You Are The Head Coach

11 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Maybe someone here could answer this competently if they had spent 5 years playing Div  1 ball, earning a NC as a player, going on to a decent career in the NFL as a defensive player, then serving on several highly successful coaching staffs, eventually becoming a HC and winning the AP Coach of the year award after having been undefeated.

Anybody with those credentials posting on here?  

I will wait.

No.  He's not posting in here.  He's just out there losing games for Nebraska.

8 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Nothing says simple game plan like complete changing offensive philosophy during the bye week. Give it up people the 90s aren't coming back. 

This.  The same people that think we won natl championships one after another starting 22 walkons from NE think moving back to the option solves all our ills.  Newsflash, Osborne was one of the first to use the “spread”, while our offense used the triple option it wasn’t 100% based on it...think navy.  Btw what the hell do you guys think rpo off inside zone is in theory....it’s an extended triple option.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Maybe someone here could answer this competently if they had spent 5 years playing Div  1 ball, earning a NC as a player, going on to a decent career in the NFL as a defensive player, then serving on several highly successful coaching staffs, eventually becoming a HC and winning the AP Coach of the year award after having been undefeated.

Anybody with those credentials posting on here?  

I will wait.

If his 15 tackle career is considered decent in your mind, I’d hate to see what a good career looks like. Frost is and was a great athlete, but let’s not hype things up to prove a point. 

Also, according to you, 99.99% of us should keep our mouths closed and have no clue what a quality coaching staff looks like because we don’t have those credentials.

Tom Shatel in the OWH covers this today. 

There is no way that Frost cuts AM loose. Dr. Tom stuck by SF and looked what happened. SF remembers that very well. It was his life. 

Read the quotes in the OWH. Dr. Tom said something to the effect that Frost was 22 and doing the best that he could; his scholarship was then worth $7k per year. The rest is history. 

• Plus1 1

I probably start over on defense. I'd run a 5-2 or 4-3 front until I get the right guys who are physically able.  This 3-4 B.S. has a 3 man rush and 4 guys dancing backwards like a bunch of idiots while TE's and RB's are running free. Plus it allows slow QB's to run 25 yds down the field cause the LB's are chasing their own shadows. I haven't heard the term dime or nickel defense in years. When I'm leading at the end of game, I'm blitzing on every play against a walk on QB. 

Offensively, take the 1 yard pass to the TE out of the playbook. Tell the wideouts when it's 3 and 8, don't run a 6 yard pattern. Act like you know what you are doing.  We have one receiver that can be a burner, the rest seem to be just window dressing. Warner should have at least 5 catches a game,  and for crying out loud Wandale is not a running back. He should have 6-10 touches per game so he is still alive and fresh late in ballgames.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, you people are fools second guessing Scott Frost. He won a national championship as a player and he was very successful at UCF and everywhere he went as a coach. If he can't win here, then no one can. 

My previous thread about the fans calling the plays in real time was all a joke, satire and send-up. 

Hell, I was the third string offensive tackle on the Pender Pendragons. I don't know anything about playing and coaching football and no one here does either! 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Nothing says simple game plan like complete changing offensive philosophy during the bye week. Give it up people the 90s aren't coming back. 

He's already ran a bunch of these plays. It's not a complete change of anything. Is it not obvious this offense is not working? Our defense is almost last in EVERY statistical category. If we're going to win, we need to keep them off the field.

Why not drive block to beat hell, grind out yards, and run the clock? Doesn't that give us a better chance?

Or, we could keep up the crap we've seen all season - throw it 2 or 3 times, stop the clock, go three and out, punt/shank it 30 yards, and get pushed backwards until they score. Rinse and repeat. 

I've had enough of this 'the 90's are over' crap. We KNOW. I'm simply talking about good football strategy and philosophy - ball control as opposed to up-tempo that hasn't really been there all year, and when it has, the opponent just takes a dive. Yay. 

If they came out and ran for some first downs, hit some play-action passes, the place would go nuts for the first time since...hmmm, oh yeah, they did it against Ohio State. That's the loudest our stadium has been all year. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I want to rewatch the game and count how many plays Eric Lee was on the field. You people say we don't run nickle or whatever, but we did, on Saturday. People just don't like to pay attention

Not to mention when domman is on the field that is essentially our nickel d.  I haven’t seen much dome but think the coaches have said some of the injuries, specifically Williams early in the yr, limited what they felt comfortable doing in that def

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

He's already ran a bunch of these plays. It's not a complete change of anything. Is it not obvious this offense is not working? Our defense is almost last in EVERY statistical category. If we're going to win, we need to keep them off the field.

