Tangent Thread - Walk-Ons Addition

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Check out the last 10 teams to win a natty. I think they all are filled with nothing but 4 and 5 star kids 

Hunter Renfrow was a little important on a couple of those teams and he was a walk-on with his best offer out of HS being Appalachian State. 

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Hunter Renfrow was a little important on a couple of those teams and he was a walk-on with his best offer out of HS being Appalachian State. 

How many other walk ons started at clemson? Nobody is saying walkons are bad or a very small percentage of them can develop into players that can make a difference. 

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

How many other walk ons started at clemson? Nobody is saying walkons are bad or a very small percentage of them can develop into players that can make a difference. 

I was responding to a comment that said there was "nothing but 4 and 5 star" kids on the championship teams. We are also discussing the merits of walk ons and I was pointing out that Clemson had a walk on turn into a major contributor. I wasn't contending we need lots of walk ons starting. 

• Plus1 1

Tbh right now NU needs both - they need to bust their butts recruiting the absolute best talent we can attract to campus (and hopefully have them not bust) AND need hard-working, determined walk ons that can bubble up and crack the starting lineup to make a difference. We simply don't have the recruiting advantages to pass on the latter.

That said, welcome aboard Matt!

• Plus1 1

I never paid too much attention to recruiting service rankings. But I now think there is something to it. Wisconsin’s three-star players were no match against OSU’s four and fives. Those big-time Badger running backs can’t do anything against that talented OSU DL. I said I trust Frost in his recruiting evaluations. We may not need to achieve top-five recruiting classes to succeed at the highest level. But I’m thinking average classes within the top 15. Can we achieve that? Time will tell. 

• Fire 2
6 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I never paid too much attention to recruiting service rankings. But I now think there is something to it. Wisconsin’s three-star players were no match against OSU’s four and fives. Those big-time Badger running backs can’t do anything against that talented OSU DL. I said I trust Frost in his recruiting evaluations. We may not need to achieve top-five recruiting classes to succeed at the highest level. But I’m thinking average classes within the top 15. Can we achieve that? Time will tell. 

Couldn’t agree more. I would venture to say we had tons of 4 and 5 star talent in the 90s. They just didn’t have the ratings like we did today. Does anyone think Frazier, Ahman, philips, wistrom and the other like 40 players off the 95 team who got drafted were 3 star players? No

This discussion is frustrating.  

Yes, there are fans who every time there's a walk-on that starts, they rant and rave about how bad things must be if a "walk-on is starting". Like, it's some disgusting situation and complete failure of the program.  I remember having discussions on here when Spencer Long was starting with people claiming we suck because we have walk-ons starting on the O line.  Well.....really?  Our O line might not have been great, but he was the best O lineman probably on that line.  The issue wasn't him.

The issue is that the walk-on program is a great way for us to cycle through a lot of kids that previously wouldn't have a chance to play at UNL.  Every once in a while, they find a diamond in the rough that contributes and some even play professionally.  What is wrong with this?  Why do people get upset about it?

Now, going to the other extreme, if you have nothing but walk-ons, you aren't going to have a very good team because the averages aren't there that enough of them are going to be good players.  

This entire walk-on discussion gets old.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Snowbird said:

They had 4 walk ons who started on the 95 team? Yes they were 4 and 5 stars! Lol

Your missing the point. Yes we all know we have had walk ons contribute in our history. Your not alone in knowing that. The point is the majority of the team was made up of what you would call 4 and 5 star talent. 

The question is- can Frost get us back to recruiting at that level. Top 10-15 level. With walk on contributors to fill in the gaps of the high rated guys who bust or get beat out.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Your missing the point. Yes we all know we have had walk ons contribute in our history. Your not alone in knowing that. The point is the majority of the team was made up of what you would call 4 and 5 star talent. 

The question is- can Frost get us back to recruiting at that level. Top 10-15 level. With walk on contributors to fill in the gaps of the high rated guys who bust or get beat out.

Yes, just because we have a good/productive walk-on program that contributes a player or two a year to the team, doesn't mean recruiting 4* and 5* players becomes less important.

We need both.

Back to this kid.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Chances are he won't become a great WR for us.  Just because you have speed doesn't mean you're a football player.  BUT...if he can develop.....oooo....that could be fun.