High Energy Coaches/Players

32 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Who exactly is that less athletic player you're going to put in?

Names would be helpful.

I'll name them when you name guys (or Captains) not bought in................

Responding to a previous comment about all the ILB's are making poor run fits/wrong reads etc....Yet they continue to play. If that's the case, play the guys who might not be as athletic, but make the correct reads/fits.  This way, slower, less agile guy "insert" any Freshman/RsF and see if simply having a body in the gap/lane will help the D.  At leasy this way, there will be a body in the way of the RB/WR/TE.....

• Plus1 1

Maybe it's my own bias, but it seems the last several years that Nebraska teams have played with very little energy or urgency. In fact, it often seems like our opponents are constantly "getting up" to play Nebraska while our guys look like they want to get the game over with and go hit the Brass Rail. OU 2009 and Miami 2014 are about the only games that come to mind where it felt the team had that energy/sense of urgency. I think playing Nebraska is still a big deal for teams. It just doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal to our players. 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Who exactly is that less athletic player you're going to put in?

Names would be helpful.

I’d be willing to put anyone in that shows any kind of a pulse, excitement, flies around to the ball, gets in their teammate’s face after any good/bad play.  All at the same time hoping said starter takes it as a challenge to step up his game while proving to the team that NO ONE is exempt from standards of effort and play set by said staff.  But that’s just me and obviously not this staffs MO.  Supposedly the players should do it to “adjust culture”

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

I’d be willing to put anyone in that shows any kind of a pulse, excitement, flies around to the ball, gets in their teammate’s face after any good/bad play.  All at the same time hoping said starter takes it as a challenge to step up his game while proving to the team that NO ONE is exempt from standards of effort and play set by said staff.  But that’s just me and obviously not this staffs MO.  Supposedly the players should do it to “adjust culture”

Benching guys sets culture.....Plain and simple.  Frost wants to flip it?  Bench it...

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'll name them when you name guys (or Captains) not bought in................

Responding to a previous comment about all the ILB's are making poor run fits/wrong reads etc....Yet they continue to play. If that's the case, play the guys who might not be as athletic, but make the correct reads/fits.  This way, slower, less agile guy "insert" any Freshman/RsF and see if simply having a body in the gap/lane will help the D.  At leasy this way, there will be a body in the way of the RB/WR/TE.....

I said our captains are not talented enough.

You can't name names because we have no linebacker depth.

26 minutes ago, lo country said:

Benching guys sets culture.....Plain and simple.  Frost wants to flip it?  Bench it...

Internet coaching

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dunno, you seem to be internet coaching when you state our captains aren't talented enough.  I doubt Frost would keep them in if there was better talent behind them.

There's not.

Thus the current talent issue.

One of our captains is playing out of position at RT.

Who ya gonna play in Barry's place?

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dunno, you seem to be internet coaching when you state our captains aren't talented enough.  I doubt Frost would keep them in if there was better talent behind them.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I said our captains are not talented enough.

You can't name names because we have no linebacker depth.

Internet coaching

Here you go.....Now I will type slowly....IF the starters are having issues....they won't listen/miss reads/keys etc.....PLAY someone else.....Here is the entire list of our current ILB's....take out Henrich, Honas, Mo and Miller......PLAY these guys to see if their body can find it's way into the appropriate gap....No system works when the player is not in the proper gap/position.  At least this way, the RB/WR/TE would have to go through or around a guy instead of having  a wide open lane....It would also send a clear and definitive message that no spot is safe (heard that all season) and proves that Blackshirts are truly rented (heard that all season) and also the Fear of failure doesn't mean you can get away with sub par performance (heard that all year)

As it relates to your initial comments, IIRC, it was players, then leaders then captains.....That's your opinion.....

As it relates to internet coaching....come on man.  

Unsure if the list above clearly denotes all those guys are eiligible/available to play.  But it is names....

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here you go.....Now I will type slowly....IF the starters are having issues....they won't listen/miss reads/keys etc.....PLAY someone else.....Here is the entire list of our current ILB's....take out Henrich, Honas, Mo and Miller......PLAY these guys to see if their body can find it's way into the appropriate gap....No system works when the player is not in the proper gap/position.  At least this way, the RB/WR/TE would have to go through or around a guy instead of having  a wide open lane....It would also send a clear and definitive message that no spot is safe (heard that all season) and proves that Blackshirts are truly rented (heard that all season) and also the Fear of failure doesn't mean you can get away with sub par performance (heard that all year)

As it relates to your initial comments, IIRC, it was players, then leaders then captains.....That's your opinion.....

