Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GSG

The Athletic: Q&A with Tommie Frazier

Recommended Posts

Q&A with Nebraska great Tommie Frazier: On Scott Frost, college sports today and his decision to speak out

 

Some of you won't be able to read this ($$) but it's a pretty good interview with Tommie. He thinks Martinez is pressing, but he's also not getting any help from the O-line, receivers, etc. He thinks HCSF needs to be his own HC and not try to be Tom Osborne. He also thinks college athletes are spoiled and it makes them soft.

 

And a last tidbit for @teachercd: Willie Taggart was Frazier's backup in high school and Sherman asked him about Taggart getting fired:

 

Quote

I think that sets a bad precedent for coaching, to hire someone and give him less than two years to put his culture there. Florida State is going to get what Florida State deserves. It goes to show you who truly runs college sports. Who runs college sports? Is it the presidents and the ADs or the boosters? We talked about two weeks ago. I know Willie’s upset. But he’s going to find another coaching job. And he’s leaving with $17 million. Who can be upset with that? 

 

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about that the other day.  While it's obvious that a lot of what SF learned from TO is a part of his coaching style now who's to say just how much of his current coaching style is actually SF's own?  I do totally agree that you have to be your own coach as well.  I don't think TO's influence is a bad thing by any stretch either.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I was thinking about that the other day.  While it's obvious that a lot of what SF learned from TO is a part of his coaching style now who's to say just how much of his current coaching style is actually SF's own?  I do totally agree that you have to be your own coach as well.  I don't think TO's influence is a bad thing by any stretch either.

 

I don't know about coaching style specifically, but Frost is definitely angrier than TO in pressers. Although he has more reason to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easy for Tommie to say that Frost should be his own head coach and not try to fit Osborne's mold. He could very easily be right that such an angle would be best for the play of the team.

 

But that isn't all of it. A huge part of it is the pressure from the fan base. Take the posts on this site as a cross-section of the sentiment of Husker Nation; I'd say it's pretty clear that a big chunk of the fan base wants Frost to be Osborne. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

It's easy for Tommie to say that Frost should be his own head coach and not try to fit Osborne's mold. He could very easily be right that such an angle would be best for the play of the team.

 

But that isn't all of it. A huge part of it is the pressure from the fan base. Take the posts on this site as a cross-section of the sentiment of Husker Nation; I'd say it's pretty clear that a big chunk of the fan base wants Frost to be Osborne. 

I agree and will add that they want the wins that came with Dr. Tom.  What they're forgetting is how long it took to get over the hump.  The last three seasons have been uncharacteristically bad, and while I don't know if Osborne had season like the last three, he certainly had his struggles.  I think people are having a really hard time with the fact that Nebraska for the past 7-8 seasons hasn't been a destination for players to move on to the next level and that it is going to take longer than they expected for Frost to get back to national prominence.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't know.  I don't want SF to be 'just like' Osborne.   That thought or feeling has never crossed my mind.

 

Yeah, and I don't either. It doesn't really matter either way, I just want to get back to winning...I don't really care how we do it, what offensive scheme we play in, or whether Frost answers media questions in the same vein of Osborne.

 

I do think that Frost being a conduit to Osborne is fairly important, though. For example, Callahan didn't give a crap about Osborne's legacy and Bo seemed visibly intimidated by Osborne's presence in the program because of it, and neither of those things played well with the fan base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GSG said:

Q&A with Nebraska great Tommie Frazier: On Scott Frost, college sports today and his decision to speak out

 

Some of you won't be able to read this ($$) but it's a pretty good interview with Tommie. He thinks Martinez is pressing, but he's also not getting any help from the O-line, receivers, etc. He thinks HCSF needs to be his own HC and not try to be Tom Osborne. He also thinks college athletes are spoiled and it makes them soft.

 

And a last tidbit for @teachercd: Willie Taggart was Frazier's backup in high school and Sherman asked him about Taggart getting fired:

 

 

He's not wrong.  We felt the "strain" because of boosters at UNL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boosters have always worked for the team's best interests....they got us Eichorst, Riley and the Big Ten didn't they? Actually they got us a Green Bay linebacker coach as well to help hapless Frank shore up his sinking ship. They also got us a Nebraska guy to turn things around named Steve Pederson. 
Let's let Frost get some P5 players and see what he can do.....enough of this Mayberry stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...