Fan Buy In

On 11/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, Cdog923 said:

Here's where I'm at: I'm excited for Nebrasketball at this point. 

Post of the year comedically.  You will be even more depressed very soon.  They have lost at HOME to UC-something, and to Southern Utah....never even heard of southern utah university until yesterday.  They may be the worst Nebrasketball team of all time, and thats hard to do.  

More than likely their will be sunny days ahead, but lets stop denying the fact that this will probably end up being possibly the darkest, coldest, saddest, winters in Nebraska Mens sports history.  Football is at an all-time low point coming off of back to back 4-8 seasons, staring down the barrel of another, and basketball has started off 0-2 against 2 of the worst teams in the country...at home....Baseball might be in for a rough year or 4 also.  I like our coaches, but man have Fred and Scott been underwhelming thus far.

Completely checked out, Husker Volleyball from here on out.  I sold my tix to both IA and WI back in September when the Kool Aid drunk was running wild knowing all well I'd be deer hunting for the WI game and with family for the IA game.  Until the hype build up before the spring game.....c ya

• Plus1 1
On 11/10/2019 at 7:21 PM, April Wine said:

I'm not buying in as a fan.............sue me.....we suck, I hate frosts offense, no defense, no special teams.........im not buying in till he proves something.................there I said it

There is a ton of fans who share your same thoughts. Apathy is truly setting in. I think it is particular bad this season because fans bought into the national media hype and that has blown up in our face like a short wicked m-80. Most fans have a want it now approach to football and in our case, that wasn't going to happen.

However, for those who pay more attention, like those on this board we definitely expected some improvement, especially with what we had returning and with how our schedule set up( I preached 8-4 was the floor during the offseason) Instead we look worse than last year, we have 3 games left in which two of them are against teams who have back alley jumped us for years in a row, we are going to miss out on a bowl game again, and we don't have a positive outlook for a 2020 season in which the schedule is significantly harder than this years. So now instead of fans saying " well next year we should be better" that narrative changes to "who the hell knows." 

Recruiting has also fallen on very hard times as can be seen by the bottom of the barrel offers this staff is making to JUCO guys who's best offers are Illinois or UMASS. We offered a guy who has only played 6 freaking games of JUCO. Add that to the fact that the guys we have brought in aren't playing because the staff wants to stockpile talent for next year, which is fine in theory, however how many games has that cost us? If Johnson is this good why is Mazour and Belt getting carries over him? If Hickman has been our best perimeter blocker, which is VERY important for this offense to function, why has he not been playing all year? This adds to the frustration of fans as this staff has preached No Fear of Failure and the best guys are the ones who will play, but they have shown all year that those are just words and not what they actual practice. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

There is a ton of fans who share your same thoughts. Apathy is truly setting in. I think it is particular bad this season because fans bought into the national media hype and that has blown up in our face like a short wicked m-80. Most fans have a want it now approach to football and in our case, that wasn't going to happen.

However, for those who pay more attention, like those on this board we definitely expected some improvement, especially with what we had returning and with how our schedule set up( I preached 8-4 was the floor during the offseason) Instead we look worse than last year, we have 3 games left in which two of them are against teams who have back alley jumped us for years in a row, we are going to miss out on a bowl game again, and we don't have a positive outlook for a 2020 season in which the schedule is significantly harder than this years. So now instead of fans saying " well next year we should be better" that narrative changes to "who the hell knows." 

Recruiting has also fallen on very hard times as can be seen by the bottom of the barrel offers this staff is making to JUCO guys who's best offers are Illinois or UMASS. We offered a guy who has only played 6 freaking games of JUCO. Add that to the fact that the guys we have brought in aren't playing because the staff wants to stockpile talent for next year, which is fine in theory, however how many games has that cost us? If Johnson is this good why is Mazour and Belt getting carries over him? If Hickman has been our best perimeter blocker, which is VERY important for this offense to function, why has he not been playing all year? This adds to the frustration of fans as this staff has preached No Fear of Failure and the best guys are the ones who will play, but they have shown all year that those are just words and not what they actual practice. 

Regarding the bolded, I don't have anything to back this up but my thought is that it's just not quite enough to make that much of a difference.  Still too many missing pieces.  MAYBE we win one more game kinda thing, or we're still sitting in the same scenario and have wasted redshirts.  The risk isn't worth the reward.  Or they just weren't quite physically and mentally ready until now - 3 months can actually make a pretty big difference physically and probably mentally as well. 

If not...

*cries*

12 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Regarding the bolded, I don't have anything to back this up but my thought is that it's just not quite enough to make that much of a difference.  Still too many missing pieces.  MAYBE we win one more game kinda thing, or we're still sitting in the same scenario and have wasted redshirts.  The risk isn't worth the reward.  Or they just weren't quite physically and mentally ready until now - 3 months can actually make a pretty big difference physically and probably mentally as well. 

If not...

*cries*

Frost said yesterday that Hickman was their best perimeter blocker. So why has the corpse of Noa and Williams been trotted out there every game. There are probably so many big plays negated by those two this year that I guarantee we win one or two games because of that. Think of how many times Wan'dale or Mo was crushed behind the line because of missed blocks by a WR. Don't get me started on Rhamir. Frost and Held have been so full of s#!t when it comes to playing him.

The Davis twins have regressed and are now personal foul prone each game because of it. Thomas, Green, Robinson, or Rogers are not good enough to at least play a down when those two are obviously winded from being driven back 5 plus yards a snap?

