JUCO DE Junior Aho [SMU- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

18 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Aho commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

He will be a OLB (RE-OLB) IMO and to me is very similar to Garrett Nelson.    Reported as running in the low 4.6 range which I would assume is hand-timed so runs a 4.8 electronic.   I do not see him as a 3-4 DE but I suppose they might have him do that in third and forever?   He can put his hand down as a 4-3 RE for sure if they want him to play that technique.  Don't we do that on occassion?  We need OLB's that are physically ready to play so okay with this pickup.

I like the fact that he is a former soccer/boxer/mixed martial arts guy.    Soccer players learn how to take good angles.   They are always running so they understand conditioning and they have good feet.  Boxing is a good indicator that the guy is not afraid to hit and take a blow.   Mixed martial arts is the same plus it adds the wrestling aspect where leverage concepts come into play as well as shooting for legs which translates to a quick first step in football.     

From Hudl clips it doesn't look like he has the snap to whistle motor that Nelson has.  I take the physique comments with a grain of salt.  Could be one of the many Tarzan's in the locker room, but Jane's on the field.  His Hudl film simply isn't that impressive.  Hodges look more impressive.  True, some of that is due to playing out of different positions, but I like seeing LBs who can close the gap quickly and lay out licks.  That add's up to TFLs.  Like I said before, could be a diamond in the rough.  Certainly hope he proves me wrong.

• Plus1 1

He definitely seems to have the raw tools to be a good pass rusher, at least, and we need that. You almost wonder if he'd be better of staying as a 4-3 DE, though. Since he's a 4-for-3 guy, I assume we'll redshirt him so that he can learn LB duties?

Not an exciting recruit, but an interesting one, at least.

1 hour ago, WVhuskerXX said:

I believe you have that confused with Hodge. Everything I have read on Aho says he will be here in the summer.

No, just going by what Callahan said on Big Red Wrap up. He was saying how crazy it was that Nebraska was getting 2 jucos , both 4 to play 3, and both early enrollees.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, suh_fan93 said:

He looked like he had pretty good coverage skills for a 255 lb linebacker and the fact that he's into judo and karate is definitely intriguing.  As far as knowing how to use his hands which one would think would apply to football also when it comes to disengaging blocks, swim moves/technique etc.  

That's actually what stood out to me. As a martial artist you would assume he is good with his hands, and to me it shows up in his ability to shed blocks. He has pretty good upfield speed as well.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to JUCO DE Junior Aho
  • Mavric unpinned this topic