We can't, but Oregon State can?

tmfr15

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I don't think it's stupid at all.  Had the boosters left things alone, Diaco would never have lived in Lincoln.  Think of the 2017 season, what was the biggest problem?  Riley or Diaco's matador defense?  That team would have gone bowling with Banker as the DC IMHO.  Last season would have been Gebbia throwing to Spielman, Tyjon Lindsey and probably Isiah Hodgins and Jamire Calvin.  The hiring of Diaco set a lot of things in motion.  None of them good.  

Wait. What?

Even in a parallel unprovable universe, this doesn't make sense. 

• Plus1 3

Hmm... Sagarin, FPI, and SP+ have Nebraska at 60, 59, and 50, respectively, and Oregon State at 64, 63, and 59, respectively. I think it would be more accurate to say that both teams are in a Riley-esque place, and trying to escape.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know Mike Riley didn't work out at Nebraska, but he remains the winningest coach in OSU history,. He went 6-2 in bowl games at Oregon State, doubling the bowl appearances in the schools' 100+ year history.  OSU hasn't gone to a bowl game since Riley left. 

Pretty sure Beaver fans would take the 8, 9, and 10 win seasons of Riley's modest heyday.

Riley isn't missed. Frost will get his chance. Probably should let the poor guy go. 

I agree.

But a question of curiosity.....that you don't need to answer....would you take your own advice on this subject regarding Bo Pelini?

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

The pac12 isn’t anywhere close to the big10.  Right there could explain some of the difficulty 

Somebody put up some numbers a few weeks back showing that when the Big 10 and Pac 12 champs have met each other over the past 20 years or so, the Pac 12 champ has won most of those games.  I also know the worst team in the Pac 12 this season is Colorado.  Colorado has as many wins against Pac 12 schools as they do against Nebraska schools.   

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

I still think had we supported MR we would be in a much stronger place right now.  But we didn't, so instead of complaining about coaching in a last minute road WIN at Purdue, we're defending choaching in a loss to Purdue.  

How is this not a bannable offense?  Someone eff this thread up with ads so we can't read it....

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. What?

Even in a parallel unprovable universe, this doesn't make sense. 

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I stand by what I said.  UNL would be in better shape today had Diaco not been hired.  Riley would have "his" kids.  We'd have the depth we don't have now because kids left or were jettisoned.  We'd have an identity with a pro style offense and players recruited to play it.  Instead, we're staring at our third straight 4-8 season with no real reason to think things will improve except for hope.  Hope isn't something concrete to build on.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Somebody put up some numbers a few weeks back showing that when the Big 10 and Pac 12 champs have met each other over the past 20 years or so, the Pac 12 champ has won most of those games.  I also know the worst team in the Pac 12 this season is Colorado.  Colorado has as many wins against Pac 12 schools as they do against Nebraska schools.   

Did they actually use the champs, or did they just use the Rose Bowl? Because the Rose Bowl would be pretty jacked up. The Pac and B1G didn't meet every year during the BCS. The late aughts we're dominated by Pete Carol then Chip Kelly came along. Then you have tOSU and Penn St being ineligible, and Nebraska s#!tting the bed to let an 8-5 Wisconsin team in... You also have top BCS/Playoff teams not playing in the Rose Bowl for obvious reasons.

47 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I stand by what I said.  UNL would be in better shape today had Diaco not been hired.  Riley would have "his" kids.  We'd have the depth we don't have now because kids left or were jettisoned.  We'd have an identity with a pro style offense and players recruited to play it.  Instead, we're staring at our third straight 4-8 season with no real reason to think things will improve except for hope.  Hope isn't something concrete to build on.

Dog your high. Under Riley the team didn’t even lift. Remember when Frost’s workout sent that Tyjon lindsay kid to the hospital? 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Diaco was obviously a mess, but Riley's offense was 84th in the nation in 2017. In 2016 it was 79th, in 2015 it was 44th and the year before he came it was 12th. 

It's not like things were even remotely trending in the right direction or building towards something. His offense got worse the more of his players he got. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Diaco was obviously a mess, but Riley's offense was 84th in the nation in 2017. In 2016 it was 79th, in 2015 it was 44th and the year before he came it was 12th. 

It's not like things were even remotely trending in the right direction or building towards something. His offense got worse the more of his players he got. 

Everyone knows Nebraskans read stats upside down....I mean would you rather have 1 of something..or 100 of something?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Oregon State in total offense ranked dead last in Pacific 12 prior to Smith arriving.  Two seasons later they're 4th in conference in total offense and scoring offense.  We've dropped from 7th in Riley's last lame duck season to 9th two years later in scoring offense.  Personally I would like to see where our offense would be right now under Riley and with all the players that he recruited.

Gary Anderson left Oregon state near the bottom of nearly every statistical category.  So how has Smith turned them around so quickly?  Why are they scoring so many points and winning on the road?  They won at cu last year, we couldn't beat cu at home last year or on the road this year after they entirely changed staffs and systems.  I still think had we supported MR we would be in a much stronger place right now.  But we didn't, so instead of complaining about coaching in a last minute road WIN at Purdue, we're defending choaching in a loss to Purdue.  

You had me until the last 2 sentences.  I'd still rather have Frost than Riley even if he ends up being ultimately a failure, too.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, TheSker said:

I agree.

But a question of curiosity.....that you don't need to answer....would you take your own advice on this subject regarding Bo Pelini?

If the subject is whether I miss Bo Pelini or Mike Riley, my answer would be the same. No.

But yeah.  I would step in if people were getting misty about Bo. So maybe I wouldn't let the poor guy go. 

The exact subject at hand would be "it's not surprising Nebraska could have a nice season any time their head coach isn't named Pelini" and that doesn't quite work either.