Husker Football 2020

Redux

Hmmmm.... let's see, Purdue is 2-0 against Frost. And they'll be healthy this time around. Loss

Central Michigan beat Northern Illinois by a similar score that we beat Northern Illinois... Loss

South Dakota State is a very good team year to year and put up a fight against Bo's Huskers.... Loss

Cincinnati is nationally ranked and 7-1 at this point..... Loss

Northwestern ... well, here is a team we beat this year, albeit close... maybe a win... BUT NO... Loss

Illinois ... Is very bad. We beat them this year. Maybe we get a win. Hell, why not... WIN

Rutgers... TERRIBLE. They suck so so so so bad. WIN

The rest.... I will say that Minnesota won't be nearly as good next year. That saves us from an 0-5 finish. Yep. 1-4

I will say two wins in the first seven games... 2-5

Then the 1-4

3-12... wait, bad math

3-9

But it will feel like 3-33

And if this nightmare plays out... Scott is GONE. Sorry, you can't be this freaking bad. Nobody can.

Tom Osborne said he fired Bill Callahan because he was holding him to a standard that he felt would apply to him.

During that presser, he said Bill would have likely been out the door if he had a 6-6 season because, "We don't have too many break even seasons around here."

Wow.... hard to believe how far this thing has fallen.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Not to pick on you specifically because a lot of people are throwing out projections, but we have no idea what most of these teams will look like next year. You might not be able to name a player from this year's Iowa team that will still be there next year. As bad as we are this year, we beat NW and Illinois - do we think they will definitely improve more than us? What if Fickell leaves Cincy, does that change your perception of that game? Wisconsin will lose their top 2 LBs (Baun and Orr), Jonathan Taylor, and probably a couple lineman. Quite possibly they reload, who knows. We have no idea at this point.

Also, (not that I believe this), but say we turn a corner and take Wisconsin down to the wire, smash Maryland, and beat Iowa by 2 touchdowns. How much would that change your assessment?

No problem. I understand your points but I’m done believing any aspect of this team will improve until I see the actual improvement...on the field....in an actual game that counts. My predictions really have very little to do with whatever our opponents may put on the field. We’ve proven time and time again that we are more than capable of beating ourselves against lesser opponents and how good the other team is really has no bearing on our winning or losing. I mean we just lost back to back games against Indiana and Purdue so the opponent being bad or down or losing some key players doesn’t seem to be very pertinent. We’ll beat other teams when we’re capable of beating other teams. “Until we can’t be beat, won’t be beat” Until then I’m going to expect we’re the same team we’ve been for 18 years and that we’ll keep inventing ways to defeat ourselves.

As far as your hypothetical, that we magically transform mid/late season into a team we have shown absolutely no signs of becoming......makes it pretty tough to entertain that remote possibility.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Also, (not that I believe this), but say we turn a corner and take Wisconsin down to the wire, smash Maryland, and beat Iowa by 2 touchdowns. How much would that change your assessment?

Yeah no one is going to worry about things that are not going to happen.   We will finish likely 0-3 down the stretch with best case 1-2 against Maryland.  Iowa and Wisconsin will give us our annual curb stomping and we will all look forward to 2020 only to repeat this process again.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

As far as your hypothetical, that we magically transform mid/late season into a team we have shown absolutely no signs of becoming......makes it pretty tough to entertain that remote possibility.

5 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

Yeah no one is going to worry about things that are not going to happen.   We will finish likely 0-3 down the stretch with best case 1-2 against Maryland.  Iowa and Wisconsin will give us our annual curb stomping and we will all look forward to 2020 only to repeat this process again.

See fair enough, I shouldn't have even thrown that in. This year, there's plenty of data to guess at what's going to happen. I just have a problem projecting next year in the same way.

At this point I would take the paper 7-0 start like we had under Riley and some of Pelini's years. Where we won the games we were supposed to, but got pounded by any team with a pulse. So 7-0 falsified start to the season would be awesome, even though Ohio State may show up and beat us 62-7.

But looking at that schedule I see 5 wins we should be looking for. Maybe we can beat Purdue giving us 6 wins. Cincy will be tough, don't like our chances in that one.

• Plus1 1

Frost isn't getting fired. Even though I have faith Frost starts getting this thing turned around and we wont have those nightmarish seasons we think could happen, he signed a 7 year contract and I think even if we stay rutted with at best mediocrity he gets those 7 years. Which is the way it should be, if Frost can't turn this thing around, no one will be able to and I firmly believe that. 

Even though this is such a frustrating season, we have a Nebraskan at the helm, a former player at the helm and a true Cornhusker at the helm. We as fans can type out our talk about our frustrations and disappointment, but it is reassuring to know no matter how frustrated we are and how upset we may become, we have a head coach who this means more to than any of us fans. Whatever frustrations we feel as fans, Frost is feeling those 100x more. It isn't just coach speak for him, this isn't just some outsider coach who is getting paid handsomely and giving us "coach" talk to extend his time at UNL. This actually means something to Frost, certainly more than any other coach in the country that would be at Nebraska.

Tough times, no doubt, but for all the talking of breaking "curses" around Nebraska football, maybe to break the curse is truly being patient this time. Yes we've been told to be patient for the last 18 years, and we are all sick and tired of being told to be patient because it has never panned out with positive results, we keep waiting. But Nebraska football/administration hasn't really been patient themselves.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1