High Energy Coaches/Players

Watching the Minnesota/Penn St game and both Franklin and Fleck gave fiery pre-game speeches. Penn State QB out there shouting about "Sink the F'in Boat". I know that isn't Frost's thing - he is cut from the same cloth at TO. TO had Charlie though, who was a junk yard dog. Curious if you guys think this is something we are missing. I think Frost is waiting for this to develop among the players naturally - but in college it's something you kind of have to manufacture. Don't get me wrong I think having a calm even tempered coach can be a huge asset - but you need that energy somewhere. Seems like too many times before the game, during the game, coming out of the half, the camera pans to our coaches and players and we look like a bunch of dudes who have to be there to get credit for a class. Your thoughts???

• Plus1 1

Back during the time after we fired Pelini. I was all on the Fleck train, with every goofy antic he has. He's a players coach. Plus building Western Michigan is 100 times more impressive than UCF, considering the geographics.

That statement is by no means ill will toward Frost. I think he's the right guy as I was all about him coming home too, but i'd like to see him bring energy by changing up the assistants some. I'd also like to see him go out and get some analysts like other schools do by bringing in former head coaches. I mean Butch Jones is at Alabama! Schiano is at OSU.

I get the sense that Frost is a control guy though, and that he doesn't want others opinion. (totally unfounded comment and completely non factual opinion)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I agree. Don't get me wrong I love nice people. Nice coaches and players. Sometimes I miss the intensity of Pelini. Frost is as timid as Riley. It was nice to see him rip Davis on the sidelines for being a dummy. Sometimes a "we'll get them on the next drive, son" and pat on the back only goes so far

As far as players, Garrett Nelson's energy is unmatched. It needs to be contagious. He's a psycho. I wish AM had a little more swagger to him. Last season vs Iowa. The TD run and shimmy in the face and Morgan Jr. had to pull him off  .. I loved it! Not saying he has to be a Baker Mayfield or Johnny Manziel but I want some type of confidence and edge and not like he just took a bong rip to the dome.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

I said this in another thread but i think frost might be putting to much responsibility on the players when it comes to establishing the culture he wants. No player in this roster has been part of a winning college program. I know he wants to do things the osborne way but they inherited two completely different teams. I really wish he had a veteran coordinator that was a fiery guy. 

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

I said this in another thread but i think frost might be putting to much responsibility on the players when it comes to establishing the culture he wants. No player in this roster has been part of a winning college program. I know he wants to do things the osborne way but they inherited two completely different teams. I really wish he had a veteran coordinator that was a fiery guy. 

I can see this, especially coming from a laid back, Mike Riley culture. O'Leary was an a$$, but in terms of accountability his mindset was just about opposite of Riley. So at UCF I'm guessing it was a lot easier to turn over responsibility to the players - because they were recruited and coached into a culture of accountability from day 1. Frost doesn't have that luxury here. This isn't passing the blame either, it's on Frost to diagnose that and fix that. And I agree with you on the veteran coordinator thing - this is a different rebuild then UCF - it requires different pieces - and I think you nailed the glaring omission. 

• Thanks 2

I think this works best on the defensive side of the ball where out working a more talented opponent can get you big wins in the college game.  Sacks and TFLs also cause huge momentum changes.  The opposing offense is frustrated because they often are just short and may even cause them to get off their script and execute worse.  I don’t see anyone who has grabbed this mantel on our team yet.  

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I agree.  If the culture you want is not there.  Then YOU as the HC establish it. Lay out what it is, how it looks and make it happen.

To the OP, there is an article from Sip with Ruud.....It talks about Ruud favoring execution over emotion.  IMHO, college is an emotional game.  You are not getting paid millions.....and you are 100% that McBride was all into guys grills for not holding up the culture of NU.....I'd like a lot more emotion and passion on the sidelines.  Winning and losing....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-ruud-favors-execution-over-emotion-frost-s/article_008afe09-f44a-5cff-ab58-476fa9f2f994.html

This is our current culture....SMH

At any rate, the scribbles said it looked like Nebraska's defenders were punching a time clock at work, basically waiting for the day to end. I was looking closely to see if a few Blackshirts might visibly exhort teammates -- a la Ray Lewis or Jason Peter -- to dig in and make a play. To show raw emotion.

Stille, a Nebraska junior defensive lineman from Ashland, told reporters after the game that emotion isn't all that important in that situation. He said it's about "making plays and doing your job." Purdue's 93rd-ranked offense was sharper in that regard in the final minutes, and the Boilermakers prevailed 31-27 at home.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  If the culture you want is not there.  Then YOU as the HC establish it. Lay out what it is, how it looks and make it happen.

To the OP, there is an article from Sip with Ruud.....It talks about Ruud favoring execution over emotion.  IMHO, college is an emotional game.  You are not getting paid millions.....and you are 100% that McBride was all into guys grills for not holding up the culture of NU.....I'd like a lot more emotion and passion on the sidelines.  Winning and losing....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-ruud-favors-execution-over-emotion-frost-s/article_008afe09-f44a-5cff-ab58-476fa9f2f994.html

This is our current culture....SMH

At any rate, the scribbles said it looked like Nebraska's defenders were punching a time clock at work, basically waiting for the day to end. I was looking closely to see if a few Blackshirts might visibly exhort teammates -- a la Ray Lewis or Jason Peter -- to dig in and make a play. To show raw emotion.

Stille, a Nebraska junior defensive lineman from Ashland, told reporters after the game that emotion isn't all that important in that situation. He said it's about "making plays and doing your job." Purdue's 93rd-ranked offense was sharper in that regard in the final minutes, and the Boilermakers prevailed 31-27 at home.

If he favors execution why do the inside backers over pursue over and over again? I'd point to a coaching issue since all three guys barry, honas and miller play the same way.

Just now, LumberJackSker said:

If he favors execution why do the inside backers over pursue over and over again? I'd point to a coaching issue since all three guys barry, honas and miller play the same way.

Shhhhh...Don't blame  the staff........I would agree.  A continuation of the same issues by the same players with no adjustments is a coaching issue.....If it is all about the right fit/reads, wouldn't it be better in this scheme to have a "less athletic player" who can properly play the position be on the field.....

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Shhhhh...Don't blame  the staff........I would agree.  A continuation of the same issues by the same players with no adjustments is a coaching issue.....If it is all about the right fit/reads, wouldn't it be better in this scheme to have a "less athletic player" who can properly play the position be on the field.....

I hope for a day when Nebraska hires experienced and qualified coordinators and assistants. Until then we must wait as they learn on the job and hope they will someday know how to do the job they were hired for.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Who exactly is that less athletic player you're going to put in?

Names would be helpful.

• Haha 1