This ought to rile up the anti-Dirk crowd:

Cdog923

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

I don’t really care for dirk as I don’t think he’s all that great a writer

Objectively, Dirk is a very talented writer. That's not really up for consideration.

His motives... that's where he runs into trouble.

A guy can have a brilliant crossover but still intrinsically be a bad guy. That's not a mutually exclusive thing.

Thing is, we have great examples of fantastic writers, statistics nerds, photographers and recruiting gurus here in Husker Land.

They just all happen to magically MYSTERIOUSLY congregate at Hail Varsity. 

SUPER WEIRD, innit?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

10-2 looks pretty good right now....come to think of it, always has....minus our gold strike in the 90s.  If i was Bo, i probably would have reacted similarly.  Dirk, Eichorst, and Pearlman were douches, and treated Bo unfairly.  I think any true Husker would enjoy a tussle with Eichorst and Pearlman.  2 of the purest forms of douché.

I won’t argue with you that the admin didn’t give bo a fair shake and were awful.  That being said I think bos behavior in the tam game early didn’t win many fans in the admin.  Bo should have been licking the fans boots telling us thank you....instead turned the locker room against the fans and talked smack about us at every opportunity.

10-2 does indeed look much better.  However, you failed to address some of the biggest points.  He’s on the hot seat at YSU...flipping YSU.  Talent had declined under his watch because he was a lazy recruiter (he and beck snubbed burrow).  A good portion of the worst defensive performances in history came under his watch. Specifically towards the end he was closer to 7 wins than he was to 10.  Looking what he left MR with in ‘14 no way he wins more than 7-8.  I’m not here to hash on bo but the love he seems to still get in small circles in baffling to say the least.

• Fire 1

That’s a funny article, that individual loves his hate for Dirk. 

Objectively Dirk may be a good writer, but he’s good at only writing someone else’s story because when he interjects his opinion then he becomes a classic sportswriter moron - he doesn’t know s#!t from shinola. 

After that 1620 breakfast the other month with him and the players from his 24th and Glory book, I found it comical when he was describing how lowly of a job (stockyards?) something was, but then the player stopped him mid-sentence to correct him, not about a simple nuance but about what the job meant to that person. My point, is how much does he interject from his position as a cozy sportswriter voice vs actually sharing the perspective from the subject of the story? The guy just doesn’t get it, but because he writes about husker football, fans flood for any new available content, so he’s got that going for him. 

Outside of Chris Heady and Jon Nyatawa, that sports department at OWH acts too big for their britches. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Where do you know him from?

Wanted to say he posted articles/commentary on one or more Husker sites back in the day. Maybe even old-school Huskerpedia at turn of the century...it's been a LONG while though. 

And as I thought about it, I don't think he was that off-base. I think there may have been a few things I disagreed with him on, but again, his heart was in the right place, so I felt he was critiquing Nebraska from a place of love and admiration. 

11 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I won’t argue with you that the admin didn’t give bo a fair shake and were awful.  That being said I think bos behavior in the tam game early didn’t win many fans in the admin.  Bo should have been licking the fans boots telling us thank you....instead turned the locker room against the fans and talked smack about us at every opportunity.

10-2 does indeed look much better.  However, you failed to address some of the biggest points.  He’s on the hot seat at YSU...flipping YSU.  Talent had declined under his watch because he was a lazy recruiter (he and beck snubbed burrow).  A good portion of the worst defensive performances in history came under his watch. Specifically towards the end he was closer to 7 wins than he was to 10.  Looking what he left MR with in ‘14 no way he wins more than 7-8.  I’m not here to hash on bo but the love he seems to still get in small circles in baffling to say the least.

That sentiment is misguided. Bo did do some frustrating things (ie - hat swing, challenging admins to keep him, etc.) but it was clear that the administration didn't support him and many in the media were riling up the average fan at every turn. He didn't owe anything more to the fans, let alone licking boots.

He did make the conference title game in three of his seven years. Yes, I know we lost those but I believe it was only a matter of time before the cards starting falling our way. Please remember that 2014 would have had a Junior class including: Armstong, Westerkamp, Bando, Gerry, B.Reilly, Collins & Valentine. The latter two likely stay for '15 with Bo & Kaz and the team stays in the top 15 range. In short, we were primed for a good run. Bo was brash, aggressive and could be a d*ck sometimes, but the guy was a winner and got his team to play for one another. 

• Plus1 4
19 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

Ill give you he was a lil lazy recruiting wise.  Im not saying Bo was the next T.O. or anything, but what i am saying is that he was a good football coach.  He also recruits better if the admin and media wouldnt have chopped him down from the knees.  His players loved him.  

