High Energy Coaches/Players

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I've been beating the talent drum pretty hard.

I have not been beating the "not bought in" drum.

I do think leadership is an issue, but that will change.  By leadership issues, I'm referring to our captains not being good enough at their positions.  But they are the best option......for now.

I would have a hard time being a player, knowing I voted for these guys and not seeing them excel on the field and dominate.  Lead by example.....Gotta be hard.

Just now, TheSker said:

Yes it is.  Except quarterback.

You literally just posted the linebacker list.  It's all freshmen and RS freshmen!

Haha.  You asked for names:D

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I just can't believe that we are that void of talent.  If so, it's every friggin position.  WR for sure, RB......OL.....DL.......No real rotation at all.  NO attempt to develop depth or no depth available?  If there is limited to no depth, we are then 2-3 years from being competitive....The next two years could easily look like the first two...

There basically is no one left from the 2017 class, who should be providing depth and competition to the older guys this year. The 2018 class was tough because of the transition year, and many of those guys aren’t planning out. Frost is preferring to redshirt almost all of the true freshmen so they are physically and mentally ready to be good players.  Whether you agree with that idea or not, that’s the decision Frost is going with. There are 8 o-linemen who are redshirt or true freshmen. Those guys will be the base of the offense going forward. Mix in more depth at the skill positions next year and the team should be better.

I am disappointed with the current 4-5 record, but the team is close to being 7-2, and they are close to being 2-7.  It’s just the situation the roster is in right now.

You may not want to admit it, but the team was a complete rebuild. I expected more wins in close games, but those haven’t happened. By pure regression to the mean, NU should start winning more of those close games in the next 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I would have a hard time being a player, knowing I voted for these guys and not seeing them excel on the field and dominate.  Lead by example.....Gotta be hard.

Haha.  You asked for names:D

I agree.....and I think the choice of captains is going to be interesting next year.

Our talent gap has Frost very very frustrated this season.  But I think not burning 'shirts is better for the long term.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Are the players supposed to pick the “best leaders” or the “best players” as captains?  It helps if they are the same players, but it doesn’t always happen. 

I don't know. I guess my point is that the captains are inconsistent and undisciplined, and the players that "look up to them" are the same. Especially at the LB position

Just now, Igetbored216 said:

I don't know. I guess my point is that the captains are inconsistent and undisciplined, and the players that "look up to them" are the same. Especially at the LB position

There is a clear dichotomy between the older players and the younger players. I don’t know if the younger players “look up” to those older players like they may have done in fall camp. I agree that it’s frustrating when guys like Barry, Farniok, and even Martinez have been inconsistent and undisciplined. Shoot, Farniok was calling for Jurgens to be benched, and I think Jurgens has been the best o-linemen this season.

Ideally, the team captains would be all seniors, but the roster isn’t there to do that this year or even next year. Plus, I know that players do the voting for the captains, but if it’s “secret” voting the coaches can rig the votes to get certain players elected captain. 

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Minny and Illinois are really hating the idea of rebuilding a culture by throwing their young pups to the wolves the last two years.  So have plenty of other teams.  

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Frost wants to have these guys ready to do well and be strong contributors when they do play.

Looking at the true freshmen, I don’t know if there are any besides Rahmir Johnson who could have been used better this year. Benhart will probably get some more time the last 3 games, but he needs a year in the weight room to be playing regularly. Henrich would have played this year, if he didn’t injure his shoulder. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Frost wants to have these guys ready to do well and be strong contributors when they do play.

Looking at the true freshmen, I don’t know if there are any besides Rahmir Johnson who could have been used better this year. Benhart will probably get some more time the last 3 games, but he needs a year in the weight room to be playing regularly. Henrich would have played this year, if he didn’t injure his shoulder. 

I hope the freshman are amazing, or saving them to play was a waste of time.

I also think the staff could use the four games rule so much better, but instead it's one or two plays a game. The management of this has been pretty pathetic. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

I also think the staff could use the four games rule so much better, but instead it's one or two plays a game. The management of this has been pretty pathetic. 

Not sure what you mean by your first statement, but I do agree that the management of the 4 games rule could have been handled better. Of course, it’s challenging to throw young guys in there when every play in almost every game has been meaningful. The biggest head-scratcher to me has been Rahmir Johnson. They insist on saving his RS, but him playing for one snap without a touch against Purdue was puzzling. 

20 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Rahmir says hello....3 games and I think a total of 3 snaps...I'd at least play them all to let them get a feel for what B1G football is.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree with Rahmir, but what other true freshmen should be playing more?

I'd like to have seen Benhart/Fritzshe get some meaningful snaps.  Maybe Johnson/Reimer at ILB.  Seeing as how our other TE's have gone MIA actually try to get the ball to Hickman and finish burning his RS.

I think the four game rule would really let the staff see where they are with the freshman.  I wouldn't expect them to "play as well" as a more senior guy, but be great to see their footwork/reads/fits/route running etc against real competition that for whatever reasons seem to be getting the better of us this year.  If a guy gets beat, but the fundamentals are there, that's fixable with S&C, if the guy looks a as F upped as a football bat, I'd rather see it now as a coach than next year in a game....Seems like we have a lot of great practices that don't translate.  I'd feel more comfortable as a coach seeing how recruits go against someone other than ourselves.