What defensive unit is the weakest link?

My vote is the linebackers. I do not think we have the talent, nor do we have a position coach to mitigate the lack of talent. Ruud had zero experience coaching the position until Frost hired him last year. Recruiting is also a concern. Our linebackers are constantly out of position, they lack discipline, and struggle immensely setting the edge. Nebraska also does not have a legitimate LB who can rush off the end. If there is anything that needs to addressed it is out LB coaching. 

thoughts? 

• Plus1 2

RUSHING DEFENSE YTD link

rank   yds/carry   yds/game   Opp Rush TDs

PSU       #2        1.99               64                5

Wisc      #5        2.83               84                5 

Iowa      #8         3.07              88                2

tOSU     #9         2.54               92                2 

(71 other teams) 

Nebr     #81       4.33             174              20  

Ummm, maybe we should look at our DL and LBs.  (OTOH, we're #75 for passing yards allowed.  So there's that.  *sigh*)

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It's linebackers and it's not close. They're the straw that stirs the drink in a 3-4 Defense. If you wanna get really scared go look at how many LB commits we have in the 2020 class

Haha.  I wish it was just scary...It's straight out terrifying IMO.....ILB without a question. It's not a "position", but a true edge rusher....

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

The entire front 7 is garbage.

We had to get through 8 posts to get to DL.  Thank you sir.

Not a one of them makes an individual play on a regular basis.  Sometimes it’s weeks before you hear their names.

The DL and LBs are equally bad followed by the OLBs.  Just because I’m grumpy I’ll throw the QB in this group.

• Haha 4
11 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

We had to get through 8 posts to get to DL.  Thank you sir.

Not a one of them makes an individual play on a regular basis.  Sometimes it’s weeks before you hear their names.

The DL and LBs are equally bad followed by the OLBs.  Just because I’m grumpy I’ll throw the QB in this group.

5 posts actually, but who's counting?  

The thing is, a better D-line makes everyone on the defense look better--LBs, DBs, everyone.  Even the defensive coordinator!  It all starts up front.  

• Plus1 1