You Are The Head Coach

If the #1 QB is playing poorly I'd pull him for a series or two and put in #2, while the QB coach talks to #1 on the sideline.  Point out things he should be watching for in the defense.   If #2 has a hot hand I'd leave him in.  Otherwise, put #1 back in with a couple plays or new reads keyed to defensive weaknesses.  

(1) Vedral starts because he makes quick decisions, is a better passer, and runs when appropriate. 

(2) Inside the 5 yard line its power football.

(3) I start youth at LB these last four games.

(4) Lamar Jackson can start, but I allow younger guys to get playing time. If LJ won't tackle, he's on the bench.

(5) Nebraska shifts to the I-formation and starts running power football. You cannot be a power football team and not be tough. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If I could successful answer this question, I'd be making a lot more money than I do in my current job...

You don't even need to be successful once you're the HC. Just bank those checks and wait for the inevitable firing so you can retire and go fishing (or whatever hobby you want to pursue). :D  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Here’s a hypothetical situation. Disclaimer:  Resemblance to any current situation is purely coincidental.

You’re the Head Coach. You’ve got a first-string QB with great potential but for whatever reason he’s been off his game all season. You have a fan base that’s choosing between revolting and giving up and a team that’s desperate for a win.

You have a national media that either shows pity or shows delight in your misery.

You have a conference that has not yet learned to show you any respect.

You know that if you bench the QB for reasons other than injury, you could stall his development and damage his confidence. Maybe permanently. Maybe recruiting, too.

You further know that if you don’t get a win soon, you may lose the rest of your team. And, many more of your fans.

The Questions You Now Face:

Do you change QBs in hopes for a quick win? Or do you keep playing the first QB and keep hoping that he find’s his game and you get that win in the process?

Or do you decide the problem is really somewhere else?

How do you ignite the “on” switch on a team that lacks energy and cohesiveness after you’re tried?

And do you ever look in the mirror and wonder why you decided to leave a good job you had before?

You’ve diagnosed the wrong illness doctor. The offense stunk it up but still scored 27 points. 

Nobody with eyeballs thought we shouldn’t have gotten at least 14 more points.

The defense on the other hand couldn’t keep a team of grandmas under 30 points.

As far as your hypothetical QB dilemma, suppose your 2nd string QB played an entire game against a middle of the pack team and only scored one time in crap time... a pity TD?

I say go with the most capable player at every position and if any of your players appears to have suffered some kind of brain damage, be sure to get him in for an MRI or something.

If I were HC, my DC wouldn’t suck nuts. 
Id use a Maryland I in short yardage. I’d also use a diamond formation to mix things up. 

if Vedral was healthy, I would give him a shot after AM skips the easy passes. I’d also have a package for the freshman qb to get some playing time during the season. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Here’s a hypothetical situation. Disclaimer:  Resemblance to any current situation is purely coincidental.

You’re the Head Coach. You’ve got a first-string QB with great potential but for whatever reason he’s been off his game all season. You have a fan base that’s choosing between revolting and giving up and a team that’s desperate for a win.

You have a national media that either shows pity or shows delight in your misery.

You have a conference that has not yet learned to show you any respect.

You know that if you bench the QB for reasons other than injury, you could stall his development and damage his confidence. Maybe permanently. Maybe recruiting, too.

You further know that if you don’t get a win soon, you may lose the rest of your team. And, many more of your fans.

The Questions You Now Face:

Do you change QBs in hopes for a quick win? Or do you keep playing the first QB and keep hoping that he find’s his game and you get that win in the process?

Or do you decide the problem is really somewhere else?

How do you ignite the “on” switch on a team that lacks energy and cohesiveness after you’re tried?

And do you ever look in the mirror and wonder why you decided to leave a good job you had before?

Maybe someone here could answer this competently if they had spent 5 years playing Div  1 ball, earning a NC as a player, going on to a decent career in the NFL as a defensive player, then serving on several highly successful coaching staffs, eventually becoming a HC and winning the AP Coach of the year award after having been undefeated.

Anybody with those credentials posting on here?  

I will wait.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Maybe someone here could answer this competently if they had spent 5 years playing Div  1 ball, earning a NC as a player, going on to a decent career in the NFL as a defensive player, then serving on several highly successful coaching staffs, eventually becoming a HC and winning the AP Coach of the year award after having been undefeated.

I will wait.

Damn good post.

3 hours ago, milehighbob said:

(1) Vedral starts because he makes quick decisions, is a better passer, and runs when appropriate. 

(2) Inside the 5 yard line its power football.

(3) I start youth at LB these last four games.

(4) Lamar Jackson can start, but I allow younger guys to get playing time. If LJ won't tackle, he's on the bench.

