What defensive unit is the weakest link?

4 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Ya, Hagg seemed like a perfect fit for the Peso position. Bo's Peso package, along with his match up zone coverages by the DBs, were pretty effective vs Spread Offenses. It didn't translate so well to the BIG10 though.......:(

No, because the main goal is to stop the passing game. I will say, if we had the players we had in 2009, it wouldn't really matter what defense was being run, they would have been good.

Bo got messed up moving to the Big Ten. He used this defense specifically to stop spread teams like Missouri. For some reason, he never adjusted. 

1 minute ago, Igetbored216 said:

No, because the main goal is to stop the passing game. I will say, if we had the players we had in 2009, it wouldn't really matter what defense was being run, they would have been good.

Bo got messed up moving to the Big Ten. He used this defense specifically to stop spread teams like Missouri. For some reason, he never adjusted. 

My read on it was he insisted his defense was sound, and that if players did their jobs he wouldn't need to change. Problem is their jobs in his defense were really difficult against teams like Wisconsin. I know there were rumors players weren't doing their assignments in the infamous B1G championship game, but even if they were asking Sean Fisher to chase down Melvin Gordon on a fly sweep is a big ask.

Drawing up a "sound" defense isn't difficult, drawing up a sound defense that the players can execute is. I think Pelini's was sound across the board, and was almost revolutionary in how well it put players in places to succeed against the spread. Against other offenses, it asked a lot more of the players and we didn't have LSU-level talent other than Suh.

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

My read on it was he insisted his defense was sound, and that if players did their jobs he wouldn't need to change. Problem is their jobs in his defense were really difficult against teams like Wisconsin. I know there were rumors players weren't doing their assignments in the infamous B1G championship game, but even if they were asking Sean Fisher to chase down Melvin Gordon on a fly sweep is a big ask.

Drawing up a "sound" defense isn't difficult, drawing up a sound defense that the players can execute is. I think Pelini's was sound across the board, and was almost revolutionary in how well it put players in places to succeed against the spread. Against other offenses, it asked a lot more of the players and we didn't have LSU-level talent other than Suh.

This is exactly the way it was with BP.  His run fits were to precise, he didn't want to over commit to stopping the run, because it would make him less sound against the pass. He wouldn't drop a safety down a little closer to the LOS to help in run support.  So Wisconsin would just run for 400 yards against his defense.  ;)  

Seriously though, If you go back and watch some of those BP coached teams against Wisconsin they would often hold up fairly well against the run for 2-3 series and they would get out of a run fit and someone would rip off a 65 yard TD run and the flood gates would be opened.  

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Agreed. Man, that 2009 defense was elite. Offense was on the other end of the spectrum that year. What could have been... 

Post after post mentioning the linebackers, and then of course the Big Truth of the whole front 7 being garbage.  We do of course see our safety get outrun on a routine basis.  And we see our crap a$$ stats on third downs, etc.  And our poor sets on every other play. 

Our defensive slowness, weakness, silliness, and lack of leadership.  The thread is about the poorest defensive unit, though.  Is the DC a unit? 

Most of the players starting today are members who played on the 2017 defense which was likely the worst Nebraska defense of all time (Was 2017 the worst Nebraska defense ever?).  

Front seven:  

DE    96    Davis, Carlos RS SR                  Mike Riley recruit
NT    79    Daniels, Darrion SR/TR            Transferred to play with little Bro who was a Mike Riley recuit
DE    94    Davis, Khalil RS SR                    Mike Riley recruit
OLB    22    Davis, Alex RS SR                   Mike Riley recruit
ILB    31    Miller, Collin RS JR                  Mike Riley recruit
ILB    7    Barry, Mohamed RS SR            Mike Riley recruit
OLB    2    Tannor, Caleb SO                     Scott Frost recruit*

Backfield:  

NB    13    Domann, JoJo RS JR                  Mike Riley recruit
CB    21    Jackson, Lamar SR                     Mike Riley recruit
SS    19    Dismuke, Marquel RS JR            Mike Riley recruit
FS    5    Taylor-Britt, Cam SO                      Scott Frost recruit*
CB    23    Bootle, Dicaprio RS JR                Mike Riley recruit

*last minute recruitment due to coaching change.  

