won at least 10 games each year since, and is always in the hunt.

In the mean time, Urban Meyer DIDN'T fire an assistant coach, and it basically ended his coaching career (along with his health issues as well) at Ohio State.

I want Frost to stick around because I like his aggressive playcalling style, really I do.  I was excited to know he was coming.  But I also want him to be successful and not get into his own way because of "loyalty" to a friend.  Like I said - business is business.  If I had to guess, I think he's wrestling with some very tough decisions for his team AND his staff.  What he does next will determine how he goes forward.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Yes because that was totally related to football performance. 

Again, you completely MISSED it.  Read it again.

Meyer held onto a guy for personal reasons.  Forcibly retired.

Joe Pa held onto a guy for personal reasons.  Fired.

Hell, do you think that Tim Beck is in Texas because he's that good of a coordinator?

The great coaches aren't scared to set aside personal relationships and feelings for the success that they are PAID for.

1 minute ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Hell, do you think that Tim Beck is in Texas because he's that good of a coordinator?

The great coaches aren't scared to set aside personal relationships and feelings for the success that they are PAID for.

So Urban Meyer isn't a great coach? Interesting

You keep assuming I miss your point. Maybe your point just sucks

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Are you implying some of our assistants are domestic abusers or pedophiles? That's why they needed to fire those guys, not because they were bad coaches. Those were completely different situations than needing to hire a btter coach.

Uh... Lane didn’t get fired, he became a HC. Saban has an alcoholic on his staff that didn’t get fired and just went to the NFL as an OC, who than got fired and he brought back as an analyst or OC again? 

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Are you implying some of our assistants are domestic abusers or pedophiles? That's why they needed to fire those guys, not because they were bad coaches.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

So Urban Meyer isn't a great coach? Interesting

You keep assuming I miss your point. Maybe your point just sucks

NO, OMG....

I'm saying that during adversity - when the head coach makes a PERSONAL decision to hold on to a guy because of how he FEELS for the guy - nothing good comes of it.  In Meyer's case, he held onto Smith because he was the grandson of Earle Bruce, his mentor.  In Joe Pa's case, he held onto Sandusky because of how he felt about the guy.  They made PERSONAL decisions and it cost them their jobs, and their programs were looked down upon.

Just now, alexhortdog95 said:

NO, OMG....

I'm saying that during adversity - when the head coach makes a PERSONAL decision to hold on to a guy because of how he FEELS for the guy - nothing good comes of it.  In Meyer's case, he held onto Smith because he was the grandson of Earle Bruce, his mentor.  In Joe Pa's case, he held onto Sandusky because of how he felt about the guy.  They made PERSONAL decisions and it cost them their jobs, and their programs were looked down upon.

Do you know for a fact Scott Frost is keeping Chinander for personal reasons, or does he think Chinander is the best fit for what he is trying to do with his football team?

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, CalhounHusker said:

Uh... Lane didn’t get fired, he became a HC. Saban has an alcoholic on his staff that didn’t get fired and just went to the NFL as an OC, who than got fired and he brought back as an analyst or OC again? 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nick-saban-wins-national-titles-he-loses-assistant-coaches-11566142167

Joey Freshwater was never going to survive Saban's wrath.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Do you know for a fact Scott Frost is keeping Chinander for personal reasons, or does he think Chinander is the best fit for what he is trying to do with his football team?

Seriously...guy was only the best man in his wedding and they've coached with each other since their Oregon days....I'd think it's pretty personal.

NO, OMG....

Those are still very different reasons to need to fire someone. You're assuming Frost won't fire them because of personal reasons, and I would say it's very likely that's not the case and he actually believes in their scheme and coaching abilities. He could be wrong, but that's more similar to something like Dantonio - his loyalty to his offensive staff could get him fired. Difference is they're not producing after 7 years, not 1 and a half into a rebuild.

• Fire 1