We can't, but Oregon State can?

tmfr15

Nebraska "enjoys" a bye week this week and, meanwhile, Oregon State will be at home against Washington.

The Huskies are favored and should roll, but, here is the thing... Oregon State is coming off a record evening win on the road at Arizona, 56-38. Washington might come in hung over after they let one get away against Utah. Washington looked like it had it in the bag.

Here's what's sad, Oregon State doesn't have to beat Washington to do what Nebraska can't. They already have done that. And they could add more.

The Beavers have four games left, including the game Saturday. Assuming a loss to Washington (and I ask for this humbly as it would be a stinging wound to see otherwise) the Beavers would then play Arizona State and Washington State, two middle of the road teams, before closing with imposing Oregon in the Civil War game, which is dominated by the Ducks.

This is the second year of a new coach at Oregon State, and he appears to be doing slightly better than Nebraska. What a crock! This is why we are nervous around here. This should not be happening.

Oregon State has been a train wreck. Despite that fact OSU has won its last two on the road.... back-to-back no less. Nebraska has one road win in the Frost tenure. Just one.

If Oregon State wins against Arizona and Washington State, they'll go bowling. We likely won't.

These are the moments that I just have a hard time seeing what's happening with Nebraska and believing its going to get any better. I am NOT calling for jobs for two reasons.

1. What coach would do well here given that we have had three coaches in a five-year stretch? That's a major recruiting disruptor.

And...

2. I am so tired of the fire and hire cycle and the patience bull crap and so forth.

I am trying to work my head around the idea that the Husker program I have identified with for my entire lifetime... I was born in the 70s, is GONE and may NEVER come back.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Oregon State has long had better coaches and played against much tougher rivals than N.

If you played in the Pac 8-10-12 with your coaching and recruiting you would have a worse 

track record and a more realistic view of your place in college football as a has been.

Jonathan Smith is OSU's scott frost, and has them looking better every week. N not so much.

Proof would have been obvious by now if frost was the real deal, but keep hoping for next year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 8
55 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

I am trying to work my head around the idea that the Husker program I have identified with for my entire lifetime... I was born in the 70s, is GONE and may NEVER come back.

Yeah, that's how time works (unless you're traveling faster than light). The 70s are indeed gone and are never coming back, as are the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and the few seconds I spent reading what appears to be a desperate cry for help. 

• Haha 2

Oregon State in total offense ranked dead last in Pacific 12 prior to Smith arriving.  Two seasons later they're 4th in conference in total offense and scoring offense.  We've dropped from 7th in Riley's last lame duck season to 9th two years later in scoring offense.  Personally I would like to see where our offense would be right now under Riley and with all the players that he recruited.

Gary Anderson left Oregon state near the bottom of nearly every statistical category.  So how has Smith turned them around so quickly?  Why are they scoring so many points and winning on the road?  They won at cu last year, we couldn't beat cu at home last year or on the road this year after they entirely changed staffs and systems.  I still think had we supported MR we would be in a much stronger place right now.  But we didn't, so instead of complaining about coaching in a last minute road WIN at Purdue, we're defending choaching in a loss to Purdue.  

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

I really liked the Jonathan Smith hire for Oregon State, he did a really nice job under Petersen when he was at UW.  I feel like a lot of their success this year has been due to the fact they actually have a QB finally.  Luton has always shown promise but he couldn't stay healthy.  He's finally been able to put together a clean season and you can see the results.  Nebraska obviously thought highly of Hodgins and he sure would've been a terrific weapon in this offense.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, steverio said:

Oregon State has long had better coaches and played against much tougher rivals than N.

If you played in the Pac 8-10-12 with your coaching and recruiting you would have a worse 

track record and a more realistic view of your place in college football as a has been.

Jonathan Smith is OSU's scott frost, and has them looking better every week. N not so much.

Proof would have been obvious by now if frost was the real deal, but keep hoping for next year.

32 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Oregon State in total offense ranked dead last in Pacific 12 prior to Smith arriving.  Two seasons later they're 4th in conference in total offense and scoring offense.  We've dropped from 7th in Riley's last lame duck season to 9th two years later in scoring offense.  Personally I would like to see where our offense would be right now under Riley and with all the players that he recruited.

Gary Anderson left Oregon state near the bottom of nearly every statistical category.  So how has Smith turned them around so quickly?  Why are they scoring so many points and winning on the road?  They won at cu last year, we couldn't beat cu at home last year or on the road this year after they entirely changed staffs and systems.  I still think had we supported MR we would be in a much stronger place right now.  But we didn't, so instead of complaining about coaching in a last minute road WIN at Purdue, we're defending choaching in a loss to Purdue.  

There is no way the bolded can be anybody's actual opinion

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, steverio said:

28 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Personally I would like to see where our offense would be right now under Riley and with all the players that he recruited.

tenor.gif

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1