What's it going to take?

Fat Tony

On 11/6/2019 at 12:05 AM, Nebhawk said:

Starts and ends with recruiting.  Until we have some NFL draft picks on this roster, the games are not going to  change a lot.  A break thru victory would change things immensely.  Heck, a Bethune-Cookman game right now would change things up!

When I read threads like this, and ask myself which part of this team is doing good, you don't have an answer.......no part is doing theres well enough.  Can't pinpoint one certain area that needs more help than the other.  Schemes don't matter, on either side of the ball.  If we lose our next game, might as well burn the RS and get players some time and action to evaluate for next season.  Find your best 11 on both sides of the ball and play them.  If we  are doing that already, then our best 11 on each side is well below average.  

Again, recruiting is the mainstay for any program.  We were minus for a couple of years, and now playing catch up.  It only takes a few players to change or transform a roster.  Either addition by subtraction, or just plain adding some thru recruiting.  

The Hawkeyes recruiting classes constantly rank lower than ours, but they have developed a lot of NFL players.  Better coaching would make a huge difference.

We would already be bowl eligible if we beat the teams we have more talent than.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

The Hawkeyes recruiting classes constantly rank lower than ours, but they have developed a lot of NFL players.  Better coaching would make a huge difference.

We would already be bowl eligible if we beat the teams we have more talent than.

And Ferentz’s record his first three years in Iowa city was 11-24. 

it took him time to build that O line and culture. 

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You really have taken an odd path in this conversation.

a)  You claim the coach did it wrong and it's ridiculous that you don't just line up and run the RB 4 times.

b)  You claim you want Frost to remain aggressive.

c)  You claim doing the conservative thing (running the ball with the RB with a full back) is the aggressive decision.

d)  You claim I'm acting like I know everything and Frost should call me because I have all the answers.

c)  You go back to claiming you know better than Frost because your idea worked 2 out of 3 times while quoting me saying "You can't just do that all the time".

d)  Your stats show your idea doesn't work all the time.

What's REALLY odd is your apparent lack of reading comprehension, your habit of falsely quoting people, and your smart-a$$ little quips anytime anyone suggests that maybe, just maybe that our young HC might have made a mistake.  Let's look at your claims point by point:

a) You claim the coach did it wrong and it's ridiculous that you don't just line up and run the RB 4 times. Read my post. First of all, I never said to run the RB. And, I never once said it was "ridiculous". I suggested, looking at in-game evidence of positive results, that IMO the QB run would have been a better choice. Here is the quote: "I like the idea of running your 225 QB from the normal spread formation, giving him some possible angles and some room to work, and even using 200+ lb Mills as a possible lead blocker."

b) You claim you want Frost to remain aggressive. I never once mentioned "aggressive" in any of my posts in this thread. So, you are either being outright dishonest or really confused.

c) You claim doing the conservative thing (running the ball with the RB with a full back) is the aggressive decision. Again, I never once used the words "conservative" or "aggressive"' to describe the situation. And, once again, I never said "run the ball with the RB with a fullback", I suggested using the QB run, so here is another outright fabrication. Again, here is the quote: "I like the idea of running your 225 QB from the normal spread formation, giving him some possible angles and some room to work, and even using 200+ lb Mills as a possible lead blocker."

d) You claim I'm acting like I know everything and Frost should call me because I have all the answers. You’re the one who responded with the condescending “You obviously must have missed the number of times in the last few games we ran the ball needing a couple yards and got stuffed." ,  suggesting how wrong I was. So, it sure seems you are claiming that you know better, and I am the one who is "obviously missing" things.  

c) You go back to claiming you know better than Frost because your idea worked 2 out of 3 times while quoting me saying "You can't just do that all the time." Frost has forgotten more about football than I will ever know, but that doesn't mean he doesn't screw up. He has admitted screwing up in his play calling earlier in the year vs Colorado and Illinois. If you actually take time to read what I wrote, I offered an opinion that another option may have been preferable, and it happens to be the same play that he used with success twice later in the game. That is all I suggested. You took issue with my post, and you offered "You can't just do that all the time."  as a reason.  If it works all the time on a given opponent, then you most certainly can do it all the time. Tom Osborne built a dynasty based on this very principle of "Do it until they stop it." And, for the record, the QB run actually worked 2 out of 2 times it was dialed up, so not sure what the "2 out of 3 times" is referring to....

