What defensive unit is the weakest link?

43 minutes ago, NUance said:

5 posts actually, but who's counting?  

The thing is, a better D-line makes everyone on the defense look better--LBs, DBs, everyone.  Even the defensive coordinator!  It all starts up front.  

Thing is, our D-line isnt bad.  They actually are the best position group on our team imo..not that that says much.  Imagine how bad our LBs look with a bad D-line?? Thats scary.

Edit: you got it backwards.  Our LBs make our D line look worse, our D line if anything makes our LBs look less terrible than they are.  Thats how bad our LBs are.

• Plus1 1

So many choices. I say the defensive coaching staff, but I’m giving the D line coach a break because they’re always overmanned but still play with a lot of heart.

Do I think they can turn it round? Yes.

At times they look great but turn to crap against a hurry up offense.

It seems like there are a lot of things contributing to it...probably the biggest seems to be no on -field leadership and a lot of looking at sideline signals which completely comes apart under stress.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Thing is, our D-line isnt bad.  They actually are the best position group on our team imo..not that that says much.  Imagine how bad our LBs look with a bad D-line?? Thats scary.

Edit: you got it backwards.  Our LBs make our D line look worse, our D line if anything makes our LBs look less terrible than they are.  Thats how bad our LBs are.

When Ohio State formed a wall and their QB ran around the right end like it was nothing.... Lavonte David busts through that wall and tackles him at the LOS.

Thats the difference. 

Edit: Or Suh.

57 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

^ He's right. The bigs up front have done a decent enough job controlling the LOS (there are exceptions). For the post part our ILB have had clean fits and the OLB have had a clean edge. Most our problems on defense have stemmed from ILB inability to fill, OLB inability to set the edge, OLB inability to get after the QB, and all the LBs inability in coverage. My gut feeling is we will really miss Daniels at the nose next year.

If the LB play doesn't improve drastically, it won't be WILL Chin get fired, it will be WHEN Chin gets fired.

• Plus1 2

On 11/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

We had to get through 8 posts to get to DL.  Thank you sir.

Not a one of them makes an individual play on a regular basis.  Sometimes it’s weeks before you hear their names.

You're not supposed to be hearing the DL's names being called much! That's not how it works in most 3-4 schemes! Posts like this are driving me batty, because there's a whole lot of misplaced blame here.

I mean hell, simple counting should tell you that you're not going to hear the DL's names called as much, since there's only three of them on the field. But you also need to realize that they have very different responsibilities in a 3-4 than in a 4-3. Mostly, they're there to chew up OL blocks and take up space, while the linebackers are the guys responsible for pass rush and making plays. And it's our linebackers that are letting us down, there.

Perhaps the most important cog in a 3-4 defense is the nose guard. He needs to be big enough and strong enough to take on double-team blocks, and he can't allow guards to reach the linebackers behind him.

A defensive end's role also changes significantly in a 3-4. In a 4-3 alignment, defensive ends line up outside a tight end or offensive tackle, where they hope to use their speed and athleticism to beat blocks. Most of the time, an end's sole responsibility is to rush the quarterback and collapse his pocket. In a 3-4, an end's most important job is to control gaps and beat double-team blocks to push the pocket.

Because their sole responsibility often is to take on blocks, playing nose guard and defensive end in a 3-4 is considered somewhat unglamorous. Ends and tackles won't produce the eye-popping stats they might get playing in a 4-3. More than anything else, their job is to free up linebackers to make plays.

The weakside linebacker usually is the premier pass-rusher in a 3-4. But he also has to be big enough and strong enough to beat blocks from offensive tackles and running backs. A strongside linebacker often is asked to drop into space and cover tight ends and running backs on passing plays. The two inside linebackers are supposed to find holes in the line and make plays in the running game or pressure the quarterback.

^ More teams turning to 3-4 defense - ESPN

Here's what Purdue's coach had to say about our D after the game:

Knowing the Huskers have a strong trio on the defensive line, Brohm said the Boilermakers needed to exploit weaker parts of the defense.

“I think when you look at Nebraska, they have three really big linemen that can clog up the run a little bit,” Brohm said. “You have to be able to mix a few runs in, but I don’t think maybe they have the speed rushers that can get to the passer quite as fast.”