Also, he didnt inherit anything great.  He inherited a similarly weak culture as Scott did...more talent yes, but a weak culture.  And i think he had pretty bad assistants in the latter half of his career here.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Ill give you he was a lil lazy recruiting wise.  Im not saying Bo was the next T.O. or anything, but what i am saying is that he was a good football coach.  He also recruits better if the admin and media wouldnt have chopped him down from the knees.  His players loved him.  

Also, he didnt inherit anything great.  He inherited a similarly weak culture as Scott did...more talent yes, but a weak culture.  And i think he had pretty bad assistants in the latter half of his career here.  

How’s this world beater of a head coach able to fight off all these pwr five offers right and left and still coach a large HS team in Ohio.  Btw, a few articles this week indicating he’s on the hot seat at YSU.  The idea that he’s some great coach is delusional....the evidence is he’s has an average at best record at YSU and the fact he’s still there and not a pwr five.  He’s mister I can recruit from my car.  Snubbed burrow to offer some kid from tx that ended up starting at TE after transferring to a new HS...for the qb position.

agree to disagree I suppose.  If bo ever came back here in any role I’d literally follow a new team until he was canned again.

• Fire 1
22 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I don’t really care for dirk as I don’t think he’s all that great a writer but writes hella clickbait for headlines and summaries.  That being said, I’ve seen over the past few days comparisons to SF to bo or wondering the great things that could be if he’d just return as def coordinator.

all I got to say is time must make the heart grow fonder.  Bos def was great with Callahan recruits bit as he got “his” players in his defense was simply avg to below.  Don’t recall the exact stats but the majority of defensive meltdowns came under his tenure as a defensive genius.  Let’s forget all the blowouts to oh st, Michigan, and Wisconsin.  Yr after yr he was closer to 7 wins than he was to 10 or 11.  I’m convinced with no superstar returning in ‘14 his magical run of 9 wins each yr was coming an end.  Bo has as much to do with the current state of athleticism on the football team as does MR.  

you all all want a guy that has just been rumored to get canned at YSU, a more fitting level for him, to come back to NU.  No thank you.  Our def is doing just fine allowing major rushing yds without allowing that clown back.  Bo is and always will be a below avg HC, avg dc, and above position coach.  All that with an ego and attitude I wouldn’t want my worst enemy around.

Michigan? 

12 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Spot on

8 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes, I know we lost those but I believe it was only a matter of time before the cards starting falling our way. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but could you give me any other examples over the last 25 years of a coach finally elevating to winning conference championships after seven years at a program? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Overall I liked Bo. Given what we have been through since he left I can see why people are blown away that he was fired, but I think we easily forget that even though Bo won a lot of games, never winning less than 9, we never beat teams with a relative pulse, and would always find a way to lose a game we should win. He reached his ceiling at Nebraska, he wasn't going to get any better. Another thing that hurt Pelini's Nebraska teams was the constant lack of identity on offense. 

Yes, those 9-4 and 10-4 seasons seem like pipe dreams to have right now, but they were mediocre seasons in the grand scheme of it all. Would I take one of  those padded 9 and 10 win seasons right now? Absolutely, for one year to just get some momentum back to Nebraska, but those seasons were not improving with more years with Bo as coach. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Overall I liked Bo. Given what we have been through since he left I can see why people are blown away that he was fired, but I think we easily forget that even though Bo won a lot of games, never winning less than 9, we never beat teams with a relative pulse, and would always find a way to lose a game we should win. He reached his ceiling at Nebraska, he wasn't going to get any better. Another thing that hurt Pelini's Nebraska teams was the constant lack of identity on offense. 

Yes, those 9-4 and 10-4 seasons seem like pipe dreams to have right now, but they were mediocre seasons in the grand scheme of it all. Would I take one of  those padded 9 and 10 win seasons right now? Absolutely, for one year to just get some momentum back to Nebraska, but those seasons were not improving with more years with Bo as coach. 

People also overlook that the big ten as a whole has gotten better as well.  Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Penn st, Indiana, MN are all better than they were through much of bos tenure. NW, Illinois Mich St are probably level. Throw in the bottom feeders of Rutgers.  9 wins in the current big 10 is a far cry from the cake walk bos teams had to face.  We are going through some growing pains now but have no doubt SF is the right man.  

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Spot on

7 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

People also overlook that the big ten as a whole has gotten better as well.  Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Penn st, Indiana, MN are all better than they were through much of bos tenure. NW, Illinois Mich St are probably level. Throw in the bottom feeders of Rutgers.  9 wins in the current big 10 is a far cry from the cake walk bos teams had to face.  We are going through some growing pains now but have no doubt SF is the right man.  

So he wouldn't have won as many games as he was winning? I find that hard to believe, and his team's were getting better, and his defense was finally changed over to what was needed in the big 10.  Discounting Bos wins is just ridiculous fodder.  Purdue is 3 and 6.  Iowa? Lol those Iowa teams were good, it's almost like one of them didn't lose until the title game.  Get out of here with your conjecture with no basis of anything.