Jump to content
lo country

Husker talent and where we rank

Recommended Posts

Here is a good link that shows where we are talent wise in the B1G with transfers/departures/guys getting kicked off etc.....You can change the year as well to see previous composite rankings (as well as just look at the B1G).....For the record, we are above most teams in the B1G.....An article relates to this says that no team w/out a 5* has played for the MNC since 2002.  MSU getting close in 2015.... 

 

Pretty good stuff IMO.   While a class might rank higher at the beginning, attrition (whatever the cause) puts a dent in the performance.

 

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten  (Composite rankings)

 

Here is a good link that shows where we are talent wise in the B1G with transfers/departures/guys getting kicked off etc.....You can change the year as well to see previous composite rankings.....For the record, we are above most teams in the B1G.....An article relates to this says that no team w/out a 5* has played for the MNC since 2002.  MSU getting close in 2015.... 

 

https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-2019-Team-Talent-Composite-rankings-what-you-need-to-know-134779024/ (Shows under/over performing teams and what composite means)

 

Based purley on the "rankings" we are under performing...But the "eyes" tell you that.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, lo country said:

Here is a good link that shows where we are talent wise in the B1G with transfers/departures/guys getting kicked off etc.....You can change the year as well to see previous composite rankings (as well as just look at the B1G).....For the record, we are above most teams in the B1G.....An article relates to this says that no team w/out a 5* has played for the MNC since 2002.  MSU getting close in 2015.... 

 

 

First off, excellent thread!  But I'm not sure that 247 is completely accurate on the transfers/departures.  247 shows 20 4*s on the roster.  But by my count I see 17 4* commits on our roster--and that includes Mo Washington.  (Is he on? Off?  I dunno.)  I didn't count the 3* guys.  Too many for my small brain. 

 

Boy, looking back at the classes, we got killed by the departures from the 2017 class.  A lot of them bailed out.  Especially the most talented ones.  No doubt because they had the most options to go elsewhere.  

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We are definitely under performing, but I don't think the talent composite tells the whole story because this team is so young. I saw the chart below on Facebook (I don't have access to the full article, but I think this is interesting). The talent on the top of our team is really poorly ranked compared to the rest of the country because of attrition. The highly ranked Freshmen and Sophomore classes help to bolster the overall team composite. I don't think this defends this season, we should be better, but this team has a major lack of experienced talent and these adjusted rankings fit our season ranking better.

 

74677121_10217813659630813_7247215377321558016_o.thumb.jpg.2f12f29317333d3f7a93e497f7cf9a28.jpg

 

And there it is. Many have been saying attrition has been killing us but these numbers illustrate how bad it really is. 100th in 2017 is brutal, 2018 not looking much better. Luckily the 2019 class seems to be panning out much better than recent classes

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest misconception in recruiting is a regular 4* vs a regular 3* - there usually is no difference at all. Nebraska will never get 5* talent to come here. The only time you see a difference in a 4* is if they are super high 4*...Wandale, Corcoran, Betts. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The biggest misconception in recruiting is a regular 4* vs a regular 3* - there usually is no difference at all. Nebraska will never get 5* talent to come here. The only time you see a difference in a 4* is if they are super high 4*...Wandale, Corcoran, Betts. 

False.

  • Plus1 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The biggest misconception in recruiting is a regular 4* vs a regular 3* - there usually is no difference at all. Nebraska will never get 5* talent to come here. The only time you see a difference in a 4* is if they are super high 4*...Wandale, Corcoran, Betts. 

The bold part is what interest me.

I've been wonder if there is much difference between a 4* from Texas vs a 4* from the Southeast vs a 4* from California.

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We are definitely under performing, but I don't think the talent composite tells the whole story because this team is so young. I saw the chart below on Facebook (I don't have access to the full article, but I think this is interesting). The talent on the top of our team is really poorly ranked compared to the rest of the country because of attrition. The highly ranked Freshmen and Sophomore classes help to bolster the overall team composite. I don't think this defends this season, we should be better, but this team has a major lack of experienced talent and these adjusted rankings fit our season ranking better.

 

74677121_10217813659630813_7247215377321558016_o.thumb.jpg.2f12f29317333d3f7a93e497f7cf9a28.jpg

 

Does this take into account all the other teams attrition and we still fall from 31st to 66th in 2015? Or is this still showing all the teams with their full class vs our attrition?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

False.


Jalin Barnett, Jordan Stevenson, Avery Anderson, Patrick O'Brien, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Farniok, Avery Roberts, Tristan Gebbia, Jaevon McQuitty, Keyshawn Johnson Jr (regular 4* players). I think as of recent the script could flip some but hard to say since the last 2 classes have such little or no PT yet. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter but the stars from a high 3* to a 4* aren't always that much of a difference. 

 

5* players are kids who are almost always NFL talent and you mainly see the same programs get these kids. Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia. In the past 20 years Nebraska has only gotten 2 of those...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:


Jalin Barnett, Jordan Stevenson, Avery Anderson, Patrick O'Brien, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Farniok, Avery Roberts, Tristan Gebbia, Jaevon McQuitty, Keyshawn Johnson Jr (regular 4* players). I think as of recent the script could flip some but hard to say since the last 2 classes have such little or no PT yet. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't matter but the stars from a high 3* to a 4* aren't always that much of a difference. 

 

5* players are kids who are almost always NFL talent and you mainly see the same programs get these kids. Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia. In the past 20 years Nebraska has only gotten 2 of those...

I would agree to minimal difference between a low 4 star and a high 3 star, but I think there is, by an large, a significant difference between a low 3 star and a low 4 star.   A class composed of low 4stars would be highly preferrable to one composed of low 3 stars. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Does this take into account all the other teams attrition and we still fall from 31st to 66th in 2015? Or is this still showing all the teams with their full class vs our attrition?

 

I believe this came from a HOL article that I couldn't see. Someone else shared it in a Facebook group, but my understanding is this took into account all teams attrition and was class specific vs 247's team composite which is team specific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We are definitely under performing, but I don't think the talent composite tells the whole story because this team is so young. I saw the chart below on Facebook (I don't have access to the full article, but I think this is interesting). The talent on the top of our team is really poorly ranked compared to the rest of the country because of attrition. The highly ranked Freshmen and Sophomore classes help to bolster the overall team composite. I don't think this defends this season, we should be better, but this team has a major lack of experienced talent and these adjusted rankings fit our season ranking better.

 

74677121_10217813659630813_7247215377321558016_o.thumb.jpg.2f12f29317333d3f7a93e497f7cf9a28.jpg

 

My goodness - that is a huge drop off.   Hopefully we will get players who are excited about NU football, playing for SF and turn those numbers around.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL draft gives a pretty good indication, too.  When's the last time we had an early pick?  Randy Gregory?

 

We have a long way to go, Big Red.

 

p.s. - Sorry for my memory having failed me somewhat, Ameer:

 

Huskers in the NFL Draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

 

I believe this came from a HOL article that I couldn't see. Someone else shared it in a Facebook group, but my understanding is this took into account all teams attrition and was class specific vs 247's team composite which is team specific.

Good to know. So this is the first thing I have seen or heard that actually makes sense to me or explains the s#!t I see on the field week in and week out. We look like the 80th best team in the country. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good to know. So this is the first thing I have seen or heard that actually makes sense to me or explains the s#!t I see on the field week in and week out. We look like the 80th best team in the country. 

 

Yup I totally agree! I had looked to the team composite too and was like well we have talent. I think this shows just how bottom heavy our talent is. Plus you take into account the 4* who aren't even contributing to this team like Avery Anderson and it's probably worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...