d) Your stats show your idea doesn't work all the time. Not sure what "stats" you are referring to that "show your idea doesn't work all the time". The stat I quoted was that the QB run was tried twice and it worked twice in goal line situations, so not sure what in the world you are talking about. As a side note, have you seem how many times we have botched the execution of pass plays in the last few games? We have had trouble executing both phases of our Offense at times, so I fail to see why your point is a ringing endorsement for running a shovel pass on the 3 yard line.

I want to have thoughtful discussions on the Husker football program, and this board has a lot of that going on. But you seem to have a habit of overreacting when anyone criticizes Frost or the staff, you seem to like to misrepresent what people say, and it's obvious you like to fabricate lies to try and prove your point.  If that's all you can come up with, please block me or ignore me, because I have no desire to engage in ridiculous debates based on lies and misrepresentations.....

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

What's REALLY odd is your apparent lack of reading comprehension, your habit of falsely quoting people, and your smart-a$$ little quips anytime anyone suggests that maybe, just maybe that our young HC might have made a mistake. 

But yet.

I'm the one that Frost should call because I act like I have all the answers.

Interesting.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, locolizard said:

We don’t have any depth which is why things implode in the 4th quarter.  As far as recruiting, I would go with 2 and 3 star players that have heart.  The 4 and 5 star players we have are the ones that Alabama, OSU and other elites didn’t want.  Last year’s Super Bowl consisted of predominantly all 2 and 3 star college players, meaning coachable (this is why Belichek has so much success).  The coaching carousel has to stop.  Kids don’t know who they’ll be playing for year to year if we continue down this road.  Nebraska used to always win 9 games a year because of a weak conference under TO but would usually lose a bowl game.  The BIG10 is so physical and currently our team gets worn down by the end of the game.

Super Bowl winner Patriots offense comprised of an average high school recruit ranking of 2.64 and defense was 2.82.  Tom Brady wasn’t even ranked out of High School.  There’s a method to their success year after year.  Devaney and Osborne ran a similar system.  We’re going to have to redshirt in masses and reinstate the walk on program and get these guys on the weights/training table.  Most of our linemen didn’t play until their 4th year (redshirted juniors mostly walk ons).  Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez emulated our program and has very few 4 and 5 star recruits. List below are some pretty darn good lower ranked recruits out of high school in the NFL.

Russell Wilson 2, Jordy Nelson 2, JJ Watt 2, Talib 2, Brady NR, Aaron Rodgers 3, Michael Sherman 3, Big Ben 2,  Chris Harris NR.  The list goes on....

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, locolizard said:

Super Bowl winner Patriots offense comprised of an average high school recruit ranking of 2.64 and defense was 2.82.  Tom Brady wasn’t even ranked out of High School.  There’s a method to their success year after year.  Devaney and Osborne ran a similar system.  We’re going to have to redshirt in masses and reinstate the walk on program and get these guys on the weights/training table.  Most of our linemen didn’t play until their 4th year (redshirted juniors mostly walk ons).  Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez emulated our program and has very few 4 and 5 star recruits. List below are some pretty darn good lower ranked recruits out of high school in the NFL.

Russell Wilson 2, Jordy Nelson 2, JJ Watt 2, Talib 2, Brady NR, Aaron Rodgers 3, Michael Sherman 3, Big Ben 2,  Chris Harris NR.  The list goes on....

There are obviously exceptions to recruiting rankings, but there are just thousands more low rated players coming out of high school. If you take a random 4 star and a random 2 star, the odds are astronomically higher that the 4 star will turn out.  And recruiting rankings back to Brady's time aren't great. According to this article, Brady was probably a high 3 low 4 star.

