JJ’s Killer Chili

I’ve had numerous varieties of red chili but this recipe is far and away my favorite and it is simple to prepare.

Ingredients

1- 46oz can tomato juice

2- 15oz cans petite diced tomatoes

2- 5oz cans Kuners Hot Chili Beans

1 Lb. Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage

1 Lb. Ground Beef 80% to 93% lean (none of that 73% stuff) or Ground Buffalo/Venison/Elk

8 to 12ozs Grilled Steak like Ribeye or Strip (the steak is optional)

1 large sweet onion, Maui or Walla Walla, chopped/diced (or yellow onion)

1 Green bell pepper chopped/diced

2 or 3 medium to large Jalapeño peppers chopped/diced & seeds removed

1 med to large Jalapeño pepper sliced and cut in half (leave the seeds and membranes in this one for some heat)

2 pkgs French’s Chili-O seasoning

1 to 2 tsps dry mustard

1 to 2 tsps Red pepper flakes to taste/heat

a few dashes of Tabasco (optional)

Pour tomato juice, diced tomatoes and canned beans into crockpot set on high.

Brown sausage and ground beef and drain.

Return meat to skillet and add the 2 pkgs of Chili-O seasoning to meat. Stir/Mix well and let the seasoning cook in to the meat a bit.

Dump the seasoned meat into the crockpot.

If adding steak, cut the grilled steak into smaller than bite sized pieces and put in the pot.

Add the onion, peppers, dry mustard and red pepper flakes to the crockpot.

Cook on high for about an hour then reduce to a lower temp.

The chili is best after it has simmered for awhile and especially after it has been cooled and reheated.

I wouldn’t worry about getting brand name canned items. Some of my best batches have been using whatever was on sale or the store brand. The one exception would be the steak. Use a high quality medium rare grilled steak or none at all. I prefer it made with buffalo or venison but it’s also good with ground beef. I’m not a big bean fan but I do like the pinto beans in chili sauce. If you like red kidney beans you could probably add some but I hate them and never use them. I heard somewhere that the dry mustard helps prevent farts :lol: (the jury is still out on that) but I do like the slight tweak to the flavor it contributes.

Serve plain or add some cheddar cheese and or crackers. When you get tired of bowls of chili then it’s time for chili dogs with extra diced onion.

• Plus1 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...