TL;DR: Our linebackers are the problem, and it's not even close. And it's even scarier when you look at how our LB recruiting has went lately...

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

You're not supposed to be hearing the DL's names being called much! That's not how it works in most 3-4 schemes! Posts like this are driving me batty, because there's a whole lot of misplaced blame here.

I mean hell, simple counting should tell you that you're not going to hear the DL's names called as much, since there's only three of them on the field. But you also need to realize that they have very different responsibilities in a 3-4 than in a 4-3. Mostly, they're there to chew up OL blocks and take up space, while the linebackers are the guys responsible for pass rush and making plays. And it's our linebackers that are letting us down, there.

TL;DR: Our linebackers are the problem, and it's not even close. And it's even scarier when you look at how our LB recruiting has went lately...

Great points.  We need some linebackers....if anyone watches tape, its clear our DL is NOT the problem.  Our LBs flat out suck.  We may have the worst set of LBs in power 5 football.  Probably worse than many FCS teams even.

Edit: Im not sure how good our 2nd string safeties are, but i would have seriously considered playing a 4-2-5, or a 3-0-8 for that matter.  3 or 4 DL, and a bunch of safeties/corners....just take our LBs off the field please.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Great points.  We need some linebackers....if anyone watches tape, its clear our DL is NOT the problem.  Our LBs flat out suck.  We may have the worst set of LBs in power 5 football.  Probably worse than many FCS teams even.

Edit: Im not sure how good our 2nd string safeties are, but i would have seriously considered playing a 4-2-5, or a 3-0-8 for that matter.  3 or 4 DL, and a bunch of safeties/corners....just take our LBs off the field please.

When Domann is out there we're basically in a 3-3-5 - does that count? But yeah, I've gotta think we'd be seeing more DBs if Deontai was healthy. Cam being out last week hurt too - those are the guys I would think would be sub package LBs. 

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

When Domann is out there we're basically in a 3-3-5 - does that count? But yeah, I've gotta think we'd be seeing more DBs if Deontai was healthy. Cam being out last week hurt too - those are the guys I would think would be sub package LBs. 

Agree on Cam and Deontai.  I think Deontai would make a great fast outside LB, i was pretty upset when we lost him the first game of the year.  Also we beat Purdue with Cam.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

To Brohm's comments, for whatever reason, it appears that other teams scout us way better than we scout them or we really have tells that are easy to see.....  Maybe Frost can reach out to Urbs and have him "scout" our team as an analysts..... Our screen passes get sniffed out before the ball gets to the QB, several coached have mentioned ways to exploit the D,  stifle Martinez etc.....My fear is we seem to have no counters to any of it.  No exotic blitzes, no manufactured pressure, no counters/traps to slow an aggressive D, no quick slants, outs etc.....Really mind boggling IMHO. And to be out coached and out played by teams that we "out talent" is painful to watch....

Last year, Husker chalk talk showed a lot of setting up one play with another.  This year they are MIA. Closed up shop or just madness and no method?   (I know this is O related)

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

To Brohm's comments, for whatever reason, it appears that other teams scout us way better than we scout them or we really have tells that are easy to see.....  Maybe Frost can reach out to Urbs and have him "scout" our team as an analysts..... Our screen passes get sniffed out before the ball gets to the QB, several coached have mentioned ways to exploit the D,  stifle Martinez etc.....My fear is we seem to have no counters to any of it.  No exotic blitzes, no manufactured pressure, no counters/traps to slow an aggressive D, no quick slants, outs etc.....Really mind boggling IMHO. And to be out coached and out played by teams that we "out talent" is painful to watch....

Last year, Husker chalk talk showed a lot of setting up one play with another.  This year they are MIA. Closed up shop or just madness and no method?   (I know this is O related)

Maybe some of this comes down to the fact we can't even execute our base defense properly. I mean if you run an exotic blitz or try to manufacture pressure, but you don't get home it's the perfect recipe for a team to house it. On offense I think there is more adjustments then people realize, but we just have breakdowns. For example, that shovel pass to Wan'Dale at the goal line is the perfect over aggressive D call, but our tackle forgot he played football on the play. 

• Plus1 2