Why not drive block to beat hell, grind out yards, and run the clock? Doesn't that give us a better chance?

Or, we could keep up the crap we've seen all season - throw it 2 or 3 times, stop the clock, go three and out, punt/shank it 30 yards, and get pushed backwards until they score. Rinse and repeat. 

I've had enough of this 'the 90's are over' crap. We KNOW. I'm simply talking about good football strategy and philosophy - ball control as opposed to up-tempo that hasn't really been there all year, and when it has, the opponent just takes a dive. Yay. 

If they came out and ran for some first downs, hit some play-action passes, the place would go nuts for the first time since...hmmm, oh yeah, they did it against Ohio State. That's the loudest our stadium has been all year. 

TOP in the Purdue game was pretty equal...same was true in Indiana.  I’d be willing to bet that trend holds true through much of the season.  The idea that our def is out there all the time isn’t based in fact.  

Our oline is is hot garbage and asking them to road grade anyone isn’t going to look much better.  Outside of new names on the oline I’m not expecting much.  I’m not saying we can’t mix it in but certainly wouldn’t want to change our whole offensive strategy to move to the I, option game.  Yes those days ARE over.

2 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Not to mention when domman is on the field that is essentially our nickel d.  I haven’t seen much dome but think the coaches have said some of the injuries, specifically Williams early in the yr, limited what they felt comfortable doing in that def

For sure. No Deontai means Taylor-Britt can't be moved around like they want, and guys like Sullivan and Lee have to take bigger roles. I love those guys, but they are not strengths of the defense. Add in no Taylor-Britt last week, and our hand is pretty weak in the back 7.

• Plus1 1

Run I-formation every down, when the defense stacks the box, play action pass.  

So simple that anyone can be Tom Osborne!  

Seriously, yes, Martinez has issues this year but you trust the coaches and no matter what, you don't burn your futures red shirt to try to get a W on an already lost season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

This.  The same people that think we won natl championships one after another starting 22 walkons from NE think moving back to the option solves all our ills.  Newsflash, Osborne was one of the first to use the “spread”, while our offense used the triple option it wasn’t 100% based on it...think navy.  Btw what the hell do you guys think rpo off inside zone is in theory....it’s an extended triple option.

We've ran maybe 2 good RPO's all season. We don't have a QB that can throw that pass with accuracy, so the 'option' to pass isn't even there. Why keep trying this crap that isn't working?

I'm not calling for option every play. You set things up. Mills on a dive/trap (like we already did with success), counter to Wandale/Rahmir. ISO. Pitch. PA Boot Pass. A Belly or Reverse Option every now and then. 

With the lax rules on holding and jersey pulling, there's no reason it couldn't work today. I'm not yearning for the past so much as smart, solid, ball-control football, because what we've been doing has been, for the most part, an utter failure.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We've ran maybe 2 good RPO's all season. We don't have a QB that can throw that pass with accuracy, so the 'option' to pass isn't even there. 

Off topic, but we don't have a QB that even throws it. I swear I've seen Martinez run a read option and Stoll or Spielman will be on the sideline waiting for a pass as Martinez proceeds to get strung out along the LOS. Why doesn't he flip it out to the third option like ever? Its frustrating because it seems open at times.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Run I-formation every down, when the defense stacks the box, play action pass.  

So simple that anyone can be Tom Osborne!  

Seriously, yes, Martinez has issues this year but you trust the coaches and no matter what, you don't burn your futures red shirt to try to get a W on an already lost season.

They've had Rahmir on the field for one play in 2 games and he didn't get the ball. If that's not burning a redshirt, I don't know what is. I didn't even say 'I Formation every down,' so stop with that bullcrap. 

You think any of our quarterbacks are going to take a shotgun snap in 10/11 personnel and have enough time to find anyone with 5 guys who are mediocre pass blockers 'protecting' them? We're not going to pass on Wisconsin, plain and simple. 

• Plus1 1