We can't, but Oregon State can?

tmfr15

3 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

Nebraska "enjoys" a bye week this week and, meanwhile, Oregon State will be at home against Washington.

The Huskies are favored and should roll, but, here is the thing... Oregon State is coming off a record evening win on the road at Arizona, 56-38. Washington might come in hung over after they let one get away against Utah. Washington looked like it had it in the bag.

Here's what's sad, Oregon State doesn't have to beat Washington to do what Nebraska can't. They already have done that. And they could add more.

The Beavers have four games left, including the game Saturday. Assuming a loss to Washington (and I ask for this humbly as it would be a stinging wound to see otherwise) the Beavers would then play Arizona State and Washington State, two middle of the road teams, before closing with imposing Oregon in the Civil War game, which is dominated by the Ducks.

This is the second year of a new coach at Oregon State, and he appears to be doing slightly better than Nebraska. What a crock! This is why we are nervous around here. This should not be happening.

Oregon State has been a train wreck. Despite that fact OSU has won its last two on the road.... back-to-back no less. Nebraska has one road win in the Frost tenure. Just one.

If Oregon State wins against Arizona and Washington State, they'll go bowling. We likely won't.

These are the moments that I just have a hard time seeing what's happening with Nebraska and believing its going to get any better. I am NOT calling for jobs for two reasons.

1. What coach would do well here given that we have had three coaches in a five-year stretch? That's a major recruiting disruptor.

And...

2. I am so tired of the fire and hire cycle and the patience bull crap and so forth.

I am trying to work my head around the idea that the Husker program I have identified with for my entire lifetime... I was born in the 70s, is GONE and may NEVER come back.

The game is tonight.  OSU is ahead of schedule right now.  Andersen left a complete dumpster fire.  He got rid of a bunch of Riley's kids including three QB's who started at Florida, Fresno and Iowa State after leaving.  I thought OSU would be lucky to win 2 game this season, so this is a pleasant surprise.  They're doing it by getting transfers (including a few of ours) and playing pretty good on offense.  The D is still bad, but Beaver fans have nothing to complain about.  This season has been much better than predicted.  

• Plus1 1

tmfr15: “I am trying to work my head around the idea that the Husker program I have identified with for my entire lifetime... I was born in the 70s, is GONE and may NEVER come back. “

A little clarification. The Husker program of the 1970s etc. is still there. The City of Lincoln did not move somewhere else. Memorial Stadium is still there, though a bit larger. Huskers still wear Red (although some would argue lately it’s been looking a bit pink-ish). Husker fans still obsess over the team. Corn is still grown in the State of Nebraska. Beef is still found in Omaha.

What you may have identified with mostly is the SUCCESS of the Huskers of the past, not the parts that make up Huskers football. Much of Husker Nation is having anxiety over this same thing since that success has gone missing.

What to do? Don’t identify only with “success” (as in lots of wins) only. Enjoy the games for what they are - win or lose. These young men are only going to be on that field a short time. They will go on to other careers and other challenges. These years are a big deal to them. Whether they win or lose is important... but not as important as that they develop into outstanding persons in their lives and that Husker fans can find something in these games to enjoy even if it’s only complaining to each other after a loss.

Enjoy the Husker successes already achieved and simply hope for the best going forward.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Image result for stupidest

I don't think it's stupid at all.  Had the boosters left things alone, Diaco would never have lived in Lincoln.  Think of the 2017 season, what was the biggest problem?  Riley or Diaco's matador defense?  That team would have gone bowling with Banker as the DC IMHO.  Last season would have been Gebbia throwing to Spielman, Tyjon Lindsey and probably Isiah Hodgins and Jamire Calvin.  The hiring of Diaco set a lot of things in motion.  None of them good.  

• Plus1 6

Whatever you’re bringing up, it sounds like some sort of glimmer of positive for Oregon State football and somehow Nebraska is mentioned.

with whatever that may be, the connection from OSU and NU is OSU is 5? Years removed from Riley. Nebraska only 2 years. So we got 3 more years of trying to get rid of the Riley effect.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

There is no way the bolded can be anybody's actual opinion

I don't actually think so, it just gets old listening to N fans continually make new excuses  for 

a lack of development. If Oregon State can show progress with way less talent, facilities, and

fan base in less than two years then Frost needs to talk less and produce more. Its been a really

weak feeling watching the Huskers this year

5 minutes ago, steverio said:

I don't actually think so, it just gets old listening to N fans continually make new excuses  for 

a lack of development. If Oregon State can show progress with way less talent, facilities, and

fan base in less than two years then Frost needs to talk less and produce more. Its been a really

weak feeling watching the Huskers this year

It almost begs the question, if a coach at Oregon State can do more with less, what could he do at Nebraska with having more.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

It's not surprising Oregon State could have a nice season any time their head coach isn't named Riley.

I know Mike Riley didn't work out at Nebraska, but he remains the winningest coach in OSU history,. He went 6-2 in bowl games at Oregon State, doubling the bowl appearances in the schools' 100+ year history.  OSU hasn't gone to a bowl game since Riley left. 

Pretty sure Beaver fans would take the 8, 9, and 10 win seasons of Riley's modest heyday.

Riley isn't missed. Frost will get his chance. Probably should let the poor guy go. 

• Plus1 3