What defensive unit is the weakest link?

1 hour ago, r06ue1 said:

I wonder if Frost is starting the Riley players simply because they get their dues for staying in the program (seniority) or the well is really this dry and this is all we can field.  

Good post. As for this part, I’d be really interested to hear Frost’s off the record thoughts. My feeling, and I may be way off base, is that the players starting give us the absolute best chance of winning now, and Frost is desperate to pick up any win he can because he knows the team is a bit fragile and the fanbase can be as well. Get a couple wins and maybe we start rolling. Drop a couple games, and we collapse. With hindsight, I’m sure Frost would have done things differently knowing this was a lost year. Even as frustrating as this year has been, we are really close to being 6-3 (or 2-7 too lol).

Hard to go full rebuild and play all young guys when he also has to show we are on the right track to recruits.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

This actually a solid observation.

Chin had 2 years as a college OLB coach. In the 2nd year Oregon Defense was historically bad. 35+ ppg bad - same Oregon team that got out to a 31-0 lead in the Alamo bowl then allowed 31 straight 2nd half points (sound familiar) to TCU and lost in OT. Chin just hasn’t had time under elite DCs, that’s why we’re in for a lot of growing pains. Wisconsin on the other hand went Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Leonard...the pedigree and blueprint are miles ahead of us.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Chin had 2 years as a college OLB coach. In the 2nd year Oregon Defense was historically bad. 35+ ppg bad - same Oregon team that got out to a 31-0 lead in the Alamo bowl then allowed 31 straight 2nd half points (sound familiar) to TCU and lost in OT. Chin just hasn’t had time under elite DCs, that’s why we’re in for a lot of growing pains. Wisconsin on the other hand went Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Leonard...the pedigree and blueprint are miles ahead of us.

Yep Chins has only been a DC for 3 full seasons. I too see a lot of stumbles. He needs to grow in a hurry so Frost isn't put in a position where he has to choose between him and the success of the program.

Wisconsin hired experience while Leonard was growing. They also had the LBs to transition to a 3-4 too. Gotta say Andersen for the short time he was there left the Badgers some gifts.

• Plus1 1
On 11/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, Husker in WI said:

At Wisconsin, Orr is very generously listed at 6' and the others are 6'2, 6'2, and 6'3. Other than Chenal (250) they are listed between 224-232. So it's really not the size - an extra inch or two would be nice, but they're not that much taller or bigger than our guys. They absolutely play faster though, and are actually assignment sound. I really thought they'd take a step back there this year, but they just churn these guys out.

Nick Buoniconti  was considered a shrimp. They say guys with his numbers wouldn't even get a tryout today.

13 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

He can recruit too.

Honestly a veteran set of eyes would do a lot for this defense. Need to identify where they have problems in scheme and talent - and put a plan together to fix it. Especially eyes that have seen it done at places like Wisconsin and LSU - probably a pipe dream.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Haha isn't it? I couldn't believe it at first when I looked it up. 

LSU fans after today saying "worth every penny". Beating Bama is good for everyones checkbook.

• Plus1 3
21 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Wisconsin on the other hand went Aranda, Justin Wilcox, Leonard...the pedigree and blueprint are miles ahead of us.

We do have one guy on the staff from that tree - Tony Tuioti coached under Wilcox at Cal.

21 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Honestly a veteran set of eyes would do a lot for this defense. Need to identify where they have problems in scheme and talent - and put a plan together to fix it. Especially eyes that have seen it done at places like Wisconsin and LSU - probably a pipe dream.

LSU fans after today saying "worth every penny". Beating Bama is good for everyones checkbook.

Pellini won a Natty as DC at LSU in 2007.  Would he do?