This ought to rile up the anti-Dirk crowd:

Cdog923

55 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I thought we were primed for a run in '15 &'16 with Armstong/Westy/Collins/Valentine as Juniors then Seniors. It's all speculative now but I believe that we had a great chance to jump up.

2015 was the year that Wisconsin was deceptively depleted. That was prior to playing three cross-divisional games, I believe. Their two cross-divisional games were against Maryland & Rutgers. Our game against them that year was the one where Janovich got us the lead with that fullback trap and then they marched down close enough for their fat kicker to win them the game.

By 2016, Collins & Valentine had entered the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

2015 was the year that Wisconsin was deceptively depleted. That was prior to playing three cross-divisional games, I believe. Their two cross-divisional games were against Maryland & Rutgers. Our game against them that year was the one where Janovich got us the lead with that fullback trap and then they marched down close enough for their fat kicker to win them the game.

By 2016, Collins & Valentine had entered the NFL.

True on both accounts. It could be argued that Collins & Valentine would have stayed had Bo & Kaz been kept as neither were a 1st or 2nd round draft pick and Hughes was fired after 2015. It would have also given the twins and Mick more time to develop and add considerable depth along the d-line. Can't change the past unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

True on both accounts. It could be argued that Collins & Valentine would have stayed had Bo & Kaz been kept as neither were a 1st or 2nd round draft pick and Hughes was fired after 2015. It would have also given the twins and Mick more time to develop and add considerable depth along the d-line. Can't change the past unfortunately.

Yep. We were kind of tapped out from Bo's run of awesome running backs after Ameer graduated in '14. Ozigbo (who was obviously fairly talented) was a freshman, and then we had Imani Cross & Newby.

Tim Beck would have done better than Riley did with that offensive crew. But it wasn't exactly a star studded offensive roster and Armstrong had kind of hit his peak.

• Plus1 1

Rumor has it Adam Taylor was actually in line to be the starter after Ameer and would have complimented Imani & Newby rather well. Ozigbo was a Riley recruit if I remember right. They didn't know what to do with him though as he was fourth on the depth chart as a Junior before Tre Bryant got hurt. 

Wasn't star studded but it would have worked well. Had Bo's job security not been in question in the prior year or two, we don't know what kind of talent would be in the program. Long game of what ifs though.

Just now, Landlord said:

9 wins and won division in year 2 (kind of year 1.5), and won a conference championship in year four. What's the point?

6 wins in year 3? I'm not getting too caught up in the exact years. There just aren't that many blue-blood rebuilds to point to for similarities and differences. The point is they were back to not good even in year 3, had a big jump shortly thereafter, then a steady rise to dominance.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

9 wins and won division in year 2 (kind of year 1.5), and won a conference championship in year four. What's the point?

You said "Championship play" NOT conference championship play. By the way, that is called "Conference title" not championship (see the key in the graphic above). My point is that he fulfills what you were asking for.

• Plus1 1
Just now, cheekygeek said:

You said "Championship play" NOT conference championship play. By the way, that is called "Conference title" not championship (see the key in the graphic above. My point is that he fulfills what you were asking for.

Given that the conversation is based on contextual comparison to Pelini, and has had several more posts demonstrating other coaches, it's abundantly clear that what I meant and what was being discussed was conference "titles", which if you win you become a champion :o 

24 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Given that the conversation is based on contextual comparison to Pelini, and has had several more posts demonstrating other coaches, it's abundantly clear that what I meant and what was being discussed was conference "titles", which if you win you become a champion :o 

giphy.gif