Husker Football 2020

Redux

1 minute ago, Atbone95 said:

I honestly think if you give this team some confidence, even "fake" "lucky" confidence, that will go a long way to the result we want. This team needs to feel what it's like to win a few games in a row. 

Fun fact: we have yet to win more than 2 games in a row under HCSF. I'll take 6-0 against the s#!ttiest teams, idc. Let this team get a feel for what winning should feel like. 

Thats a great point. If we could somehow get on a roll, who knows where that energy could take us.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The players kept talking preseason about how they are 4-8 until proven otherwise so I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

I know what they said, and maybe even what they believed, but every year it's the exact same story and there's always these inexplicable performances and players come out admitting they didn't take X seriously or something. The evidence is in the results and it's in the post game comments against 'inferior' opponents. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

I honestly think if you give this team some confidence, even "fake" "lucky" confidence, that will go a long way to the result we want. This team needs to feel what it's like to win a few games in a row. 

Fun fact: we have yet to win more than 2 games in a row under HCSF. I'll take 6-0 against the s#!ttiest teams, idc. Let this team get a feel for what winning should feel like. 

A few weeks ago, someone I follow on twitter was saying how they wished Rondale Moore would be healthy for our game so that we could “beat them at their best.” :lol: Like, I’m not glad Moore was injured, that sucks for them and hopefully he gets healthy. But we don’t need any of that right now, just take any win we can get.

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I know what they said, and maybe even what they believed, but every year it's the exact same story and there's always these inexplicable performances and players come out admitting they didn't take X seriously or something. The evidence is in the results and it's in the post game comments against 'inferior' opponents. 

Ahhh, you mean like the "we're 4-8 until proven otherwise" immediately followed by "no one is going to care about this game (Colorado) when we're in Indianapolis"

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Oh no, I read it. It was just difficult to read the the whole thing with blurry vision from laughing and crying so hard after I saw, "I'm so incredibly fearful that next year will be like Mike Riley's 2nd season. We start hot and get to 7-0 only to get slammed back to reality." 

I mean, I wish that was my only fear for next year's team. Going 7-0 to begin the season. Hell, even getting 7 wins total. I think of all the things to be fearful of, going 7-0 to start the season, and then getting "slammed back to reality" is probably one of the last things on my list. 

So, you're just going to focus on that then.  Got it.  Carry on.

This could get ugly if we don't clean stuff up. I really want to be wrong about this:

Purdue- L Scott Frost is 50/50 in season openers and Nebraska has been 1-3 against Purdue in the last couple years. Purdue has had a lot of injuries this year, I think they bounce back next year and start off with a win

Central Michigan Chippewas – W Nebraska takes care of business.  Though we have lost this game before.

South Dakota State – W Nebraska feeling the heat of the state pulls together a win here at home, but it isn’t easy.  This is the team that should have beat Minnesota this year.

Cincinnati- L Cinci is a top 25 team at the moment and has and will take care of lesser P5 opponents.  Nebraska under Frost has yet to beat a top 25 team, I think that continues here

Northwestern – L It will be close, we know that for sure.  SF is 1/8 in away games I think Pat Fiz has a bounce back year and we fall short

Illinois – W Illinois playing well now and we should have lost to them this year, but I think at home we pull it out.

Rutgers – W Nothing says we’ll lose this game

Ohio State – L Lost to them consistently for almost a decade

Penn State- L they’ve looked like a much better team than us for half a decade

Iowa – L Lost to them consistently 4 in a row potentially soon to be 5

Wisconsin – L Lost to them consistently for almost a decade

Minnesota – W we trade blowout wins with them. I think they don’t need the win and don’t take us seriously, and we walk out with a W. Would a 10 point+ loss shock us though?

• Plus1 1

So we've reached this point in the season, huh? Predicting wins and losses at this point is absurd. Injuries, departures, freshmen/transfers are impossible to account for at this point. None of these teams (including us) will be the same next year, so we're just randomly guessing. Outside of Ohio State, they will probably crush us no matter what.

One example, Iowa - they're better than us right now, but they're still a bad offense. They will lose their 3 year starter QB and a handful of other starters.They could also lose 2 first round OTs, their first round DE, and their best DB - in that case the team is gutted and I think we should win. If all of those juniors stay, it's a different story. Although I still expect their offense to regress even further without Stanley, and they're already very bad.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Question: When did OSU become our crossover rival??  Yes we should man up and be able to play wt the big boys - that is our goal.  But it seems a bit like piling on by the Big 10 just to get rankings by pitting 2 traditional powers against each other practically every year. We aren't fulfilling our half of the deal in making this a big time game. 

I still think 2022 is the year it comes together for us.  ........ I hope

21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Question: When did OSU become our crossover rival??  Yes we should man up and be able to play wt the big boys - that is our goal.  But it seems a bit like piling on by the Big 10 just to get rankings by pitting 2 traditional powers against each other practically every year. We aren't fulfilling our half of the deal in making this a big time game. 

I still think 2022 is the year it comes together for us.  ........ I hope

No disrespect to Indiana of course..... 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Redux said:

DrznPlG.jpg

I'm seeing a 5-1 start because 6-0 seems impossible, followed by a 1-5 finish.  We limp up some polls and immediately fall back into obscurity on Halloween.

Unless, you know our QB starts not sucking and the Defense all gets bit by radioactive spiders.

Based even remotely on what this team has done these last two seasons, I’m thinking we’ll be lucky to start 5-2 with 4-3 very likely. That back end looks to be 1-4 or 0-5. Absolute best case we start 6-1 and end up 7-5 but more than likely once again on the wrong side of the bubble of bowl eligibility at 6-6 or 5-7 or our trademark 4-8.

It’s gonna take copious amounts of off season Kool-Aid to get me thinking things could possibly be better than that. Problem is I don’t believe any amount of sunshine pumping can begin to affect me ever again. Its been proven that the BS that comes out of practices and the off season is basically lies.  It’s pretty simple, I’ll believe we suck until we actually don’t suck.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Based even remotely on what this team has done these last two seasons, I’m thinking we’ll be lucky to start 5-2 with 4-3 very likely. That back end looks to be 1-4 or 0-5. Absolute best case we start 6-1 and end up 7-5 but more than likely once again on the wrong side of the bubble of bowl eligibility at 6-6 or 5-7 or our trademark 4-8.

It’s gonna take copious amounts of off season Kool-Aid to get me thinking things could possibly be better than that. Problem is I don’t believe any amount of sunshine pumping can begin to affect me ever again. Its been proven that the BS that comes out of practices and the off season is basically lies.  It’s pretty simple, I’ll believe we suck until we actually don’t suck.

Not to pick on you specifically because a lot of people are throwing out projections, but we have no idea what most of these teams will look like next year. You might not be able to name a player from this year's Iowa team that will still be there next year. As bad as we are this year, we beat NW and Illinois - do we think they will definitely improve more than us? What if Fickell leaves Cincy, does that change your perception of that game? Wisconsin will lose their top 2 LBs (Baun and Orr), Jonathan Taylor, and probably a couple lineman. Quite possibly they reload, who knows. We have no idea at this point.

Also, (not that I believe this), but say we turn a corner and take Wisconsin down to the wire, smash Maryland, and beat Iowa by 2 touchdowns. How much would that change your assessment?

• Haha 1