Again, the NFL has the benefit of waiting to see how the guys develop in college. If you fill out a college team with 2 star players, you'll end up with maybe a handful of decent players. You will not end up with Aaron Rodgers throwing to Jordy Nelson. You are much, much more likely to get Beau Davis throwing to Santino Panico.

• Plus1 2

Nebraska has a number of factors working against it.

1. It used to be whomever won the Nebraska/Oklahoma game won the old Big 8 conference and played in a major bowl game. Now, In the B1G you play 12 regular season games in a conference with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin & Penn State, Iowa is no slouch either. Then you’ve got to play a conference title game and 2 playoff games vs top 4 teams to win a NC.

2. They are in a state that doesn’t produce a lot of top recruits which means they must recruit out of state talent. Anytime you have to board a plane to recruit at a high level you’re at a disadvantage.

3. It’s been so long since Nebraska was a dominant program that your typical 18 year old recruit doesn’t see anything special about the program. A kid born in 2001 doesn’t know anything about Tom Osborne and the glory days

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Most of our linemen were not walk-ons.

Some where....but not "most".

Walk Ons” looks at the history of the walk-on program at Nebraska, including Langston Coleman, who in the early 1960s became the first Husker walk-on when he joined Bob Devaney’s squad. The official institution of the walk-on program began in 1973, the first year of Tom Osborne’s reign as Husker head coach, because of a NCAA reduction rule in the number of scholarships that could be offered.

photo1.jpg

Husker walk on: Joel Makovicka

In addition to Coleman, former Husker walk-on greats Jeff and Joel Makovicka, Jeff Jamrog and Jason Peter talk about their walk-on experiences, and Osborne, current Husker coach Bo Pelini and sportswriters discuss the past and present impact of the fabled program.

Utilizing both vintage and contemporary footage, “Walk Ons” demonstrates how the walk-on players have contributed to Nebraska’s success on the gridiron. Viewers also meet two current Nebraska walk-ons as they aspire to become part of the Big Red team.

What is consistently voiced throughout the program is how the walk-on athletes exhibit a hard work ethic, loyalty and the concept of never giving up -- attitudes representative of Nebraska’s tradition of blue-collar values

hard work ethic is desperately needed.

5 minutes ago, locolizard said:

Walk Ons” looks at the history of the walk-on program at Nebraska, including Langston Coleman, who in the early 1960s became the first Husker walk-on when he joined Bob Devaney’s squad. The official institution of the walk-on program began in 1973, the first year of Tom Osborne’s reign as Husker head coach, because of a NCAA reduction rule in the number of scholarships that could be offered.

photo1.jpg

Husker walk on: Joel Makovicka

In addition to Coleman, former Husker walk-on greats Jeff and Joel Makovicka, Jeff Jamrog and Jason Peter talk about their walk-on experiences, and Osborne, current Husker coach Bo Pelini and sportswriters discuss the past and present impact of the fabled program.

Utilizing both vintage and contemporary footage, “Walk Ons” demonstrates how the walk-on players have contributed to Nebraska’s success on the gridiron. Viewers also meet two current Nebraska walk-ons as they aspire to become part of the Big Red team.

What is consistently voiced throughout the program is how the walk-on athletes exhibit a hard work ethic, loyalty and the concept of never giving up -- attitudes representative of Nebraska’s tradition of blue-collar values

hard work ethic is desperately needed.

What does this have to do with my post?

16 hours ago, locolizard said:

Zip.  Just relaying that we need the walk on program back to challenge the starters in practice to build toughness, something we clearly lack.  

I'm not saying the walk-ons don't have any value to the success of historical Nebraska teams, but the main reason they won were great talent and coaching, especially in the 90s.  The 90s teams included the fastest players ever recruited to Nebraska, and they were all highly rated in the recruiting rankings.

What's it going to take? What we as fans have been told for the last 18 years, but this time we really need to be. Patience.

Patience with this staff. Yes, I know we have been told to be patient for decades now, and I am sure Nebraska fans roll their eyes at the word and idea, but there has to be faith in patience with Frost and Co.

• Plus1 2