Husker talent and where we rank

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And RB I'm only worried if Morrison/Scott don't make it. If the coaches had known Washington was going to flame out they would've signed another RB last year. Our guys last year were all long term other than Mills - Johnson needs size, Wan'Dale is doing what he can but is also undersized, and Thompkins has to heal. Scott and Morrison are both more physically ready, and presumable Johnson will be as well. Maybe even Thompkins. And if that's the case, Wan'Dale can play more receiver which is better for everyone.

Heading into next year, our wide receiver situation is arguably no better than this year. And it's been a fairly big pain point this year. As you say, it's much better if Wan'Dale plays more receiver next season. I understand how Frost uses the Duck-R spot, but he just isn't really big enough/durable enough to smash him between the tackles for more than a couple plays per game.

For me it's not as much about wishing we had signed an extra RB last year but that the JUCO that we did sign just isn't very good at all. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Heading into next year, our wide receiver situation is arguably no better than this year. And it's been a fairly big pain point this year. As you say, it's much better if Wan'Dale plays more receiver next season. I understand how Frost uses the Duck-R spot, but he just isn't really big enough/durable enough to smash him between the tackles for more than a couple plays per game.

For me it's not as much about wishing we had signed an extra RB last year but that the JUCO that we did sign just isn't very good at all. 

Good point on receiver, that's probably my biggest offensive concern next year. You can argue the guys we're losing haven't done much, but we haven't seen anything from the guys behind them either. I just think we only have one legitimate RB body this year, and it's Mills. I think we could've grabbed another one last year, and even if he wasn't a phenom he'd be somebody to stop Wan'Dale from getting killed and Rahmir from burning games for 1-3 plays.

Mills seemed to have found something in the middle of this year than lost it again. But I think one of Morrison/Scott can pick up the offense quickly enough to contribute, and they're just better equipped to be more than change of pace backs. Also curious what Rahmir looks like with a year of S&C, from my understanding they want him as a true RB instead of the Duck-R deal.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm interested to see what another off season does for Mills. He arguably wasn't a good fit for this offense having never run in a zone read before. He vision has seemed better at times, though not always and I think the staff was hoping he could be a big back vs an every down one and it just didn't shake out that way this year.

I could totally see them hitting a transfer running back for a one year rental type deal though.

On 11/7/2019 at 12:08 PM, BIG ERN said:

The biggest misconception in recruiting is a regular 4* vs a regular 3* - there usually is no difference at all. Nebraska will never get 5* talent to come here. The only time you see a difference in a 4* is if they are super high 4*...Wandale, Corcoran, Betts. 

What???

First off...what are you calling a "regular" 4* or 3*?  Are you saying the middle of the pack 4* or 3*?  If so, that would mean a player rated around a .86 is no different than a player rated around a .93.

To which....your statement is just laughable.

• Plus1 1

Here is what our LB situation looks like.  These are the guys listed on the depth chart.

Class of 2015

Davis .8058

Ferguson .8311

Barry  .8397

Avg.  .8255

Class of 2016

Miller  .8496

Avg.  .8496

Class of 2017

NOTHING

Class of 2018

Joseph Johnson Walk-on

Honas  .8818

Tanner  .8958

Avg.  .8888 (didn't count walk-on because not ranked)

Class of 2019

Riemer Walk-on

Nelson  .8659

Avg..8659 (didn't count walk-on because not ranked)

Looking at the classes that should be producing upper classmen (2015,2016,2017), that pretty much tells the story as to why our LB play sucks so bad.  It's what I consider the worst group on defense.  

Now, we need to pick up LB recruiting for 2020.  But, 2018 and 2019 should produce better players.  But, it's going to take some time.  Especially when you see 2019 also includes:

Hannah .8850

Henrich  .9383

Avg. .9116

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here is what our LB situation looks like.  These are the guys listed on the depth chart.

Class of 2015

Davis .8058

Ferguson .8311

Barry  .8397

Avg.  .8255

Class of 2016

Miller  .8496

Avg.  .8496

Class of 2017

NOTHING

Class of 2018

Joseph Johnson Walk-on

Honas  .8818

Tanner  .8958

Avg.  .8888 (didn't count walk-on because not ranked)

Class of 2019

Riemer Walk-on

Nelson  .8659

Avg..8659 (didn't count walk-on because not ranked)

Looking at the classes that should be producing upper classmen (2015,2016,2017), that pretty much tells the story as to why our LB play sucks so bad.  It's what I consider the worst group on defense.  

Now, we need to pick up LB recruiting for 2020.  But, 2018 and 2019 should produce better players.  But, it's going to take some time.  Especially when you see 2019 also includes:

Hannah .8850

Henrich  .9383

Avg. .9116

2015, 2016, 2017... Wow, that cupboard is bare!

26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It seems like people have actually convinced themselves that Frost hasn't underperformed at all his first 2 years.

I don't see that.

However, it's sticking your head in the sand if you don't recognize the issues he's dealing with.

For instance.  He has no control over the recruiting of LBs between 2015 and 2017.  But, he does in 2018 and 2019.

Would you agree that it appears that he is getting better players at the position? 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Reciever *should* be better next year. We need the RS freshman to come along. It would also help out bigly if Zavier Betts can come in and learn the playbook right away. But we have alot of young guys in that room right now and hopefully in another year they will be more ready to produce.

Interesting to see them list Hickman as a WR in the depth chart this week. I wonder if that is a get him on the field change or a permanent change based on roster numbers/performance. If he's struggling to put the necessary TE weight on he could still be a nightmare of a match up as a 6'6" WR who can block.

• Plus1 3