What's it going to take?

Fat Tony

1 hour ago, thatguy said:

Just call plays that have low degrees of difficulty and risk in that moment and situation. 

53 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Your point is valid, in that the play works if everyone does their assignment. But, with the frequency that our OL fails to execute, I like the idea of running your 225 QB from the normal spread formation, giving him some possible angles and some room to work, and even using 200+ lb Mills as a possible lead blocker. It worked on both TDs in the 4th quarter, and I wish Frost would have run it earlier. I guess he did learn from the failed attempt, as he made successful changes on the later goaline situations.....

Frost adjusted and did that later as you pointed out. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try it there especially because we've executed shovel passes to Wan'Dale on several occasions for huge gains or TDs.

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You should go watch that play again. If our tackle doesn't have one of the most pathetic blocking attempts I've ever seen that's an easy TD. The play call was not bad, the execution was.

You mean the same tackle that has looked like that all year long? It wasn't shocking to me to see such horrible execution from him. He has been consistently horrible all year. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I saw a graphic recently that said that KSU had zero 4 or 5 stars while Oklahoma had over 50. Not trying to bash on Scott, but scheme and coaching matter, too. 

I'm so tired of people saying this team needs to get more talent. Yes, every team needs more talent, but not to beat Indiana and Purdue. Nebraska has more talent at the starting positions than either of these teams. 

Scheme and coaching matter

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You obviously must have missed the number of times in the last few games we ran the ball needing a couple yards and got stuffed.

You can't just always do that in that situation.  So...now we have a play call that mixes it up...it doesn't work and all of a sudden the OC is an idiot for doing it.

I watched the game, just like everyone else. No one said Frost "was an idiot", so you must like to overreact to things and be a smartass. And you obviously missed the 2 times later in the same game vs the same team where it worked. The run worked 2 out of 3 times, and is a common strategy inside the 5 yard line, so I'm saying just play the averages. Or I guess he could just ask you, because you seem to have all the answers....

4 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

The run worked 2 out of 3 times, and is a common strategy inside the 5 yard line, so I'm saying just play the averages. 

So, you're saying play conservative and do the common thing.

4 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Or I guess he could just ask you, because you seem to have all the answers....

Umm....you're the one saying he did the wrong thing.

So....you're the one that says our coach did it wrong and I'm the one who claims to know everything.

Hmmmm....

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you're saying play conservative and do the common thing.

Umm....you're the one saying he did the wrong thing.

So....you're the one that says our coach did it wrong and I'm the one who claims to know everything.

Hmmmm....

I'm saying it worked 2 out of 3 times, so there is some real world data to back up that it's a sound strategy. Your reasoning is: "You can't just always do that in that situation."

Hmmmmmm.....  

53 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

I'm so tired of people saying this team needs to get more talent. Yes, every team needs more talent, but not to beat Indiana and Purdue. Nebraska has more talent at the starting positions than either of these teams. 

Scheme and coaching matter

You will find all kinds of excuses for why we suck. Its the players- then we lose to purdue. Then its culture. Pretty much anything other than scheme and coaching gets looked at.

I think Frost is the guy. But he has a few assistants that need gone

9 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I'm saying it worked 2 out of 3 times, so there is some real world data to back up that it's a sound strategy. Your reasoning is: "You can't just always do that in that situation."

Hmmmmmm.....  

You really have taken an odd path in this conversation.

a)  You claim the coach did it wrong and it's ridiculous that you don't just line up and run the RB 4 times.

b)  You claim you want Frost to remain aggressive.

c)  You claim doing the conservative thing (running the ball with the RB with a full back) is the aggressive decision.

d)  You claim I'm acting like I know everything and Frost should call me because I have all the answers.

c)  You go back to claiming you know better than Frost because your idea worked 2 out of 3 times while quoting me saying "You can't just do that all the time".

d)  Your stats show your idea doesn't work all the time.

While I understand that consistency in coaching is a good thing, I am not sold that Chin is the right fit for Nebraska. I wholeheartedly believe that Frost is the right guy for the job but he needs to surround himself with competent coaches that can understand schemes and adjust quickly during a game. Neither the defense nor or OL have played well in four quarters in any of our games. The fact that we are regressing as compared to how we ended the season is alarming and I strongly believe that Frost must make some tough decisions and let some of his FRIENDS go for the sake of this team. There is no shame in admitting that certain coaches have not lived up to their hype. If Frost remains stubborn and refuses to bring competent coaches to replace some of his buddies, this ship will not be righted for a long time. Loyalty to the current coaches without self evaluation is not going to be well. Chin has had two years and he has yet to show any competence. In fact, players have regressed tremendously, especially in the secondary.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Ulty said:

I've never liked this philosophy. No coaches aren't the ones out there missing tackles and dropping passes, but it's the job of the coaches to teach those players. Poor fundamentals and poor execution absolutely belongs to the coaches. 

You can't coach effort? Well, you can reward good effort. You can motivate. You can disincentivize poor effort. 

I don't know the answers, and I still pretty much believe that it is Frost or bust. But I think everything falls on the coaches.

not sure if anyone else has heard this but coaches don't teach on practice field, it is all taught in film room..if that is true,  not a very good coaching method

10 hours ago, thatguy said:

being aggressive in that situation would be lining up with a full back and running 4 times till we got in the end zone. calling that play is all about hubris, not aggression.

That's more like being Frank Solich c. 2002 in games when he'd just plain given up.

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You will find all kinds of excuses for why we suck. Its the players- then we lose to purdue. Then its culture.

As if these are somehow different, unrelated things? :facepalm:

2 hours ago, April Wine said:

not sure if anyone else has heard this but coaches don't teach on practice field, it is all taught in film room..if that is true,  not a very good coaching method

There is plenty of video evidence from fall camp of the coaches teaching in practice. Also, what would that even look like? They go to practice and just run scrimmages and the coaches don't correct anything? This has to be the weirdest thing I've heard yet. 

• Plus1 1