(5) Nebraska shifts to the I-formation and starts running power football. You cannot be a power football team and not be tough. 

Hard to disagree with anything you've said.  I'd probably tweak a tad.  I'd pull a TO and promise Noah a series or 2 that was pre determined ie 1st series in the 2nd half, 3rd series etc.....

I would use Mills more than 6 times and try to save my 5'10 190lbs bell cow from getting destroyed running between the tackles....I'd really love to have seen a heavy dose of Mills in games like Indy and Purdue. (he carried 8 and respectively in those losses)

I'd use some youth across the board.  I'd actually give Rahmir more than 1 carry so he would not have burned his shirt for 1 carry per 4 games....SMH.....

3 games to get 2 wins....Yea, I'm coaching my a$$ off and let folks across the board (staff included) we are auditioning for next season....(and getting some bye week advice on fixing what I can)

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I will wait.

Not to be that guy, but the guy you described is currently 8-13 at NU.....nothing wrong with throwing out ideas.  It's a message board and a way too vent.  I honestly see issues in execution, personnel and coaching.....Defense, Offense and ST all have had issues, BUT have also played very well at times.  Glimpses of "what could be".    It just seems we can't put all phases together at the same time.  UNFORTUNATELY, I really can't tell you the last time we did.  In 2009 we had one of the best defenses I have seen and a non existent offense for example....So it's not just a Frost thing.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I implement several pages of Osborne's playbook. I Formation and Double Wing plays that we saw briefly against OSU, and more. ISO, FB Dive, Counter, Pitch, Belly, PA TE Seam/Out, QB Keep. Jet/Fly sweep hand-offs to J.D. and fakes off of that. Some spread formation, as well.  I make my game plan very simple - keep the ball away from Jonathan Taylor. Keep our worst in the conference defense OFF the field. This is done by 4 yards and a cloud of dust. Not 3. 4. 

Move the chains and shorten the game as much as humanly possible. Every snap is under 5 on the play-clock. During these two weeks of practice, harangue the line until they and coach Austin can't stand the sight of me. They will have very simple blocking assignments, but they will block until the whistle, or they WILL NOT PLAY. Get those 4 yards. Then line up and get them again. 

We will never beat Wisconsin going 5 wide, Chuck and Duck like we did last year. That puts WAY too much pressure on a freshman (now sophomore) QB. Grinding it out in the I makes life much easier for him, and on keepers, they can't have a spy on him like teams are doing now. He doesn't have to think. Hand the ball off, keep it, or look at 2 guys down field after play action, or take off. Easy.

I know one kink in my plan is Mills, who weighs in at a smallish 200 for a fullback. Hemphill is bigger, at 225, or you could get crazy and throw a big kid like Newsom out there to lead block.

Before anyone says I'm crazy, it's no crazier than trying to go 5 wide against them, or run zone read with 10/11 personnel against what the Badgers have up front. If I'm Scott Frost, I challenge my entire team to BE TOUGHER. Line up and fire out! Play football! Use every fiber of my being to get these kids to block, bring in old Pipelines, guys that want to play again with an N on their helmet, it hurts. Let them lay into the guys, and if they don't like it, TOO BAD. You play football for Nebraska. You are expected to run block! 

I tell Chinander to run a 4-6 and stop Taylor at all costs. Make Coan and Cephus beat us, but don't let them run all over us like last year. 

If we string some first downs together, maybe hit a play-action pass, I GUARANTEE you Memorial stadium will be rocking louder than it has in a decade. The kids will feed off of this, adrenaline will flow. Holes will open a little wider. Wandale, Ramihr, Mills, and Martinez will find running lanes. The defense will respond. 

We'll have a CHANCE.

Nothing says simple game plan like complete changing offensive philosophy during the bye week. Give it up people the 90s aren't coming back. 

• Fire 1

More power run and less side to side running (especially now without MoWa).  Use Mills or a guy who can go between the tackles. 

I have not seen the ability to run tempo bc it seems we don't have all the pieces yet for that.  So control clock more with power run and QB run. 

Also use multiple back sets.  Use jumbo sets.  Play action and roll outs to backs, slots, and TE's over sideline screen passes that go backwards.  

Disguise blitzes from other areas since our front cannot pressure we need to find another way to get to the opposing QB.

More zone concepts on defense as I have not seen our corners or LB's play man very well.  

• Plus1 1

I think you change formations in the middle of the season. You come out with the L  and L-Gun to keep the fan base happy which yearns back to the days of power football.

535921234_TheL.jpg.0388666fc890491f52b1ded5efa49109.jpg

Or you come to the realization this dumpster fire was way worse than we ever imagined and trust in what the coaches (except maybe the D-coordinator) are doing.