Husker talent and where we rank

36 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good to know. So this is the first thing I have seen or heard that actually makes sense to me or explains the s#!t I see on the field week in and week out. We look like the 80th best team in the country. 

Also explains why basketball schools get ranked a head of us. 

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We are definitely under performing, but I don't think the talent composite tells the whole story because this team is so young. I saw the chart below on Facebook (I don't have access to the full article, but I think this is interesting). The talent on the top of our team is really poorly ranked compared to the rest of the country because of attrition. The highly ranked Freshmen and Sophomore classes help to bolster the overall team composite. I don't think this defends this season, we should be better, but this team has a major lack of experienced talent and these adjusted rankings fit our season ranking better.

74677121_10217813659630813_7247215377321558016_o.thumb.jpg.2f12f29317333d3f7a93e497f7cf9a28.jpg

Man very depressing chart, I had wondered what the impact of the departing players has been,  I'm guessing that the adjusted ranking is against everyone else adjusted ranking.   This helps see why you need to give the coach time I would hope the departures stabilize as the staff and environment settle down.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, mnhusker said:

Man very depressing chart, I had wondered what the impact of the departing players has been,  I'm guessing that the adjusted ranking is against everyone else adjusted ranking.   This helps see why you need to give the coach time I would hope the departures stabilize as the staff and environment settle down.  

I think this is the composite for this chart is based on NU compared to other schools w/out attrition. That's why the drop is so sharp.  It's comparing a recruit class of "X" number of kids vs schools with full classes.  ie If NU had only recruited the kids that stayed, this would have been our actual rank.  The 247 is comparing is "supposed" to compare apples to apples with each schools losses.  

Regardless, it's easy to see how much work we have to do.  One things neither chart shows is guys who stay, but just don't pan out.... Still shows we recruit better than the majority of the B1G, but don't perform like it.  

To date, the young kids that have played meaningful snaps, Jurgens, Luke (limited), Wan'dale  and Nelson appear to be doing well and having success.....I know Bo developed SUH (IMO) and Frost with Shaqueem, but I am unsure how much a new coach/staff can really develop a kid who is a junior or senior...

• Plus1 5
17 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think this is the composite for this chart is based on NU compared to other schools w/out attrition. That's why the drop is so sharp.  It's comparing a recruit class of "X" number of kids vs schools with full classes.  ie If NU had only recruited the kids that stayed, this would have been our actual rank.

Agree. It has to to be counting attrition for us and not for the other teams.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We are definitely under performing, but I don't think the talent composite tells the whole story because this team is so young. I saw the chart below on Facebook (I don't have access to the full article, but I think this is interesting). The talent on the top of our team is really poorly ranked compared to the rest of the country because of attrition. The highly ranked Freshmen and Sophomore classes help to bolster the overall team composite. I don't think this defends this season, we should be better, but this team has a major lack of experienced talent and these adjusted rankings fit our season ranking better.

74677121_10217813659630813_7247215377321558016_o.thumb.jpg.2f12f29317333d3f7a93e497f7cf9a28.jpg

This actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it, where are we ranked this season per coaches and media?  Probably not too far off.  We are sorely lacking in the talent and experience departments and it shows on the field.  Give Frost at least two more seasons to get his first class to seniors and see how they play, I'm betting it will be an entirely different story.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, lo country said:

I think this is the composite for this chart is based on NU compared to other schools w/out attrition. That's why the drop is so sharp.  It's comparing a recruit class of "X" number of kids vs schools with full classes.  ie If NU had only recruited the kids that stayed, this would have been our actual rank.  The 247 is comparing is "supposed" to compare apples to apples with each schools losses.  

Regardless, it's easy to see how much work we have to do.  One things neither chart shows is guys who stay, but just don't pan out.... Still shows we recruit better than the majority of the B1G, but don't perform like it.  

To date, the young kids that have played meaningful snaps, Jurgens, Luke (limited), Wan'dale  and Nelson appear to be doing well and having success.....I know Bo developed SUH (IMO) and Frost with Shaqueem, but I am unsure how much a new coach/staff can really develop a kid who is a junior or senior...

