Tangent Thread - Walk-Ons Addition

44 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

247 mod said walk-on as well. It's a solid addition. We'll have a super star wide receiver room with Kade and this kid out there running the walk-on show.. 

In all honesty though, walk-ons seem like they are getting a mixed reaction from fans at this point. There's the crowd that thinks you can't build a contender if walk-ons are getting in the mix and the crowd that thinks you can find 1-2 diamonds in the rough and fill them into your depth chart when misses happen with scholarship players and contend.

I'm in the 2nd group. There are a lot of teams I think that would love to have a guy like Kade Warner in the rotation for receiver. If nothing else, this kid helps because he can give a look in practice and give a good representation of speed we'll see in games. Welcome aboard kid!

Which is amazing considering how many walk ons have made huge contributions for past teams and gone on to the pros. Spencer Long, Andy Janovich, Brandon Reilly.... people seriously don't want these guys? They're insane...

• Plus1 1

The thing is its a no risk situation. This kid is a great athlete, why not take a flyer? He is probably being told hey, we have alot of opportunity at reciever right now, work your butt off and you could maybe earn a scholarship. That motivation is huge and it will be great for the scholarship guys to have an athletic and hungry reciever looking to take their spot on the depth chart. Great for competetion even if he doesn't see the field. No risk, high reward. Whats not to love?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The thing is its a no risk situation. This kid is a great athlete, why not take a flyer? He is probably being told hey, we have alot of opportunity at reciever right now, work your butt off and you could maybe earn a scholarship. That motivation is huge and it will be great for the scholarship guys to have an athletic and hungry reciever looking to take their spot on the depth chart. Great for competetion even if he doesn't see the field. No risk, high reward. Whats not to love?

I think most people are openly accepting and happy for walk ons. I think at this point of our program (We Suck). Most are wanting to see instant impact recruits to get to where we want to be, so no one is concerned about walk ons yet. Then once we have a good program with good players- I think you will see more excitement over walk ons. 

Just my perception.

18 hours ago, Decked said:

I hope this one is a walk-on offer 

LOL, nice dude. Is it because this kid does not have stars next to his name that you state "I hope this one is a walk-om offer"?

Tyjon Lindsay had 5 stars and we all witnessed how the stars next to a kid's name cultivated a mindset of entitlement and zero work ethic. I hope this kid comes in and busts his butt off and earns a starting spot. I actually will go on record and make statement that this kid will have a bigger impact on this program than Tyjon Lindsay, Jayvon Mcquity, Keshawn Johnson Jr., etc...

Kids like this are the foundation of the culture Frost is building, not those entitled star studded brats.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, milehighbob said:

LOL, nice dude. Is it because this kid does not have stars next to his name that you state "I hope this one is a walk-om offer"?

Tyjon Lindsay had 5 stars and we all witnessed how the stars next to a kid's name cultivated a mindset of entitlement and zero work ethic. I hope this kid comes in and busts his butt off and earns a starting spot. I actually will go on record and make statement that this kid will have a bigger impact on this program than Tyjon Lindsay, Jayvon Mcquity, Keshawn Johnson Jr., etc...

Kids like this are the foundation of the culture Frost is building, not those entitled star studded brats.

Or it could be because he doesn't even have offers anywhere else? Just saying. And nice cherry picking of receivers - Lindsay was a 4 star. So was Wan'Dale. 4 stars are not guaranteed to be successful, but they do have a measurably higher success rate than unranked kids.

I hope this kid does well, could be underrated because he's a small town track kid. But there are reasons fans would be concerned offering a full football scholly here.

12 minutes ago, milehighbob said:

Bold statement considering 2 of those guys aren't even on the team.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Bold statement considering 2 of those guys aren't even on the team.

Not too sure I follow you? You are proving my point homie. Two of those guys were highly touted and highly ranked recruits who had virtually no contribution to this, or any program for that matter. What is so wrong about defending a kid who may, or may not, display a tremendous work ethic and make an impact on this program?

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, milehighbob said:

Not too sure I follow you? You are proving my point homie. Two of those guys were highly touted and highly ranked recruits who had virtually no contribution to this, or any program for that matter. What is so wrong about defending a kid who may, or may not, display a tremendous work ethic and make an impact on this program?

Your point didn't need to be proven since no one is attacking him. If he attends a single fall practice he's made a bigger impact that johnson. It doesn't make you the nostradamus of recruiting.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

Your point didn't need to be proven since no one is attacking him. If he attends a single fall practice he's made a bigger impact that johnson. It doesn't make you the nostradamus of recruiting .

It is empirical evidence that stars next to a kid's name is not dispositive that the kid will or will not successful. 

• Haha 2

Look at schools like:

Michigan State;

Kansas State in the late 90s;

Wisconsin.

These schools historically do not recruit highly ranked kids, yet they somehow are able to be successful and win a lot of games. It is my belief that not only do these programs have a great culture in place, they are able to target kids they know will fit into their systems and develop into contributors. Heck, I think the biggest thing that would make Nebraska successful would be to have a niche system in place once again, like the I formation option attack, and develop talent to master the system.

Most teams run a spread attack. That means that day in and day out, these teams see this type of offense in practice. Places like Ohio State are always going to out recruit Nebraska. I just do not see how running the same system against a team with superior talent is the answer.