Unsure if the list above clearly denotes all those guys are eiligible/available to play.  But it is names....

You are coming to the crux of the issue. Frost literally can’t play anyone else besides the starters in most positions, because the only players behind them are freshmen who are not physically or mentally ready to play. You think it’s the easy move to just play someone else, but there isn’t someone else at this time. 

• Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There's not.

Thus the current talent issue.

One of our captains is playing out of position at RT.

Who ya gonna play in Barry's place?

Exactly.

Hmmm.  So now lack of talent is the issue, not leadership or being bought in?  It's true Farniok is a G and not a tackle.  He admits as much himself (couldn't another true tackle have been developed by now).  Daniel's appears to do his job very well (a Frost guy).  AM doesn't appear to instill any confidence in me as a leader.  By his body language or passion during the game (a Frost guy).  That leaves Mo.....A passionate guy who is a step or too late or misses reads...Great motor though...odd that for lack of talent he leads the team in tackles.....

I'm just tired of the culture issue.  Is there one?  Sure. The team isn't playing to the "eye test standard".  Unfortunately, this is year 2 of the same song and verse.  I thought culture had flipped after game 6 last year. Obviously Frost, teams and fans were wrong....Culture was the culprit for Bo (Cally's guys too soft), then Bo was too mean and angry and the kids took on the FTW culture..The Riley was like Mr Rogers....Culture has been the stickman for the past 15 years....

The question is, what is FROST doing to change it?  What is the culture he envisions?  What is his vision?  A tougher team?  A team that can come out ready in the 3rd quarter?  He says he has never faced these issues before as a coach.....What does he do?  I really ask as I have no answer....Not sure he does either.  NOT A KNOCK, just a thought he might need to get some outside advice from someone not associated with the program. 

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Every single name listed is a freshman or redshirt freshman.

If some of these guys develop....damn!

I'm very excited about Hannah and Heinrich 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are coming to the crux of the issue. Frost literally can’t play anyone else besides the starters in most positions, because the only players behind them are freshmen who are not physically or mentally ready to play. You think it’s the easy move to just play someone else, but there isn’t someone else at this time. 

I just can't believe that we are that void of talent.  If so, it's every friggin position.  WR for sure, RB......OL.....DL.......No real rotation at all.  NO attempt to develop depth or no depth available?  If there is limited to no depth, we are then 2-3 years from being competitive....The next two years could easily look like the first two...

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Hmmm.  So now lack of talent is the issue, not leadership or being bought in?  It's true Farniok is a G and not a tackle.  He admits as much himself (couldn't another true tackle have been developed by now).  Daniel's appears to do his job very well (a Frost guy).  AM doesn't appear to instill any confidence in me as a leader.  By his body language or passion during the game (a Frost guy).  That leaves Mo.....A passionate guy who is a step or too late or misses reads...Great motor though...odd that for lack of talent he leads the team in tackles.....

I'm just tired of the culture issue.  Is there one?  Sure. The team isn't playing to the "eye test standard".  Unfortunately, this is year 2 of the same song and verse.  I thought culture had flipped after game 6 last year. Obviously Frost, teams and fans were wrong....Culture was the culprit for Bo (Cally's guys too soft), then Bo was too mean and angry and the kids took on the FTW culture..The Riley was like Mr Rogers....Culture has been the stickman for the past 15 years....

The question is, what is FROST doing to change it?  What is the culture he envisions?  What is his vision?  A tougher team?  A team that can come out ready in the 3rd quarter?  He says he has never faced these issues before as a coach.....What does he do?  I really ask as I have no answer....Not sure he does either.  NOT A KNOCK, just a thought he might need to get some outside advice from someone not associated with the program. 

I've been beating the talent drum pretty hard.

I have not been beating the "not bought in" drum.

I do think leadership is an issue, but that will change.  By leadership issues, I'm referring to our captains not being good enough at their positions.  But they are the best option......for now.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Every single name listed is a freshman or redshirt freshman.

If some of these guys develop....damn!

I'm very excited about Hannah and Heinrich 

I realize that they are all young.  My point being could we do worse by trying these guys out?  I wish we could just to see if they are as advertised.  I would not expect them to play at the level of a starter per say, but if the staff can see them making the correct reads/fits, but just get out muscled I can live with that.  They will get stronger.  Just wish that we would make a dedicated  push to get younger guys playing time.  Gonna need the experience the next few years.

On paper, the youth look great.  I am just worried about the attrition that has seemed to be an issue for years.  Have to find a way to keep the kids we get and develop them...