It's sad that we're already being fed obvious BS so soon into the Frost era to explain away poor performance. Enough of the excuses.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It's sad that we're already being fed obvious BS so soon into the Frost era to explain away poor performance. Enough of the excuses.

I have said before it this wasn't a guy named Frost........BUT I do think he needs time to get his kids in and am willing to give him the time to do it.  He goes 4-8 next year (look at that schedule, it looks rough) He might be out of time....

IMHO, it's not all the kids.  Other coaches come in and have success with other coaches recruits.....Anxious to see how the recruiting fares this season with 2 back to back losing seasons....Maybe it was Sips who said kids don't go to Bama and Clemson for the facilities, but for the winning.....Winning cures all ills...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I have said before it this wasn't a guy named Frost........BUT I do think he needs time to get his kids in and am willing to give him the time to do it.  He goes 4-8 next year (look at that schedule, it looks rough) He might be out of time....

IMHO, it's not all the kids.  Other coaches come in and have success with other coaches recruits.....Anxious to see how the recruiting fares this season with 2 back to back losing seasons....Maybe it was Sips who said kids don't go to Bama and Clemson for the facilities, but for the winning.....Winning cures all ills...

So if any other coach not named Frost was running the show, you'd pull the plug?

Yet another head coaching search?

I'm glad that those actually running the show.......Moos for example......know that we have a talent issue.

• Plus1 4
15 hours ago, lo country said:

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

Agree. It has to to be counting attrition for us and not for the other teams.

Yea yall are wrong.

19 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I believe this came from a HOL article that I couldn't see. Someone else shared it in a Facebook group, but my understanding is this took into account all teams attrition and was class specific vs 247's team composite which is team specific.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea yall are wrong.

We lost 6 guys of the 2015 class.  That actually seems like it would be on the low on of the attrition spectrum to me. So I don't see how that losing 6 guys would move us down 35 spots.  It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

And it was on Facebook.  That tells me all I need to know.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We lost 6 guys of the 2015 class.  That actually seems like it would be on the low on of the attrition spectrum to me. So I don't see how that losing 6 guys would move us down 35 spots.  It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

And it was on Facebook.  That tells me all I need to know.

Because 3 of those departures were out of our top 6 commits, and it really wasn't a class with a lot of highly rated talent. Dropping 495 "points" isn't a ton, but it is when you only had ~1600 to begin with.

Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but it does give us a ballpark of how much of the highly rated talent has been walking out the door. I think it's more helpful than looking just at the number of departures.

• Plus1 2

Yeah, it does not take into attrition of the other teams.

I can go to Rivals and look at the final recruiting team rankings.  For 2015 it has us at 1595 points.  It has the #65 team at 1102 points.  The chart slots us at #66 after attrition.  Therefore it is not counting attrition for the other teams.

Whoever put this together is painting a 1 sided picture.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2015/all-teams/football

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

So if any other coach not named Frost was running the show, you'd pull the plug?

Yet another head coaching search?

I'm glad that those actually running the show.......Moos for example......know that we have a talent issue.

No.  I am all N on Frost.  Just saying that because it is Frost, he will get more time than say a guy named Riley (I hated the hire when I had to google who he was)....

A rotating coaching carousel has gotten us into this mess.  I still don't think Solich should've been fired.....Gotta give him (Frost) time for several reasons.  See if he can right the ship (If he can't, I am unsure anyone can), give a guy 4 years to have his guys top to bottom, as well as show the football world, we can make coaching decisions based on a longer body of work as opposed to a knee jerk reaction....

I think any coach deserves time to get the ship turned around.  Riley was the wrong hire from the jump.  Had Cally brought another DC in  he might have worked out.  

IMHO, Frost and staff are in another realm of coaching in the B1G than in the AAC.  Yes, they beat Auburn, but can the staff coach week in and week out against better talent (athletes and staff).  For me, the jury is out, but it looks like they are struggling.  Even with attrition factored in, our talent on paper is substantially better.  I am tired, and have been for years, of getting beat by teams who "do less with more".