NPG was also talked about all summer, as well as Myles Farmer and Javin Wright on how athletic and quick they were at picking up the playbook and how NPG ,in particular was one of the hardest hitters. So now when the season actually happens we can't use them to at least try and stop the run because our LB's run like they are wearing roller blades out there? Again, the staff's words being meaningless.

• Plus1 1

Ziebol: “Apathy is truly setting in. I think it is particular bad this season because fans bought into the national media hype and that has blown up in our face like a short wicked m-80. Most fans have a want it now approach to football and in our case, that wasn't going to happen.”

Football fans in general follow a similar pattern anywhere you look as is this year with Husker Nation.

There is a good percentage of fans that just want to see wins - period. They want that quick feeling of a jolt or rush of success. So the tendency is there to bail out quickly when the wins aren’t there.

There’s another percentage of fans that has a bit more patience, but not unlimited. They are willing to take a few disappointments and wait longer for signs of success. If the success shows up, they can say they hung in there when others didn’t.

And there’s the last good percentage of fans who will stay with the team no matter what. They love football - at least that team - and will put up with whatever happens good or bad all the way.    

There is no right or wrong way here. Fans aren’t getting paid to do this. Fans dedicate as much time and energy as they choose to. It is the responsibility of the team - any team that wants to attract fans - to provide something worth looking at. Fans are trading their time, energy, money, and attention in trade for something that gives them whatever it is they’ve looking for.

Apathy is still a pretty new thing  to Husker fans. Husker fans for 50 years have known almost nothing but all-out fervor for the Red.

Sometimes what you get is a product worthy of a high-end department store. Sometimes what you get is more like a dollar store. Customer is always right and can shop where they want.

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

Frost said yesterday that Hickman was their best perimeter blocker. So why has the corpse of Noa and Williams been trotted out there every game. There are probably so many big plays negated by those two this year that I guarantee we win one or two games because of that. Think of how many times Wan'dale or Mo was crushed behind the line because of missed blocks by WR. Don't get me started on Rhamir. Frost and Held have been so full of s#!t when it comes to playing him.

Yea I know and you may very well be right I'm just hoping what I said in that they think that one guy (Hickman) isn't enough to make that difference.  What puzzles me most about Rhamir is him getting like one snap in a game.  That's just stupid.  Either play him or don't.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Yea I know and you may very well be right I'm just hoping what I said in that they think that one guy (Hickman) isn't enough to make that difference.  What puzzles me most about Rhamir is him getting like one snap in a game.  That's just stupid.  Either play him or don't.

Agreed. At this point it's just bad roster management no matter how you cut it. Rhamir's games have been complete wastes and now you are getting into the final 3 games of the season where fresh legs could make a difference but now you can't even use them so instead we will see Wan'dale get demolished time and time again running between the tackles.  

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Does anyone know who actually makes the call on which players go in? The fact that Frost didn't seem to realize Rahmir had been used against Purdue makes me think ti's the individual position coaches. That's the only one that actually makes me mad, the others I'm willing to believe they haven't been ready.

I would assume a head coach getting paid as much as he is would have the mental fortitude to count to 4. However, I have been wrong a lot this season.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I would assume a head coach getting paid as much as he is would have the mental fortitude to count to 4. However, I have been wrong a lot this season.

I also assume he knows how to count, but when the RB comes out for a single play I don't know that they run and ask him who should go in. And when the playcall doesn't involve the RB, I don't think it's crazy he wouldn't have noticed Rahmir being out there for a play. But Frost either forgot or didn't realize Rahmir had been in one of the games, so I'm assuming Held told him to run out there - just curious if that's actually the case.

I still care and I'm still going to watch every game, every play.

But two things happened this year: my old college roommates and I used to email each other after every game and through a lot of the off-season to talk Husker football. After this year's Colorado game, we just stopped. No explanation. 

Then there's all those friends who aren't Husker fans who know I'm a Husker fan. For years and years and years, they would razz me whenever the Huskers lost. Now they don't say anything. 

It's kinda weird. 

But I think we'll be better next year, because that's what I always think. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I still care and I'm still going to watch every game, every play.

I'm there too.

I'm very happy about the personnel Frost is bringing in, especially on the OL.  It's exciting.

Speed bump seasons like this one will soon be further in the rear view mirror.  I'm a believer that college football success has a lot to do with the Jimmy's and Joe's.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Does anyone know who actually makes the call on which players go in? The fact that Frost didn't seem to realize Rahmir had been used against Purdue makes me think ti's the individual position coaches. That's the only one that actually makes me mad, the others I'm willing to believe they haven't been ready.

The position coach is the guy who worries about putting in players.  But, if a player goes down injured or has an equipment problem the next man on depth chart automatically goes into the game unless a coach specifically tells them not to do it.  In the Purdue game I think Robinson was dinged up and Mills had a shoe come off or something.  My guess is he went into the game without even being told anything one way or another.  

But with that being said, if he goes in the game he might as well play more than 1 play in that game. 

On the subject of the thread.  I am not apathetic about the season.  I wouldn't be posting and talking about if I was apathetic. College football season is the shortest of all the sports seasons.  It is basically 3 months long.  Nebraska is my team, and I love to see them win, but I like to watch college football in general.  I had the TV on all day Saturday while I got things ready for a dinner party at our house.  After everyone left I watched the end of the BSU/Wyoming game. 

I am really mad about the last 2 games.  They should have won them.  I want to see them win the games that they should win.  I will watch every Nebraska game left this year, because I like college football and they are my team.