2017 "memorable" losses:  

at Oregon                      L 35–42
Northern Illinois           L 17–21
No. 9 Wisconsin           L 17–38
No. 9 Ohio State           L 14–56
Northwestern                L 24–31 OT
at Minnesota                 L 21–54
at No. 13 Penn State    L 44–56
Iowa                                L 14–56

I wonder if Frost is starting the Riley players simply because they get their dues for staying in the program (seniority) or the well is really this dry and this is all we can field.  

I am waiting for the day that it is all Frost players on the field, mostly the 2019 and up class, though there were some nice 2018 pickups, it was a last minute class.  Only then will we see what kind of product Frost and co. can field.  I don't expect any serious changes next season either, likely might see some improvement as more Frost players get on the field but don't expect us to compete for any Western division crown.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Most of the players starting today are members who played on the 2017 defense which likely the worst Nebraska defense of all time (Was 2017 the worst Nebraska defense ever?).  

Front seven:  

DE    96    Davis, Carlos RS SR                  Mike Riley recruit
NT    79    Daniels, Darrion SR/TR            Transferred to play with little Bro who was a Mike Riley recuit
DE    94    Davis, Khalil RS SR                    Mike Riley recruit
OLB    22    Davis, Alex RS SR                   Mike Riley recruit
ILB    31    Miller, Collin RS JR                  Mike Riley recruit
ILB    7    Barry, Mohamed RS SR            Mike Riley recruit
OLB    2    Tannor, Caleb SO                     Scott Frost recruit*

Backfield:  

NB    13    Domann, JoJo RS JR                  Mike Riley recruit
CB    21    Jackson, Lamar SR                     Mike Riley recruit
SS    19    Dismuke, Marquel RS JR            Mike Riley recruit
FS    5    Taylor-Britt, Cam SO                      Scott Frost recruit*
CB    23    Bootle, Dicaprio RS JR                Mike Riley recruit

*last minute recruitment due to coaching change.  

2017 "memorable" losses:  

at Oregon                      L 35–42
Northern Illinois           L 17–21
No. 9 Wisconsin           L 17–38
No. 9 Ohio State           L 14–56
Northwestern                L 24–31 OT
at Minnesota                 L 21–54
at No. 13 Penn State    L 44–56
Iowa                                L 14–56

I wonder if Frost is starting the Riley players simply because they get their dues for staying in the program (seniority) or the well is really this dry and this is all we can field.  

I am waiting for the day that it is all Frost players on the field, mostly the 2019 and up class, though there are some nice 2018 pickups, it was a last minute class.  Only then will we see what kind of product Frost and co. can field.  I don't expect any serious changes next season either, likely might see some improvement as more Frost players get on the field but don't expect us to compete for any Western division crown.

Interesting

Or, is Defensive recruiting under Frost a failure so far? 

Ah......2017 the year of the 3-4 experiment?  How’s that working out?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, SFW said:

Or, is Defensive recruiting under Frost a failure so far? 

In some ways honestly yes.

So far.....

There are key redshirts on defense though, including Robinson, Pola-Gates, Newsome, Heinrich and Hannah.  

So how 'bouts we just breathe and let them develop before we start throwing the word failure around.....

52 minutes ago, TheSker said:

In some ways honestly yes.

So far.....

There are key redshirts on defense though, including Robinson, Pola-Gates, Newsome, Heinrich and Hannah.  

So how 'bouts we just breathe and let them develop before we start throwing the word failure around.....

Glad we can agree.

I like the potential of those guys but that all it is.

Frosts defensive recruiting will always be a failure unless he is bringing in 5 star nose tackles consistently to run the 3-4.  

4 minutes ago, SFW said:

Glad we can agree.

I like the potential of those guys but that all it is.

Frosts defensive recruiting will always be a failure unless he is bringing in 5 star nose tackles consistently to run the 3-4.  

Of course it's just potential, they are redshirt freshmen.

Many would say the linebackers are key to the 3-4.

How about we let Frost do his thing and see how it goes?

Now feel free to get back to your job as internet critic.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

I don't know. The line is decent. I think they would look pretty good if the linebackers would do their damn job. Oh, and if we had an OLB or two that could get after the QB in one vs one situations. 

Honestly their complete lack of ability to rush the QB, overshadows any positives they may show against the run.

If I had to grade the 2 aspects:

Ability to hold ground against run= C+

Ability to beat man 1:1 to create pressure= D-